Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readinvin92 View Post
I am searching at a boat load of cities, the prices are just so expensive.. I really dont think I would be able to afford it anywhere... Is there something i am missing,
I am not sure of prices but you may want to check into Humbolt County. It is far north, I will tell you very liberal, but there are some great areas and lots of history..It certainly isn't our cup of tea, we did it for about a year, way back when, just thought I would throw that in. How about Placerville end areas even a little east of there..Have you tried that?

Just one more question, why are you so set on California? There are lots of other places with nice weather, nice people and a heck of a lot less expensive than most of California..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,720,894 times
Default Kingsburg

2381 East Sophia Ln, Kingsburg, CA, 93631 - MLS ID#292037 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

I've heard this town is one of, if not the nicest in the Valley. And with a pool. That looks like a nice house.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:52 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,720,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This still may not be the right solution for the OP, as Twinkle Toes mentioned, the central valley is very much produce driven and the workers will be Hispanic...Just my opinion, but I would not want to advise someone who prefers to stay away from an area with Mexicans to locate anywhere in the central valley. In fact he will have to look hard to find a location that does not have a high percentage of Hispanics, especially in his price range. I think his original idea or moving to areas northe of Sacramento would be best...

Nita
Well, I actually just recommended a Valley town, Kingsburg. I'm sure Hispanics live there. How many? don't know. The town was founded by Swedes.

Actually Atascadero isn't a Valley town. It's on the Central Coast. It's about a 20 min. drive to the Pacific Ocean from Atascadero.

I agree with north of Sac., if you're really that concerned with Hispanics.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM

22 posts, read 52,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
9285 Carmelita Ave, Atascadero, CA, 93422 - MLS ID#142868 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/9285-Carmelita-Ave_Atascadero_CA_93422_1099224367 - broken link)

Here you go and on an acre. This is a nice area of town.
not tryin to be mean but im looking for 3k sq ft +

Old 03-10-2009, 04:12 PM

22 posts, read 52,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not sure of prices but you may want to check into Humbolt County. It is far north, I will tell you very liberal, but there are some great areas and lots of history..It certainly isn't our cup of tea, we did it for about a year, way back when, just thought I would throw that in. How about Placerville end areas even a little east of there..Have you tried that?

Just one more question, why are you so set on California? There are lots of other places with nice weather, nice people and a heck of a lot less expensive than most of California..

Nita

No i wasnt just stuck on cali. I made a thread about florida.. I was checking out az but not sure if I want to go out there since theres really not any lakes..

Where else you recc. besides ca?

Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,510,578 times
Lake Mead, Lake Havasu, the Colorado River, Lake Pleasant and Lake Roosevelt are all major bodies of water I can think of around Arizona. The last two are near Phoenix, the others along the border between California and Nevada.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,075,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Well, yeah but ..... the Central valley has migrant farm workers ... and last I checked, most of them were Hispanic.
Its just as offensive in my mind to use the stereotype of Hispanic farm workers to talk about the Valley or anywhere else in California. That implies that is all Hispanics do. Many Hispanics in the Valley have been here generations and have even gone to college, what a concept.

And agriculture only employs about 10 to 15% of the total workforce in the Valley, lots of other types of work done in the Valley besides migrant farm work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
Check the central valley. Kingsburg is a nice small town, but close to Fresno/Clovis for amenities. Visalia is nice, Clovis is nice too. Hanford/Lemoore are good areas.
Kingsburg is in Kings County. I believe you can find the house you need, possibly with property, for under $400,000. Check www.guarantee.com. Good luck.
Kingsburg actually is in Fresno County (not Kings), along the Kings River just before you cross into Tulare County.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readinvin92 View Post
not tryin to be mean but im looking for 3k sq ft +
California is one of the more expensive states, and also one with one of the largest Hispanic populations. Seriously, look someplace else. Arizona? Nevada? Utah? Southern Utah is warm, pretty, and full of white Mormons. Might be up your ally.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 14,185 times
Yeah so why not Hispanics? Um I think California might not be the best choice for you as we are very proud of our diversity not just with Hispanics but ALL cultures. You may want to consider a state like Wyoming or Montana.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Its just as offensive in my mind to use the stereotype of Hispanic farm workers to talk about the Valley or anywhere else in California. That implies that is all Hispanics do. Many Hispanics in the Valley have been here generations and have even gone to college, what a concept.

And agriculture only employs about 10 to 15% of the total workforce in the Valley, lots of other types of work done in the Valley besides migrant farm work.

Kingsburg actually is in Fresno County (not Kings), along the Kings River just before you cross into Tulare County.
I wasn't trying to be offensive toward Hispanics. It's a known fact that most migrant farm workers are Hispanic. I never said there was anything wrong with being a farm worker. How do you know I'm not Hispanic myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California