Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times

Advertisements

Aaliyah was an average talent with a sexy persona, whose "untimely" and tragic death has granted her legend status. This happens all the time.

Marilyn Monroe....James Dean.....Tupac....Biggie......... These artists have good careers. But couple that with an accident or murder (at the height of their careers) they become "galactic"! Even nominal fans are ready to carve their images on Mt. Rushmore, put them in the Hall of Fame or give them posthumous Oscars or Grammies.

She is basically Ciara. A so-so voice.....not a lot of range. The belly shirts with the sexy abs. The belly dancing....same ol' thing. That last song "Rock the Boat"?? That was garbage. Same thing said over and over and over. A lot of lyrical thought put into that one.....

Having said all of that, there is still the school of thought that says it's hard to compare legacy when only one of them is still being written. Beyonce's history is still being written. However, I think it's safe to say that Bee has accomplished more already. Plus her voice is stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Sorry, I don't know how to separate your comments.

Dru Hill is trying, but they won't make it. Sisqo thinks he's a solo artist. One of the guys trick the group into signing a document, where he and another guy own something, if not all Dru Hill. A lot of animosity there. Rightfully so.

KC and JoJo trying to come back as well. I've seen their show as well. It was entertaining. Wasn't a lot of drama.

Speaking of comebacks...El Barge. Oh, I wish Traven Campbell would've tried to comeback.

It's one thing as a so called "pretty boy". Then, another to be pretty.

See how it's also impossible not to revert back to Beyonce. Bee has a huge machine behind her. It's no woman in the game. It's easy for Jay or Kanye to make those comments. There aren't any relevent female artist now. If your cute, slim and sing a little. The industry will throw her out there.

You didn't say R Kelly. Nope, don't care for Kelly. I didn't care for him before his arrest. You can't deny his talent, tho.

Kandi, no comment. I'm tired of her from ATL wives. Kandi can't sing to me. Her squealing is nerve racking.
Haha, I said the same thing, but her vocals were pretty dope on the album.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I know many people have probably heard this before, but what do you guys think about the statement that "If Aaliyah was still alive; Beyonce would've never got big"????

Thoughts???
I'm not big on respect for the dead, so I'll say the way I would if Aaliyah was still alive.

"Aaliyah is/was a piece of crap when compared to Beyonce. They aren't even on the same level. Even Alicia keys is a piece of crap when compared to Beyonce. As a matter of fact, all the present singers are just pieces of crap compared to Beyonce. Her Versatility alone takes a dump on Aaliyah."

Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I'm not big on respect for the dead, so I'll say the way I would if Aaliyah was still alive.

"Aaliyah is/was a piece of crap when compared to Beyonce. They aren't even on the same level. Even Alicia keys is a piece of crap when compared to Beyonce. As a matter of fact, all the present singers are just pieces of crap compared to Beyonce. Her Versatility alone takes a dump on Aaliyah."

Beyonce's only flaw to me, is that she cannot play an instrument. She is totally dependent on others to write melody for her. She can write lyrics. But that's it.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Beyonce's only flaw to me, is that she cannot play an instrument. She is totally dependent on others to write melody for her. She can write lyrics. But that's it.
And her music is simple. That's a negative and positive.

You'd think after all this time music has been part of her life; she'd at least learn how to play the the guitar or piano lol

Alicia Keys is good, but her music is boring. If she mixed it up now and than; she'd be good.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:09 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
I don't believe that Beyonce would have been "AS" popular as she is now had Aaliyah still been alive. While Aaliyah wasn't a powerhouse in terms of her voice, I think what appealed to the most about her back in the 90's was her personality. She was very approachable and very down to earth. folks felt comfortable in her presence.

Beyonce tries too hard to be "on" and "perfect" all of the time. That's not real and that's why alot of folks can't relate to her. So, in addition to her wonderful music and dance moves, Aaliyah had a sweet, yet approachable personality that folks enjoyed being around. And, that would have made Aaliyah stand out and reach a far higher level of popularity over Beyonce.
We could say "what if" until we are blue in the face. Who knows..Aaliyah could have fallen prey to the many temptations of Hollywood, OR she could have been a huge mega star by now. It's really hard to say. I think she accomplished quite a bit in her short life and all we can do is appreciate that.

The same debate has been brought up about Selena as well. Would J-Lo be as popular had Selena lived? Same as above.

Last edited by Gil3; 01-03-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Haha, I said the same thing, but her vocals were pretty dope on the album.
well if she can salvage kim's train wreck of a voice it's for certain that she can tweak her own

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
And her music is simple. That's a negative and positive.

You'd think after all this time music has been part of her life; she'd at least learn how to play the the guitar or piano lol

Alicia Keys is good, but her music is boring. If she mixed it up now and than; she'd be good.
As far as Beyonce and Alicia: I think Alicia has made songs that will stand the test of time better than Beyonce's.

Songs in A Minor was a great cd; I don't know anyone who doesn't like Falling. Beyonce's songs are the type of songs that are fun to sing loud, fun to dance to, you might do them at Karaoke but I can't imagine anyone singing Video Phone ten years from now.

All great artists have at least one it song. I don't think Beyonce has made her it song yet.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
As far as Beyonce and Alicia: I think Alicia has made songs that will stand the test of time better than Beyonce's.

Songs in A Minor was a great cd; I don't know anyone who doesn't like Falling. Beyonce's songs are the type of songs that are fun to sing loud, fun to dance to, you might do them at Karaoke but I can't imagine anyone singing Video Phone ten years from now.

All great artists have at least one it song. I don't think Beyonce has made her it song yet.

Crazy in Love is her signature song.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Crazy in Love is her signature song.
There was nothing epic or memorable about that song.

When that song came out and everyone hyped the hell out of it; I was so confused and didn't understand why. The best thing about that song was the beat.

I agree with you Natalay. Alicia Keys is a much better artist and makes better music, but I get bored with her music. I don't really even listen to Beyonce to be honest; her music is simple and if you've heard one song; you've heard them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities