Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 07:48 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Speaking of Russia and control/domination. Some may say that that is exactly what happened with its hacking during the U.S Elections as one of many examples. I suppose the 'best' forms of control and domination are so subtle however that one wouldn't even know it!

I cannot believe that you even bother to mention that...the notion of the Russian hacking the US election is clearly ridiculous...as serious as saying that the Aliens did it...try to think with your own brain people....

Old 12-28-2016, 07:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Speaking of control and dominance i'm about to totally give FIDO the boot for a multitude of deserved reasons. PLEASE Verizon, T-Mobile etc come up here and dominate our market. Our currently crop of telecom companies are all about ripping off the Canadian consumer and dominating and controlling us. That shake up would be more than welcomed!
Fusion; I hear ya bro!

A/J has perhaps touched on the part of our Canadianess, seemingly unlimited patience, I take most issue with. On the one hand we have the CRTC which is ostensibly designed to assist in "protecting Canadian culture" by overseeing Canadian content rules and on the other hand there doesn't seem to be any relief from those Canadian and other entities gouging the crap out of us with "country" pricing.

Open up that market. Allow free market competition. How come free trade rules don't apply to Canadian businesses being given healthy competition in spite of cultural nonsense? Explain to me why a government willing to subject me to higher prices, crappier content or limited choices ostensibly to protect my character or something, doesn't also protect me from gouging without reason? Why are they not insistent upon demanding to know why a product sold anywhere else in the world, is sold in Canada at 150% mark-up?

Most particularly we get screwed by the good old Canadian companies like Ma Bell, as an example, but in general we get hosed up the yahoo for everything from aspirin to Chevy Trucks simply because THEY CAN price an item with the traditional knowledge being "Canadians are used to taking it up the *** so charge them more."

On second thought, let's get that revolution rolling ASAP.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I cannot believe that you even bother to mention that...the notion of the Russian hacking the US election is clearly ridiculous...as serious as saying that the Aliens did it...try to think with your own brain people....
Oh well then, I guess a President saying it's so and a number of congressmen calling for an investigation, both the CIA and FBI purporting it happened among a host of other sources claiming it did, is confirming that "brains" are indeed at a deficit down there, and more importantly; they're in charge of you sheeple?

Old 12-28-2016, 08:21 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Speaking of control and dominance i'm about to totally give FIDO the boot for a multitude of deserved reasons. PLEASE Verizon, T-Mobile etc come up here and dominate our market. Our currently crop of telecom companies are all about ripping off the Canadian consumer and dominating and controlling us. That shake up would be more than welcomed!
I have heard cable and cell phone bills in Canada are some of the most expensive in the world and don't offer that much for what you pay.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh well then, I guess a President saying it's so and a number of congressmen calling for an investigation, both the CIA and FBI purporting it happened among a host of other sources claiming it did, is confirming that "brains" are indeed at a deficit down there, and more importantly; they're in charge of you sheeple?
.....the president of the losing party, the CIA and FBI never presented any smoking guns and trying to influence elections is something the US try to do often anyway and in the open at that....

A congressional investigation?? The American war party is strongly bipartisan, never waste an excuse to increase military spending....

Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The US already has almost all of what it needs and wants from Canada without any bloodshed: acces to our market for their products, to our land for defence purposes, to our resources, etc.

No need to annex us or invade us. Not worth the hassle.
Water. They would want our water. Current regulations do no allow tankers filled with water or pipelines.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Water. They would want our water. Current regulations do no allow tankers filled with water or pipelines.

...if water is the next oil, British Columbia is the next Saudi Arabia indeed....

However, cost of water desalination is going down dramatically.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I have heard cable and cell phone bills in Canada are some of the most expensive in the world and don't offer that much for what you pay.
I pay $40.00 per month for unlimited texting, unlimited long distance within Canada, and 1GB of data. I don't use much data since free wi-fi is everywhere I'm usually at. This is discounted I admit, since I used to work for the company. I believe the non-discounted rate is about $70.00

Cable? Millions of gotten rid of cable in both Canada and the US and watch their shows via different services and also having a VPN helps in watching content worldwide.

When I did have cable over 4 years ago, I was paying $80.00, but can't remember how many stations since I never watched them much.

Here are two offerings in my area. First one is cable in the old fashioned sense. Second is over fibre, or DSL lines. I have no idea how they compare to what you pay, that is, if you still have cable.

https://www.shaw.ca/television/plans/

TELUS Optik TV™ - Channels, packages and plans | TELUS.com

Old 12-28-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...if water is the next oil, British Columbia is the next Saudi Arabia indeed....

However, cost of water desalination is going down dramatically.
Canadians, don't want to send water anyway, so there are tears here. People see it as detrimental to the environment.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I pay $40.00 per month for unlimited texting, unlimited long distance within Canada, and 1GB of data. I don't use much data since free wi-fi is everywhere I'm usually at. This is discounted I admit, since I used to work for the company. I believe the non-discounted rate is about $70.00
Here in France, I pay 9.99 euros a months (15.99 after the first 6 months) for the following

unlimited talking and texting in France
5 GB of data
unlimited talking to fixed phones to the EU, Canada, China, the US etc.

1 Euro = 1.41 CAD. And the french price is the FULL price, no additional taxes and all that sh8t.

For TV/internet, I pay 29.99 Euros for all the dozens of channels (including HD), including home internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada