U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,807 posts, read 5,565,527 times
Reputation: 1620

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Don't feel too out of it, I didn't even know 8 tracts went out til hubby told me about 3 years later. Then came CDs and I could not understand why I couldn't find cassettes anymore. About 4 years ago I went to Best Buy at Christmas to get a couple of cassettes for hubby. The kid working there just stared at me, after a couple of seconds he said, well you might get something like that at maybe Wal-Mart or Target...

Nita
ROFLMAO!!!

That kind of reminds me of my mum-im-law, who one day went into a shop and asked where the VD's were. Naturally, she meant DVDs, LOL! Another time, at a very large family gathering, my mum-in-law meant to say that my husband is well-educated. Instead she said, quite loudly, "Yes, my son is very well endowed!" My husband was mortified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2010, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Reputation: 41754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
ROFLMAO!!!

That kind of reminds me of my mum-im-law, who one day went into a shop and asked where the VD's were. Naturally, she meant DVDs, LOL! Another time, at a very large family gathering, my mum-in-law meant to say that my husband is well-educated. Instead she said, quite loudly, "Yes, my son is very well endowed!" My husband was mortified.
I guess we all can remember saying things we wish we could take back. When hair dryiers first became popular for men as well as women, our son was about 16 and wanted to get his hair cut at a pretty pricey place. I suggested he get it styled and get a blow job, I meant a blower cut....

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
 
Location: So Ca
15,767 posts, read 15,003,424 times
Reputation: 13689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is it me or did it seem like there were a lot more people "thumbing it" back in the 1970s?
Yes. I wonder when it started to become dangerous. My dad used to pick up hitchikers all the time when we were little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 06:15 PM
 
Location: So Ca
15,767 posts, read 15,003,424 times
Reputation: 13689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
And I remember when 8-Tracks became the OUT thing and cassettes were IN!
How about when LP's were out and turntables stopped being sold? You wonder if Licorice Pizza had stayed in business, they would have had to change their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,446 posts, read 23,948,037 times
Reputation: 7271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes. I wonder when it started to become dangerous. My dad used to pick up hitchikers all the time when we were little.
I'm not sure if there was an exact time but it seemed to become more dangerous over the years or was at least percieved as more dangerous, throughout the 1970s, beginning with the Manson Family (who didn't commit any crimes hitchhiking but who did hitchhike a great deal, and who did change particularly Southern California for the worse) through serial killers Randy Craft, Lawrence Bittaker, the Hillside Strangler (all of whom preyed on hitchhikers) and even non-Californian serial killer John Wayne Gacy (who preyed upon hitchhikers amongst others in his sick quest to eradicate gays from the streets of Chicago).

By the early '80s fewer people were hitchhiking and the number kept diminishing down to nothing. It was something that gradually faded out rather than disappearing all of a sudden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM
 
1,402 posts, read 2,150,920 times
Reputation: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm not sure if there was an exact time but it seemed to become more dangerous over the years or was at least percieved as more dangerous, throughout the 1970s, beginning with the Manson Family (who didn't commit any crimes hitchhiking but who did hitchhike a great deal, and who did change particularly Southern California for the worse) through serial killers Randy Craft, Lawrence Bittaker, the Hillside Strangler (all of whom preyed on hitchhikers) and even non-Californian serial killer John Wayne Gacy (who preyed upon hitchhikers amongst others in his sick quest to eradicate gays from the streets of Chicago).

By the early '80s fewer people were hitchhiking and the number kept diminishing down to nothing. It was something that gradually faded out rather than disappearing all of a sudden.
I think that your time frame is accurate. I recall an horrific incident in CA involving a teenage hitchhiker who was not only assaulted, but had her arms hacked off by a lunatic (Lawrence Singleton) in 1978. I also remember when a CHP car stopped on the freeway to question a hitchhiker who had a large backpack, and the guy pulled out a shotgun and fired on the officer, striking him in the foot. That incident proved that drivers were also in jeopardy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Reputation: 41754
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I think that your time frame is accurate. I recall an horrific incident in CA involving a teenage hitchhiker who was not only assaulted, but had her arms hacked off by a lunatic (Lawrence Singleton) in 1978. I also remember when a CHP car stopped on the freeway to question a hitchhiker who had a large backpack, and the guy pulled out a shotgun and fired on the officer, striking him in the foot. That incident proved that drivers were also in jeopardy.
I remember that case as well. Anyone living in Ca at the time would remember it I would think.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,730 posts, read 5,278,809 times
Reputation: 4188
When I was in the Navy would on occasion hitchhike. Servicemen in uniform never had any trouble back then getting a ride, and it was very commonplace for drivers to give them a lift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,807 posts, read 5,565,527 times
Reputation: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I remember that case as well. Anyone living in Ca at the time would remember it I would think.

Nita
Back then I remember that everytime I saw a white van I would freak out because one of the "Freeway Killers" was believed to be driving one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Colorado
42 posts, read 147,808 times
Reputation: 14
I'm sure this site has been mentioned. If anyone missed it, be sure to check it out and check out all the links, especially Wes Clark (Avacado memories). I grew up in Burbank during the 60's and 70's and this site is great!
Burbankia, by Wes Clark and Mike McDaniel

I've noticed that the posts on this blog are few and far between. I hope we all keep it going. Maybe we should start posting some old holiday memories... Maybe some old recipes from the 50's - 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top