Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY1986 View Post
Okay well I'm from the East coast obviously and I graduated High School on June 16th of '11. I pretty much was forced to take the year off due to my horrid home life (believe me), and during the year I spent some of my savings on a trip throughout California and honestly that was the best week of my life.

Anyhow, I really want to get my life started now and if possible, I'd like to do so in California. I heard it's cheaper to go to colleges with 100% acceptance rates as well as community colleges.. especially out of state, and I saw quite a few schools.

Is it a dumb idea for me to go all the way there to start a new life? I want to go for GE(General Education).

The plan would be to get in a school with campus housing, get a job, and during breaks and summers and what have you, just get housing off campus.

I seriously dream about California and honestly the West in general since I've been all across it. I want to achieve my dream before it's too late and I feel like if I stay here I'll just waste my life and be nothing. I'm a smart guy.. I have dreams and aspirations.

Anyhow.. is my idea possible? Is it ridiculous?

Thanks!

If you work hard enough for it any dream is possible. Your choice.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 AM

30,904 posts, read 37,005,119 times
Quote:
I heard that San Jose was a good idea. Basically I've been across the entire state. I don't mind living ANYWHERE in the state, but ideally I want SoCal. I wonder if the SF Valley is doable.
I live in San Jose and it is a nice city but very expensive. Studio apartments can rent for $1000 a month or more here (easily). It's also on the dull side for a large city. It's also not in SoCal.

Honestly, it really doesn't sound like you are ready to move out here. It's really obvious you haven't done your homework.

I really liked what the 22 year old said. You ARE living your life wherever you are. Your life doesn't "start" just because you move some place. You make the most of what you have wherever you are. That might mean getting away from an unhealthy home life.....but it doesn't necessarily mean moving across the country to a very high cost state with minimal education/job qualifications.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Well the guy that advised me to go to San Jose must be a complete idiot then. Sorry. To be honest, like I said I'll take anywhere in the state while I build myself. As you can hopefully tell, I have a good head on my shoulders so I think this is 100% doable with the right mindset.
I'm not tryinig to be mean, but it doesn't sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. You sound like I did when I was your age. Reasonably smart, but very unrealistic about the economic and other practical realities of life. I went through a VERY RUDE awakening process for 6 years before I finally wised up. I'm trying to prevent you from winding up in the same situation I ended up in.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-13-2012 at 12:34 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 AM

7,371 posts, read 16,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm not tryinig to be mean, but it doesn't sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. You sound like I did when I was your age. Reasonably smart, but very unrealistic about the economic and other practical realities of life. I went through a VERY RUDE awakening for 6 years before I finally wised up. I'm trying to prevent you from winding up in the same situation I ended up in.
Heed this advice, unless you want to wake up surrounded by a bunch of angry and violent drunks.
How do I know this?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Ok I'll give LA a shot. I loved it a lot when I was there. Thanks everyone, for helping! I'll be posting back in a few months to let you guys know if I succeeded or not.
We really would like to hear what happens, as a lot of people post here asking questions and then never let us know.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:34 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,908,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you work hard enough for it any dream is possible. Your choice.
Quick mental exercise for fun:
there are 32 NFL teams ...
each team has a maximum roster of 45 players ...
this means there are a total of 1440 professional football players in the NFL in any given year ...
the average NFL player spends 3.5 seasons playing in the league ...
most NFL players enter the league about age 22 and are finished well before age 35 ...
so about 13 years of a young man's life is the most he can hope to play NFL ball ...

(anyone see where this is going yet?)

13 years divided by 3.5 years average stay is 3.71 turnovers of players in 13 years ...
so, 3.71 x 1440 players equals 5342 men that ever get to be professional football players in one young man's lifetime potential to be one of those men.

Now then: how many young men every 13 years do you think desire to be one of those 5342 football players?
Bet its more than 5342.
Meaning a whole lotta young guys don't attain their dream, no matter how hard they try, believe, pray, work etc.

"Any dream" is not necessarily possible if one just works for it.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Heed this advice, unless you want to wake up surrounded by a bunch of angry and violent drunks.
How do I know this?
LOL, That's not what happened to me. Long story short, I ended up declaring bankruptcy at the ripe old age of 21. I came close to being homeless 3 times. I didn't really start to wise up until I was 24.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 AM

7,371 posts, read 16,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
this means there are a total of 1440 professional football players in the NFL in any given year ...
most NFL players enter the league about age 22 and are finished well before age 35 ...
so about 13 years of a young man's life is the most he can hope to play NFL ball ...

13 years divided by 3.5 years average stay is 3.71 turnovers of players in 13 years ...
so, 3.71 x 1440 players equals 5342 men that ever get to be professional football players in one young man's lifetime potential to be one of those men.

Now then: how many young men every 13 years do you think desire to be one of those 5342 football players?
Bet its more than 5342.
Meaning a whole lotta young guys don't attain their dream, no matter how hard they try, believe, pray, work etc.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

Bet its more than 5342.

Well said I really hate how we Americans fill our young people with pie in the sky ideas without giving them any realistic or grounded idea of how much effort and discipline are really required or how long the odds really are.

We all like to think we'll work harder and that we're smarter than everyone else.

Reality check: We can't all be above average.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,908,235 times
Snort! Where ever did you find that picture of T. "Bone" Arturian, the two-season-wonder defensive end for the 1979-81 Houston Oilers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California