Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 03:20 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Don't tell me I already know Repubs have no good candidates here but Travis Allen and he didn't get far in this liberal bastion. Tell the poster here (Kttam) who hates all Repubs that we aren't the problem just the helpless citizens watching the destruction of a once great state
I don't hate all Republicans.

I despise the far-right branch that controls your party -- the ones who never got over Roe v. Wade and think people should go back to the fake "Stepford" culture of the 1950s.

I also despise people who naively think everything they have, they got "on their own". That's a lie about 99.9% of the time.

You either:

1.) Had inheritance or married someone with one
2.) Had a parent/family member get you a job, or married someone that did
3.) Had a parent/family member help provide you with an education, or married someone that did
4.) Benefitted directly from a government program: the military, welfare, HUD loan, TANF, education grants or loans, Social Security, MediCal/Medicaid, a govt contract of any type, Disability, govt business loans and grants, tax write-offs, City/County/State/Federal employment, a highway or road built and maintained by a government entity to-and-from your business.
5.) Are descended of someone who directly benefited from a government program, thereby, raising your own chances of being successful
6.) Married someone who benefited from a government program or married to a descendent who benefited from the same.

Just be honest and admit that we've all -- at one point or another -- been the beneficiaries (directly or indirectly) of government largess and quit acting like you've only paid into it and never taken anything in return or benefited from it.

THAT, above all else, is what irks me about Republicans!

Lying is ugly.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:00 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
As far as the Republican party, it's changed and is no longer the party it was even a couple of decades ago.
Neither is the Democratic Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Wizard View Post
Unless of course the Republican party decides to change its platform of being the party catering to old white people.

How exactly are they doing this? When people toss around that expression ("old white people") they just come off as bigoted towards them for whatever reason.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Don't tell me I already know Repubs have no good candidates here but Travis Allen and he didn't get far in this liberal bastion. Tell the poster here (Kttam) who hates all Repubs that we aren't the problem just the helpless citizens watching the destruction of a once great state
I don't think it was the fault of Democrats that Cox made it to the ballot rather than Travis Allen, do you?

Old 11-27-2018, 07:32 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm a Republican, and I'm none of those things. As I said before, I'm retired, couldn't give a crap about abortion, gay marriage, marijuana, birth control...

I want less government in my life, not more.

P.S. My wife was born in the Philippines, and my grandparents in Russia.
Ironically you use the exact same approach that you are complaining about when it comes to defining liberals. We all detest rich people and want free stuff according to your posts.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:34 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

I despise the far-right branch that controls your party -- the ones who never got over Roe v. Wade and think people should go back to the fake "Stepford" culture of the 1950s.

I also despise people who naively think everything they have, they got "on their own". That's a lie about 99.9% of the time.

You either:

3.) Had a parent/family member help provide you with an education, or married someone that did
4.) Benefitted directly from a government program: the military, welfare, HUD loan, TANF, education grants or loans, Social Security, MediCal/Medicaid, a govt contract of any type, Disability, govt business loans and grants, tax write-offs, City/County/State/Federal employment, a highway or road built and maintained by a government entity to-and-from your business.
5.) Are descended of someone who directly benefited from a government program, thereby, raising your own chances of being successful
6.) Married someone who benefited from a government program or married to a descendent who benefited from the same.

Just be honest and admit that we've all -- at one point or another -- been the beneficiaries (directly or indirectly) of government largess and quit acting like you've only paid into it and never taken anything in return or benefited from it.

Lying is ugly.
I'm sorry you're so jealous.

See, that's the difference between us. I see someone successful and I say, I want to be successful too.

You see someone successful and you say, waa, it's not fair. You didn't build that.

The reality is most successful people worked their ass off to get there. I know I did. I know small business owners that put EVERYTHING they had into a business, worked 60 or 80 hours a week, only to have people like you say, they didn't build that.

Disgusting

Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 AM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

You either:

Lying is ugly.
I have never benefited from any of your above things, no not one. And goverment waste and inefficiency is unbelievable.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:

See, that's the difference between us. I see someone successful and I say, I want to be successful too.

You see someone successful and you say, waa, it's not fair. You didn't build that.

The reality is most successful people worked their ass off to get there. I know I did. I know small business owners that put EVERYTHING they had into a business, worked 60 or 80 hours a week, only to have people like you say, they didn't build that.

Disgusting
Millions of people in America, and no doubt billions around the world, work their asses off everyday just to survive ... and never achieve what you call “success.”

What you call “success” is material wealth. It is shallow and vacuous.

For some, success would be defined as humility, graciousness, kindness, a willing embrace of simplicity as a guide, good health, service toward mutual benefit in society, good humor in always doing no harm in daily life.

I see that as the difference between you and truly “successful” people. Your self-absorbtion is cringeworthy.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Disgusting
No, what's disgusting is perpetuating the myth that conservatives work harder, make better decisions and are always 100% self-sufficient and it's repeated ad nauseum in these forums on a daily basis with anecdotal BS bootstrapper stories. It's used as a reason not to provide assistance to those who are in need, to condemn people who in their opinion had too many kids or had them when they were too young, and to mock people who are unemployed or underemployed. It gets really old.

A few years ago on these forums I recounted the story of how financially strapped I was when my husband walked out on me and the kids. I wasn't asking for sympathy- I didn't need any but what I didn't expect was a comment from a conservative poster that the whole situation was 100% my fault because I should have known better than to marry a man who would walk out on his family after 12 years of marriage

Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Millions of people in America, and no doubt billions around the world, work their asses off everyday just to survive ... and never achieve what you call “success.”

For some, success would be defined as humility, graciousness, kindness, a willing embrace of simplicity as a guide, good health, service toward mutual benefit in society, good humor in always doing no harm in daily life.

I see that as the difference between you and truly “successful” people. Your self-absorbtion is cringeworthy.
well said Mutt

Old 11-27-2018, 08:53 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

I'm not ratting their success the OP is. But since you asked, success to me is staying off drugs, staying in school, being a productive part of society, having friends and family that love you.

The material crap is just a nice bonus. I don't hate people that have more than me. I don't hate people that have less than me.

I hate people that waste their life, then cry about mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California