Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 07:06 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times

Advertisements

I agree with mysticaltyger for the most part. Seems most politicians are in it for themselves. I'm all for ending career politicians tbh.

Purely anecdotal, but I can imagine the reason Republicans and Libertarians leave is because they get fed up with their vote not counting and their neighbors voting to make it harder and harder to live here.

Case in point, this last election SF voted to tax large businesses to pay for the homeless problems. We didn't repeal the gas tax. My specific city voted for a sales tax increase and are hoping for stronger rent control. I mean geez, the general public puts WAY too much faith in our government to "do the right thing." I consider the Bay Area to be incredibly inefficient in their infrastructure enhancements, in how they tackle the homeless problem, and in public transit agencies among other things. I would like to say "nope, not giving you more money- it's time to get creative or maybe efficient and fiscally responsible" but others don't share the sentiment.

I've been through enough election cycles here where a bunch of mumble jumbo I was against passed. That mumbo jumbo makes my life here more expensive than it has to be and for any other middle class citizen. After a while you get fed up with them stealing your money for their stupid initiatives and leave.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:58 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I agree with mysticaltyger for the most part. Seems most politicians are in it for themselves. I'm all for ending career politicians tbh.

Purely anecdotal, but I can imagine the reason Republicans and Libertarians leave is because they get fed up with their vote not counting and their neighbors voting to make it harder and harder to live here.

Case in point, this last election SF voted to tax large businesses to pay for the homeless problems. We didn't repeal the gas tax. My specific city voted for a sales tax increase and are hoping for stronger rent control. I mean geez, the general public puts WAY too much faith in our government to "do the right thing." I consider the Bay Area to be incredibly inefficient in their infrastructure enhancements, in how they tackle the homeless problem, and in public transit agencies among other things. I would like to say "nope, not giving you more money- it's time to get creative or maybe efficient and fiscally responsible" but others don't share the sentiment.

I've been through enough election cycles here where a bunch of mumble jumbo I was against passed. That mumbo jumbo makes my life here more expensive than it has to be and for any other middle class citizen. After a while you get fed up with them stealing your money for their stupid initiatives and leave.
Calling California a "toilet", as you do in your Information Line at the top right, says a lot about how you feel.

Last person I heard make that remark I asked to explain it to me, and he said, "look around you at all the brown turds, the place need to be flushed!"

Trust me, we get it...

Old 11-29-2018, 09:07 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
My entire family lives spread out across California and we are all R

Old 11-29-2018, 09:21 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
My entire family lives spread out across California and we are all R
Uh, ok.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:29 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,148 times
At this point a lot of people are leaving exactly because the state is so liberal, so it's becoming self-perpetuating. And correspondingly (in addition to the immigrants and tech types moving in) a lot of people move to California exactly because it's so liberal. There are still quite a few Republicans amongst the white population though, but the percentage is lower than amongst whites in other states. And every other ethnic group is very Democratic there, even more so than in other states. For example at one time Asian-Americans (a big subset of Californians) were not especially left-wing, but nowadays with the Republican Party being about white identity politics due to Trumpism, they have gone quite firmly into the Democratic camp.

And there are other factors too. Californians are legendary about caring (maybe too much) about the environment, and the current Republican Party, well, the former head of the EPA was a lawyer for major polluters. Even the laid-back California attitude clashes with Trump's New York City abrasiveness.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:33 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Calling California a "toilet", as you do in your Information Line at the top right, says a lot about how you feel.

Last person I heard make that remark I asked to explain it to me, and he said, "look around you at all the brown turds, the place need to be flushed!"

Trust me, we get it...
I filled that in when I still lived in SF proper. Have you even been to San Francisco lately? It is a literal toilet for the homeless now, so I believe the location to be quite accurate. I don't think it really has anything to do with my opinion on CA. CA is a pretty place, albeit a little too brown (in landscaping) imho.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Well yeah sure because we all agree that we should be able to house the homeless and have wonderful mass transit for free, right? And the roads...well why would we need to raise the gas tax to fix them, if we wish hard enough they will just fix themselves

Old 11-30-2018, 07:32 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
I can imagine the reason Republicans and Libertarians leave is because they get fed up with their vote not counting and their neighbors voting to make it harder and harder to live here.
What does this mean?

Old 11-30-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Californians are legendary about caring (maybe too much) about the environment
There's no such thing as caring too much about the environment. If we want a habitable state--much less world--for our grandchildren or great grandchildren, we need to start caring more, not less about the environment.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:40 AM

More reasons why the Republican party is shrinking in California:

Other factors contributed to the GOP’s California wipeout... (House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy)....being the president’s point person on Capitol Hill meant pushing policies that were out of step with voters back home — such as a measure to override state gun control laws — and corralling his fellow California lawmakers to help pass them.

One glaring example was the sweeping tax bill passed in December, which stands to hurt many Californians by capping deductions of state and local taxes as well as the interest on home mortgages. All but two of the state’s 14 House Republicans — Rohrabacher and Issa — voted for the GOP tax law, even though studies suggested it would have an especially negative impact on residents in pricey areas such as suburban Orange and Los Angeles counties.

As California Republicans confront a congressional wipeout, GOP.... https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...128-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California