Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 11:55 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Please explain, then, why immigrants were coming into the US at a much greater clip when George W. Bush was president, than they did when Obama was president?

George W. Bush even spoke Spanish, as a wink-and-a-nod, at many of his rallies.

You see, now that these immigrants are here and established, they realize that a simple wink-and-a-nod isn't going to pay the bills, keep them employed, send their kids to college or trade school or provide them with affordable medical coverage.

Thus, they're now left to turn to the party that will provide those things.

It's the same reason you see so many 3rd and 4th generation Cuban Americans voting Democratic too.

Merely coming over on a rickety boat and being given a hug by the Florida GOP delegation after reaching the beach isn't enough to survive.
Sure, I'm all for legal immigration, like my grandparents did. Illegal immigrants should be returned to where they came from. China, Canada, France, I don't care.

If you're here illegally, out you go.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I gotta get out of this state....
Listening to our OC neighbors is scary. They want to turn a once nice diverse thriving community, into a third world-like country.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:59 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
It must be sad going thru life resentful of everybody around you.
You would know. You're the one who keeps whining around here.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:59 AM

I'll ask again, how many of you are willing to host an immigrant family? And before you start spewing about service to your country, post up your DD214 and I'll post mine.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You would know. You're the one who keeps whining around here.
You sound like my grandkids, I know you are but what am I?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:02 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
The shrinking of Republican influence in CA has been going on for decades. I don't think it is about fiscal issues or size-of-government issues or role-of-government issues.

From my perspective, more and more Californians are socially liberal compared to solidly Republican states - for example, more are in favor of gay marriage, LBGTQ rights, abortion rights, regulation of firearms, and the like.

This dates back to at least the 1960s; California was home to the sexual revolution, to the anti-war movement, and to the college free speech movement, for example.

Republicans have tied themselves to traditional Southern Religious cohort and to the traditional family values cohort in their tent to get enough voting people to matter. In large part, that sub-group tends not to be socially liberal.

Personally, I'd be in favor of a fiscally responsible, socially liberal party. If Democrats shifted to become fiscally responsible while keeping the socially liberal stance, I think they would run the table.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:05 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,352 times
Quote:
When I look back through your posts, your contributions to any political debate on here are always reactionary and a couple sentences in length, sometimes barely breaching a paragraph.

And, they're never about ideas or about things your party can do better. Just how much you don't like Democrats or liberal ideas.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:12 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
If you can't get people to embrace your politics, bring in more people that will (legal or otherwise).

Once you're dependant on the government for everything, you'll never vote them out (which is exactly the idea behind all this immigration).

If democrats really wanted to help people from xyz country, they'd be crying to help xyz country with their infrastructure, their education, their medical facilities. Nope, just easier to import them here, and let them vote for their saviors.
They had been helping xyz country with infrastructure, education, etc., but a funny thing happened on the way to foreign aid; Newt Gingrich and his Holy Rollers back in the mid-90's slashed the foreign aid budget to the point of throwing the institutions tasked with distributing foreign aid, --what are called the "area foundations", like Asia Foundation, Inter-America Foundation, Africa Foundation--, on the mercy of charitable foundations like Ford, McArthur, etc. The Gingrich Congress cut them off and sent them begging. Their projects are now paid for by generous Dem and Repub business sponsorships and individual donations, as well as private grants.

And you keep ignoring the fact that it was the Republicans who were all for importing cheap labor illegally from Mexico, and got Reagan's support. (Please review thread for details.)

So again, I need to point out, that your issues are matters to be taken up with your own Party leadership. All you succeed in doing by playing your broken records, is demonstrating how uninformed you are about the issues your raise.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:15 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

Personally, I'd be in favor of a fiscally responsible, socially liberal party. If Democrats shifted to become fiscally responsible while keeping the socially liberal stance, I think they would run the table.
Well, that's been happening with Jerry Brown as governor here - the fiscal situation has actually improved over Arnold's reign, with the Democrats having a supermajority. And politically, that's been happening, too.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:16 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
You've been bellyaching about this for years. What's stopping you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California