Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:28 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any good stories or legends to share? Preferably not the touristy stuff featured in downtown ghost tours but things in the outlying areas and rural areas. Also, if you know how to get to the place your talking about please post that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 03:27 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,551 times
Light Road in Summerville. There is a dirt road at a dead end in an undeveloped area in Summerville that teens have been going down in cars for years. If you sit there long enough a light will appear in the distance and will keep getting closer. Legend has it that it has even flipped over cars. lol

My daughter has been there and has seen the light herself but they never stayed long enough because they get too scared. I've been there in the daytime and that is scary enough. I refuse to go at night! You can check out some stories from people who have experienced it here and they give directions, pretty creepy stuff:
Paraseek.com Discussion Forum
http://files.meetup.com/189470/sjs2.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 PM

thanks, I'll check that out. Have you ever heard to strawberry chapel?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:14 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
here is a site for you:
Ghosts of Charleston

Pelican Inn of Pawleys Island - The Grey Man Tales > Tales From The Coast!

Also in Pawleys Island: All Saint’s Church: The old building and cemetery at All Saint’s are a traditional afternoon visit. Turn left at the North Causeway and go about a mile and a half, and turn right at the first stop sign, then go about another mile. The old church and cemetery are on the west side of the road. You can look in the windows of the church, then head straight back into the cemetery—just past a cedar tree is the supposed grave of Alice, who is said to return to look for her engagement ring, taken from her by her brother before she died in the nineteenth century. Teenagers come at midnight to leave her rings and flowers—they also walk backwards around the grave 13 times to make her rise. Many old inhabitants of the area (Pawleys, Wards, and Lachicottes, among others) are buried here, as well as the poet James Dickey and his wife. Wear insect repellent!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
thanks, I'll check that out. Have you ever heard to strawberry chapel?
No, but they talk about it on one of those sites. It's out in Moncks Corner I think near Mepkin Abbey.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
Light Road in Summerville. There is a dirt road at a dead end in an undeveloped area in Summerville that teens have been going down in cars for years. If you sit there long enough a light will appear in the distance and will keep getting closer. Legend has it that it has even flipped over cars. lol

My daughter has been there and has seen the light herself but they never stayed long enough because they get too scared. I've been there in the daytime and that is scary enough. I refuse to go at night! You can check out some stories from people who have experienced it here and they give directions, pretty creepy stuff:
Summerville, SC Meetup Groups - Meetup.com (http://files.meetup.com/189470/sjs2.jpg - broken link)
Just a little update: I have been to to see this Light several times at night since posting this. Most recently, over the holidays, I was bored one evening at 6:30 PM and decided to check it out by myself for the first time. I had been with friends previously and had seen a light very far off in the distance but didn't think too much of it.

However, recently I was there it was unmistakeably real. I pull up in the early evening behind the first hill of dirt (road is impassible) turn my car around (for an easy escape), step outside and I see a red glow down the road a few hundred feet. It came and went and was easier to see if I didn't look straight at it. Anyways, after a minute of me staring at it from behind the dirt mound beside my car it disappeared. Disappointed, I was about to get in my car and leave but on impulse I decided to stand up on the side of my car next to my seat for a better view. What I saw next made my blood run cold....the red light was now much closer-maybe 75 feet- moving along the ground towards me. It's movement was "wispy" like a leaf moving in the breeze rather than in a straight line. Call me crazy but it seemed like it was using the dirt as "cover" to sneak up on me. I jumped in my car and hit the gas!

I went again a couple nights later because I couldn't resist and sure enough it was there yet again, although it didnt come towards me. Went with a friend two nights ago but it was way to foggy to see anything more than 50 feet away so we left because I figured I didn't want to only be able to see something when it got that close to me lol.

I have no idea how I've been brave (or stupid) enough to go by myself but I find this stuff fascinating!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 AM

For the record, at least when I've seen the light, I wouldn't describe it so much as a "light" because it doesn't illuminate anything around it. No, it's more like a shapeless object that glows and flickers. People have seen different colors and I remember seeing it as white there with high school friends in the past. Now, it is red.

I understand it may have a scientific explanation but I am dying to hear it. The road veers too far from I-26 for it to be headlights and I can't consider the swamp gas solution without laughing.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 AM

Wow really? That's unbelievable. It is so freaky that this has been going on for so long and no one can explain it. Thanks for coming back and updating, it gave me the chills. I wondered if you ever went. As for me, I will NEVER go there, but I like hearing the stories.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 AM

32 posts, read 136,753 times
My son has been out to the Summerville light several times with his friends and they do see the light most every time. He told me (from the reading he did online about it), that one of legends is that the light is from a lady who's husband died after getting hit by the train. He would go out at night and she would be there with her light to guide him back home. Rumor has it that the light is most prominent at midnight. It does come closer to you, but when my son would walk towards it, the light would back off a bit. I love this stuff....but I haven't been out there at night. I haven't googled the history of it, but there is info on the web about it.

Last edited by Cheri89; 01-06-2009 at 08:49 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 AM

32 posts, read 136,753 times
Found a short story about the Summerville Light:

SUMMERVILLE LIGHTS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area