Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:55 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Just FYI: there's lots of CO's who work at the Soledad prisons who are commuting from SLO, Paso, etc. and, who are waiting to transfer to CMC. They are going to get preference over any new hires so ... I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.
You work in the system, so you know better. But I've always been told that there is always a shortage there because the CO's move away because of housing costs. The CO's I know have always said that they need people. But that makes sense. I know of CO's from SLO Co. who drive to Wasco, Avenal and Soledad/Salinas Valley. I'm sure that's not just for the extra money. Because it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
You work in the system, so you know better. But I've always been told that there is always a shortage there because the CO's move away because of housing costs. The CO's I know have always said that they need people. But that makes sense. I know of CO's from SLO Co. who drive to Wasco, Avenal and Soledad/Salinas Valley. I'm sure that's not just for the extra money. Because it wouldn't be worth it to me.
Some do move away (although less with the housing crash) and some prefer to work at the Soledad prisons even with the commute ... because they run commuter van carpools for each shift 24/7 so, some don't mind it.

But I know just as many CO's (and one psych tech) who are waiting for transfers to CMC because they either live in SLO, Paso and other surrounding areas and are tired of commuting.

It also comes down to who you know ... especially since so many want to work there. Also ... when they shut down the juvenile facility in Paso ... we got a lot of CO's from there because there wasn't enough positions at CMC.

One of them has a wife who is also a lieutenant at CMC and he still can't get transferred there so ... to me, that shows how tough it is to get hired because you'd think he'd have the connections to get in there.

A CO fresh out of the academy told me there were only two positions available when she applied ... and she didn't get it so ... that's how she ended up in Soledad.

Last edited by sheri257; 12-01-2008 at 01:55 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 PM

371 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Some do move away (although less with the housing crash) and some prefer to work at the Soledad prisons even with the commute ... because they run commuter van carpools for each shift 24/7 so, some don't mind it.

But I know just as many CO's (and one psych tech) who are waiting for transfers to CMC because they either live in SLO, Paso and other surrounding areas and are tired of commuting.

It also comes down to who you know ... especially since so many want to work there. Also ... when they shut down the juvenile facility in Paso ... we got a lot of CO's from there because there wasn't enough positions at CMC.

One of them has a wife who is also a lieutenant at CMC and he still can't get transferred there so ... to me, that shows how tough it is to get hired because you'd think he'd have the connections to get in there.

A CO fresh out of the academy told me there were only two positions available when she applied ... and she didn't get it so ... that's how she ended up in Soledad.
What about Avenal or even Coalinga? That's a heck of a lot closer than Soledad.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:58 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
What about Avenal or even Coalinga? That's a heck of a lot closer than Soledad.
I'm sure some commute there but, I guess it depends on what's the longer drive and where the openings are. Most people I know live in Paso and commute to Soledad, which takes an hour and 15 minutes. It's a straight shot down the 101.

Other people rent rooms here with other state employees so they don't have to bother with driving all week ... and go home on the weekends. Others just bring their trailers and hook up at local parks during the week.

People do all sorts of things but ... they definitely come from all over.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I'm sure some commute there but, I guess it depends on what's the longer drive and where the openings are. Most people I know live in Paso and commute to Soledad, which takes an hour and 15 minutes. It's a straight shot down the 101.

Other people rent rooms here with other state employees so they don't have to bother with driving all week ... and go home on the weekends. Others just bring their trailers and hook up at local parks during the week.

People do all sorts of things but ... they definitely come from all over.
Yeah, that;'s what it seems. Me, I think i'd rather just stay in one spot even if it wasn't as nice as the SLO-Paso area. I think the commute time away from my family would kill me.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,182 times
You know, this thread is making me feel better At least we are not crazy!

Thanks for the tip on the CMC thing, sheri257. I guess I won't hold my breath.

Actually, my husband is applying to college so hopefully he'll get in somewhere and we won't have to worry about the job thing for a couple of years. It is pretty bad though. Sigh.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:36 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
SLO looks like the place to restart your life if you can find a job. I am in the SF Bay area and the job market here is becoming a bit tight.

Jobs and good healthcare are what make a place perfect.

I would like to make a living as a home remodeler but wondering if there is a market for that? Sounds like most of the good jobs are with the Public side?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
SLO looks like the place to restart your life if you can find a job. I am in the SF Bay area and the job market here is becoming a bit tight.

Jobs and good healthcare are what make a place perfect.

I would like to make a living as a home remodeler but wondering if there is a market for that? Sounds like most of the good jobs are with the Public side?
Home remodeling doesn't sound too bad, especially given the fact that a lot of the housing market in SLO is driven by retirees with money, i.e. the ones who'd be remodelling.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,182 times
Hey - my hubby just got an interview with CMC! Kinda random...

Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 19,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Is San Luis Obispo all it is said to be in home relocation guides and books?

I am trying to research its many attributes and I notice on the City-Data it says it has 3 hospitals. However, I only see 2 listed in the yellow pages. What happened to San Luis Obispo General?

And, the statistis for crime seem very low. Does it have the gang problems that have been discussed in Santa Maria and Santa Barbara?

Does SLO have a water problem as in the other towns in the area such as Cambria and Los Osos?

I have heard that jobs are difficult to find there? True?

Are the travel guides too rosy in their praise??
Real people want to know......
I wouldn't say the crime rate is very low. You can definitely find lower crime rates in Orange county but the air quality there isn't as good. If I had a lot of money, I wouldn't think twice about moving to SLO. Earthquake activity is below normal and the weather is near perfect. Any rich widows living there, please drop me an e-mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California