Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 AM

207 posts, read 926,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What I want to know, since this topic in general was directed at Americans, is why was it posted in the Canada forum? Why wasn't this topic started in one of the American forums where the Americans it's aimed at would read it and respond to it?

Maybe this topic was directed to Americans like me that live in Canada and have an informed opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting. Most Americans I meet (maybe it's the fact I've met a few from San Francisco) seemed pretty critical of America in general.
I think that's true, but for different reasons. In America, everyone thinks "the other guy" is at fault for the mess we're in. As another poster said, Americans think: "It's all about me. What I want is 'right' and everyone else who doesn't think like me is 'wrong'."

Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
When I used to live in Canada, the biggest difference I noticed was the weather. A majority of the time I lived in Montreal, it was dark and dull. Grey all the time. It was the worst. I hated it. I remember one day we traveled to Ottawa to see some friends and it was the best experience because it reminded me so much of the U.S. It was bright, sunny, newer, had suburban houses and neighborhoods, and most of all they spoke English! For the first time since moving, I felt normality. For all it was worth, I'm just glad to be back in the good ol' US of A. The differences between the countries are too vast. At least for me. I was only about 8 or 9 years old then but I seriously thought I was living in the twilight zone. I've never felt so disconnected from America in my life.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:06 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
When I used to live in Canada, the biggest difference I noticed was the weather. A majority of the time I lived in Montreal, it was dark and dull. Grey all the time. It was the worst. I hated it. I remember one day we traveled to Ottawa to see some friends and it was the best experience because it reminded me so much of the U.S. It was bright, sunny, newer, had suburban houses and neighborhoods, and most of all they spoke English! For the first time since moving, I felt normality. For all it was worth, I'm just glad to be back in the good ol' US of A. The differences between the countries are too vast. At least for me. I was only about 8 or 9 years old then but I seriously thought I was living in the twilight zone. I've never felt so disconnected from America in my life.
That's probably more because you were living in a province where French is the sole official language and there is a unique Quebec culture different from the rest of North America, rather than Canada and the US are that "vastly different".

Old 06-13-2012, 12:35 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
That's probably more because you were living in a province where French is the sole official language and there is a unique Quebec culture different from the rest of North America, rather than Canada and the US are that "vastly different".
Yes, I know that NOW. I didn't know that then. I was only 8. I'm just speaking from the way I felt then.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
a few for me (but have spent alot of time in Canada so am more aware of the differences):

- smaller freeways (except Toronto) and hardly any (if any) flyovers, less development/ billboards alongside the freeways
- less master-planned and manicured communities as well as the other extreme of less ghetto-ized areas
- less extremes of social strata (less flaunting of wealthy but also less poor)
- less obese people of all variations
- far more British or British-influenced old people
- people are less likely to be preppy and more likely to be "granola"
- French on packaging of consumer goods
- less displays of patriotism, military affiliations, religion- no megachurches
- more cosmopolitan feeling in big cities vs US counterparts (hard to describe until you visit)
- more expensive
hit pretty much everything i was thinking of.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:32 PM

468 posts, read 785,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
a few for me (but have spent alot of time in Canada so am more aware of the differences):

- smaller freeways (except Toronto) and hardly any (if any) flyovers, less development/ billboards alongside the freeways
- less master-planned and manicured communities as well as the other extreme of less ghetto-ized areas
- less extremes of social strata (less flaunting of wealthy but also less poor)
- less obese people of all variations
- far more British or British-influenced old people
- people are less likely to be preppy and more likely to be "granola"
- French on packaging of consumer goods
- less displays of patriotism, military affiliations, religion- no megachurches
- more cosmopolitan feeling in big cities vs US counterparts (hard to describe until you visit)
- more expensive
In other words, more people into Stuff White People Like:

Stuff White People Like

The guy who started it is originally from Toronto.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 PM

242 posts, read 510,608 times
^ Montreal is not meant for an 8 year old. Go back now and you'll love it. It's a beautiful city brimming with culture, historic (for North America) buildings, cobblestone streets, art shops, etc. I love visiting.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 PM

311 posts, read 605,418 times
* Canada uses the Metric system (love it)
* Quebec is French-speaking (Taste of some France)
* Different currency
* Taxes slightly higher/Things slightly more expensive

Otherwise Canada looks and feels like America!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That sure isn't the case where I live. Niagara Falls Ontario is a beautiful city. Go across the bridge to NF NY and it's pathetic. There just is not any comparison at all.

And part of the reason for that, is this tragedy Love Canal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada