Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 08:25 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Sure, I'm all for legal immigration, like my grandparents did. Illegal immigrants should be returned to where they came from. China, Canada, France, I don't care.

If you're here illegally, out you go.
This :

https://www-washingtonpost-com.cdn.a...-lot-about-our

(sorry -- some kind of award for longest URL in the world)

is a fascinating experiment about how fear shapes our political views, particularly w.r.t. immigrants. Mr. _racer, with your repeated queries about whether we lock our doors (and just for the record, my answer is "sometimes") do you see yourself in this narrative at all?

Old 11-30-2018, 08:35 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There's no such thing as caring too much about the environment. If we want a habitable state--much less world--for our grandchildren or great grandchildren, we need to start caring more, not less about the environment.
... and, how in the world is a clean, safe environment a partisan issue? Conservatives and their children don’t hunt, fish, camp, drink water, breathe air? Phbbbbt ... conservatives are definitely strong environmentalists - sane conservatives, anyway. Then, of course, there are the legions of mindless, obsequious minions to the cadre of sociopaths whose self-absorptions seek only material, short-term profit at whatever expense the population ultimately must bear in bad health.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:41 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Honestly, most of that is exaggerated or just BS Democrat talking points that people believe because they are repeated over and over again in the universities and most mainstream media outlets.
The OP question was " Why did the Republican Party get so small in California?" I answered it with my perspective, which seems to be shared by a lot of Californians. That you characterize this perspective as "mainstream" actually strengthens my points. Are you saying that we shouldn't rely upon news from "mainstream" outlets, that instead far left/far right media are somehow less "exaggerated?"

Quote:
I will agree that the Republicans are not the party of fiscal responsibility they claim to be. Unfortunately, I don't find Democrats to be any better.
At least in CA, Mr Brown has demonstrated considerable fiscal responsibility, as we now have a budget surplus, no mean feat compared to where we were a decade ago. There are a lot of things Jerry did that I am very much against (including the train to nowhere debacle, which was/is not fiscally responsible) but overall I think he proved to be a competent administrator. We'll have to see where things go from here. I'm not particularly crazy about "one party" rule, but until the Republican Party brings its platform back from the fringe they don't represent my interests or outlook in any respect.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
This :
is a fascinating experiment about how fear shapes our political views, particularly w.r.t. immigrants. Mr. _racer, with your repeated queries about whether we lock our doors (and just for the record, my answer is "sometimes") do you see yourself in this narrative at all?
Can't rep you again, but that is spot on

Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post

At least in CA, Mr Brown has demonstrated considerable fiscal responsibility, as we now have a budget surplus, no mean feat compared to where we were a decade ago. There are a lot of things Jerry did that I am very much against (including the train to nowhere debacle, which was/is not fiscally responsible) but overall I think he proved to be a competent administrator. We'll have to see where things go from here. I'm not particularly crazy about "one party" rule, but until the Republican Party brings its platform back from the fringe they don't represent my interests or outlook in any respect.
Right what a financially wise move the HSR was.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:35 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Right what a financially wise move the HSR was.
HSR is toast, at this point. With a warming climate, the extreme heat on portions of the track would buckle the rails. It was one of those ideas that looked good on paper, but in the haggling stage of who gets to be on the route and have a stop, it turned into more of a milk run, and is no longer practical. The money will be needed for re-routing bayside freeways that will become flooded by the 3-foot sea-level rise expected to occur by 2050, by some estimates. This is what the city of Vancouver, BC, is planning for: 1 meter rise by 2050. US estimates are more conservative, but still, that 1-meter level will be reached sooner rather than later, and then it will go still higher.

The federal and state budgets won't be able to handle the fallout from the effect on the coastal areas, and that's without taking into account the fallout form more fires. HSR is a luxury, when widespread emergencies, or at best--the need for fire and flood mitigation measures--are staring us in the face.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
... and, how in the world is a clean, safe environment a partisan issue? Conservatives and their children don’t hunt, fish, camp, drink water, breathe air? Phbbbbt ... conservatives are definitely strong environmentalists - sane conservatives, anyway. Then, of course, there are the legions of mindless, obsequious minions to the cadre of sociopaths whose self-absorptions seek only material, short-term profit at whatever expense the population ultimately must bear in bad health.

Look at the situation with the Native American tribes in Utah who are watching their sacred sites at Bears Ears National Monument, Escalante Staircase National Monument and Gold Butte National Monument be auctioned off to the highest bidding mining company...

The mining companies doing the bidding are probably all foreign, by the way.

All of this is being done under Donald Trump, out of spite against Barack Obama, for having created and expanded those national parks in the first place!

What's happening in Utah is utterly appalling!

Last edited by kttam186290; 11-30-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 11:49 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Look at the situation with the Native American tribes in Utah who are watching their sacred sites at Bears Ears National Monument, Escalante Staircase National Monument and Gold Butte National Monument be auctioned off to the highest bidding mining company...

The mining companies doing the bidding are probably all foreign, by the way.

All of this is being done under Donald Trump, out of spite against Barack Obama, for having created and expanded those national parks in the first place!
In the words of the Donald himself:

“SAD”!

Old 11-30-2018, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
There hasn't been a Republican senator from California since the 1990s. Also, in every presidential election since 1992, the Democrat won. However, there was a Republican governor through 2010.

Does it have to do with immigration patterns? But then Florida and Texas are still more Republican. They have similar immigration patterns.

More interesting question: in fast food and retail places I see almost all Latino people working, even in the totally Asian areas. Not many African American folks, like I used to see. There's a McDonald's in Rosemead where the clientele is almost all Asian. Staff is more Latino and there seems to be no conflicts.
there are a couple of things to consider. 1-the entire state, particularly So. CA is minority primarily Hispanic. there is more poverty than there used to be and last buy certainly not least: states do change: look at the south, it used to be almost 100% blue now it is visa versa. The pendulum will swing the other way. When? Who knows?

Old 11-30-2018, 02:17 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Here's a good article about what happened to the Republican party in California

Quote:
Kevin McCarthy has some explaining to do.

It was a shellacking, and McCarthy played a pivotal role. For the past two years, he cultivated a close relationship with President Donald Trump. As the House majority leader, McCarthy encouraged even the most vulnerable California Republicans to stay in lock step with the party.

California Republicans overwhelmingly voted for the House Obamacare repeal bill that would have devastated the state’s health care system, and the GOP tax law that disadvantages taxpayers in states like California the most. McCarthy allowed Trump’s hardline immigration agenda to wash over the party, even as California Republicans watched their districts diversify. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...icans-midterms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California