Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2019, 06:59 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
And now many Ukranians and Mennonites are the ones doing the same to recent arrivals. It happens to everyone. Most people come here very well aware that English or French are the languages to be learned. It was French and people from the British isles that built most of the institutions and governments of this country. I don't know why that is so hard to accept.
Aside from a few groups that go to great pains to self-segregate (Orthodox Jews, *some* Mennonite groups), after the first generation or two there aren't any unassimilated-unassimilatable immigrant groups in Canada. Yes some characteristics may subsist but as time goes on the dove-tailing with broader (Anglo-)Canadian society only goes in one direction.

Ironically if we were discussing how immigrants make an effort to "fit in" and integrate (or not), some of the people we have on here would be arguing the exact opposite of what they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 08:09 PM

225 posts, read 152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Simple answer, no.
I agree with Vive le Quebec libre. There are so many homeless people in Vancouver. I have not never seen anything on that level. Plus they are left on the street. There is not anything to compare with it in Quebec. Vancouver is like the new symbol of inequality in Canada.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 PM

225 posts, read 152,314 times
For the original poster I think that the US offers so much more opportunities and it is like the mother country of Canada to the west of Quebec. So if you are a guy from Calgary with the chance there is a good incentive to take it. Many people will still do OK also if they stay in Canada.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
I agree with Vive le Quebec libre. There are so many homeless people in Vancouver. I have not never seen anything on that level. Plus they are left on the street. There is not anything to compare with it in Quebec. Vancouver is like the new symbol of inequality in Canada.

I don't think you'll see any level to compare with it anywhere else in Canada. Do you know where the vast majority of those homeless people in Vancouver came from? They aren't from British Columbia. They came from all across Canada, including from Quebec.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:06 PM

525 posts, read 453,695 times
Quote:
I thought that at least part of the reason for this was because Vancouver has milder winters than the ROC, so more homeless people ended up there so they wouldn’t freeze to death. But yeah, the inequality is pretty disturbing. It’s awful that there’s so much suffering in such a beautiful city.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:13 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Vancouver is the end of the line westward for a lot of drifters. You would be surprised at how many of our street people have Quebecois accents. Many come westward in summer for fruit piking jobs in the Okanagan, drift out to Vancouver to spend the rest of summer by the beach, and end up broke and on the street.

It's so common for a homeless person here to be from Quebec, or Ontario etc. They have their little signs asking for money to go back to Quebec etc.

It's not true that they are left on the streets. Housing has been built, programs abound, but some people just don't want help. Don't forget the FIRST legal injection site was in Vancouver. That says something.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think you'll see any level to compare with it anywhere else in Canada. Do you know where the vast majority of those homeless people in Vancouver came from? They aren't from British Columbia. They came from all across Canada, including from Quebec.
I just posted much the same thing. If I had a dollar for every time I was asked for money from someone with a Quebecois accent in Vancouver, i'd be rich.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I thought that at least part of the reason for this was because Vancouver has milder winters than the ROC, so more homeless people ended up there so they wouldn’t freeze to death. But yeah, the inequality is pretty disturbing. It’s awful that there’s so much suffering in such a beautiful city.
It is also much more visible in Vancouver. Downtown is small in size, and you can't hide from it like in some cities. Look at the percentage of homelessness in other cities, and Vancouver is about average, or less.

Plus you are correct, the drifters end up here, but I have yet to be in any city in the last 20 years and not seen a homeless issue. LA, San Fran, Paris, London, well, pretty much any city of size.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:58 AM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I just posted much the same thing. If I had a dollar for every time I was asked for money from someone with a Quebecois accent in Vancouver, i'd be rich.
Strangely enough, a lot of beggars in Montreal seem to be English-speakers that did the reverse journey. I wonder why that is, how they ended up in Montreal, of all places. Wouldn’t it make more sense to stay in an area where your language is spoken?

Old 08-19-2019, 07:06 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Strangely enough, a lot of beggars in Montreal seem to be English-speakers that did the reverse journey. I wonder why that is, how they ended up in Montreal, of all places. Wouldn’t it make more sense to stay in an area where your language is spoken?
I have noticed this too - about Vancouver (francophone) and Montreal (anglophone) street people. Both are way out of proportion relative to the population of the city.

I can kind of understand why homeless people from Quebec might eventually end up in Vancouver, but I don't see the appeal of vagrancy in Montreal vs. Toronto or Ottawa. Perhaps more generous social programs for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada