Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:55 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Maybe it is a SF Bay Area problem...

I'm hundreds of miles away from Southern California.

It must work somewhere otherwise the entire state would be up in arms.

One thing I treasure is my life long AAA membership... if I buy or sell a car... the entire transaction typically takes about 15 minutes from arrival to departure...

Unfortunately, at least here, the AAA DMV office does not take thumb prints or pictures...

Which raises another question... just how many times does a person have to give prints to the DMV?
I think maybe we’re not supposed to make commercial plugs on the forum ... but: hear hear! Worth every penny every year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 05:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I think maybe we’re not supposed to make commercial plugs on the forum ... but: hear hear! Worth every penny every year!
Isn't AAA a non-profit?

To me it is worth it simply for registration services...

Found it...

1907 was the year that California State Automobile Association officially incorporated in California as Non-Profit Mutual Benefit Corportion

Old 09-16-2018, 05:24 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Used to be a time when you could renew registration at a AAA office. I'm not sure if that's still true but if you have AAA maybe you could try them.

What a mess

Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Newsom wants to make your health care the same way. If your old you'll die before you can see a doctor.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:20 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I got my smog done on Saturday. Went home and tried to register online a few hours later but the registration was incomplete. They took money out of my CC anyway. They say they will send me new document to fill out to complete. This didn't happen to me last year.

Perhaps the smog paper didn't go through because they don't work on the weekend?
Your SMOG cert has to be transmitted by the Smog station to BAR, who then transmit it to DMV. Unless the Smog station keyed in something wrong, it generally is done within 1 to 3 days. But right after the appointment--unlikely.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:26 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
Ok, people. I've been reading all the DMV threads.

I'm the one that usually comes on here to answer DMV questions, and direct people what best to do.

But this thing with Real ID? I got nothing.

DMV has known about this since like 2004 or 2005. They knew exactly how many people would be involved and could take a reasonable guess on how many would want to rush in.

I really thought there would be mass temporary hiring to handle the influx of customers. Or unlimited overtime. Or something to make this happen.

I don't have a clue who's idea this was to "business as usual" this. I don't know if the Legislature didn't come through with enough money for advance hiring or what.

But this whole thing has been a fiasco that seriously didn't need to happen like this.

That's all I got.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Very sorry for the trouble you folks are having. I live in Eureka and forgot to renew my registration. I was going to go to AAA but the DMV gave me an appointment within a week. (I still had to study for the test, though.)

Old 09-17-2018, 01:16 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The head of the DMV said the backlog has been addressed by spending lots of money expanding services... my opinion is the taxpayers have been robbed... !
Since I moved to CA I've seen nothing but the taxpayers being robbed over everything CA collects State Income taxes on.

It's amazing that most here seem to not notice it.

I recently spoke with a CHP officer and he warned me about the new driver's licence issue. Mine expires June 2019. I hope the issue is fixed by then but knowing how CA government agencies run I have zero confidence it will.

Last edited by Matadora; 09-17-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I reached out to my elected representative and was told it has been a hot issue all summer...

The best they could recommend is to simply show up at the office and wait it out...

He did not have an answer as to why my renewal states in bold I am required to complete online application and when I do... it says to renew by mail as I am not eligible...

I asked what is needed to renew by mail and they were clueless.

I do feel sorry for the folks working at the DMV front line... must be a lot of disgruntled folks coming in...

As to Real ID which doesn't apply to my situation... it is almost as if California and the Washington at at odds and the taxpayer is caught in the middle.. at least this is the impression I'm getting.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:35 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
WOW just for grins I went to the DMV website in my neck of the woods to set up an appointment to renew my DL and the next date available is:

The first available appointment for this office is on:

Monday, December 24, 2018 at 10:00 AM

I suggest anyone who has a DL renewal coming up within the next 6 months to try and schedule now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California