Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
Daniel Island or MtP sounds good for you...

you are from the extreme liberal side of Boston? Summerville probably isn't going to be what you're looking for if so... highly conservative Churches on every other corner

every house has ten guns and there's a redneck with a camo truck flying confederate flags every half of block or so, so the diversity thing really hasn't caught on even though the politicians will tell you otherwise

plus S'Ville is getting full, bad traffic...

That is an extremely rude, unfair, untrue, and bigoted statement you made about Summerville - which is a family-oriented town (with a quaint, historical downtown area) consisting of a mix of blue and white collar workers, upper, middle, and lower classes, blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, and other races, and a wide variety of neighborhoods. And since when is Daniels Island or Mt. Pleasant noted for their "diversity"? Have fun finding a home in those areas for under $350,000. You mentioned Summerville's traffic...it is nothing compared to Mt. Pleasant's traffic problems. I have new neighbors on Johns Island who moved here to escape the heavy traffic in Mt. Pleasant and to have some space and peace and quiet.

The "holier than thou" attitude of people who live East of the Cooper spills out all over this forum, which has not gone unnoticed by out-of-staters. Several have PM'd me to ask why people from Mt. Pleasant put down other areas so badly and ask if they are "snooty". Words speak for themselves.....

One can kindly suggest a certain area to a newcomer without trashing other areas. I don't even live in Summerville, but felt the need to speak out.

Play nice, please.

Last edited by SCBeaches; 12-28-2007 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:55 AM

330 posts, read 1,196,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
That is an extremely rude, unfair, untrue, and bigoted statement you made about Summerville - which is a family-oriented town (with a quaint, historical downtown area) consisting of a mix of blue and white collar workers, upper, middle, and lower classes, blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, and other races, and a wide variety of neighborhoods. And since when is Daniels Island or Mt. Pleasant noted for their "diversity"? Have fun finding a home in those areas for under $350,000. You mentioned Summerville's traffic...it is nothing compared to Mt. Pleasant's traffic problems. I have new neighbors on Johns Island who moved here to escape the heavy traffic in Mt. Pleasant and to have some space and peace and quiet.

The "holier than thou" attitude of people who live East of the Cooper spills out all over this forum, which has not gone unnoticed by out-of-staters. Several have PM'd me to ask why people from Mt. Pleasant put down other areas so badly and ask if they are "snooty". Words speak for themselves.....

One can kindly suggest a certain area to a newcomer without trashing other areas. I don't even live in Summerville, but felt the need to speak out.

Play nice, please.
I would have said all this myself, SCBeaches, but us rednecks here in Summerville aren't educated enough to use them big words like diversity.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:37 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post

Play nice, please.
ahemm I can say those things, I live in S'Ville and have for nearly two decades

I'm a lowcountry native, have lived all over the lowcountry but settled into S'Ville for the duration quite awhile back

I was actually joking but it didn't seemed to get received as so...

if you follow any of my past post you'll see I think quite highly of S'Ville, which is why I live here

I am a big redneck with a pickup truck, but I did remove my confederate flag decals once I realized how it offended some people... after the NAACP and Marice Bessinger both got wealthy off of Bess's BBQ sauce during the fight over the flag at the state house ( and people thought we were too slow to catch on )

most of MtP was a landfill once upon a time, real garbage and some of it stuck around as many can tell... and people wonder why their houses never "settle"

S'Ville is the best community in the lowcountry IMHO, schools are the best in the state and all... but we really are starting to get "full" so don't take it personal if I try to sway you in another direction

the one fact - there are tons of hunters, conservatives, churches, and guns here...

Old 12-29-2007, 05:40 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
HA!
Cast the right fly & you catch the right fish...

I got it Meks;

but a new-comer would miss it, which would be unfortunate if they were trying to find out what the area is really about. After all, that is what this forum stands for, honest opinions.

As "one of the biggest southern redneck conservative Christians in the area" who enjoys actually living IN Summerville, you probably could have done better on that one, but I get it.

I still smile at the flags...
jim

Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
HA!
Cast the right fly & you catch the right fish...

I got it Meks;

but a new-comer would miss it, which would be unfortunate if they were trying to find out what the area is really about. After all, that is what this forum stands for, honest opinions.

As "one of the biggest southern redneck conservative Christians in the area" who enjoys actually living IN Summerville, you probably could have done better on that one, but I get it.

I still smile at the flags...
jim
yeaa my bad Jim...

Happy New Year All !!

different strokes for different folks but there is no better living in the lowcountry than S'Ville unless you're looking to really be closer to the ocean

even at that I'm in the stono river (salt water river very close to the ocean with some of the best spotail bass/trout fishing in the lowcountry) in 25 minutes, or in the fresh water lakes the other direction in 30 or so

so I live close enough to the ocean yet far enough to not have to evacuate for a hurricane

Old 12-29-2007, 10:36 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,294 times
Haha! I've never heard anyone consider S'Ville "redneck". Now Goose Creek on the other hand......lol And no I don't have a Confederate flag sticker on my car. However I do have ancestor's that fought in that war.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:01 AM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
There's a pretty good chance that we all have ancestors that fought in the war;
just different color uniforms.

Meks; that is exactly the same reason I live in S'ville. Close enough to the water - yet far enough, one hopes, from the hurricane. Which sometimes rhymes with 'pelican' around here.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
Meks; that is exactly the same reason I live in S'ville. Close enough to the water - yet far enough, one hopes, from the hurricane.
Jim I lived West Ashley right off of the marsh when hurricane Hugo hit, we had to evacuate because cops came knocking on the door saying get out and my house suffered some pretty sufficient damage with part of it never to be found

the house I live in now, brick ranch style, was here then too and suffered no damage other than a few shingles lost... that was the worse hurricane in history to hit this area I believe, so I know I can sit tight through any other

I'll send the family up the road out the back way that no one took but a few locals the last time...

during the "Flyod" fiasco my family was on the other side of Alabama before most of this entire area could get out of S'Ville because too many people listened to the news on how to get out of here

hint - Hugo roared right up I-26, I wouldn't go that route if I were you... find a local that was here before I-26 was built and follow

Old 12-30-2007, 05:06 PM

I have only lived in the Lowcountry for 25 years, but my ancestors were some of the first planters to farm and live on Wadmalaw near Rockville and I have relatives scattered throughout James Island, Johns Island, Summerville, and Holly Hill...so I do (as you can tell ) get defensive about our beloved Lowcountry. Some areas always get a bad rap by some in other areas, if you know what I mean. I usually don't say anything, but Meks (in all your sarcastic glory ) really got my dander up. LOL Pie in my face...I'll know next time!

As for hurricanes, I lived on James Island during Hurricane Hugo and we evacuated to....where else, but Otranto, where some friends lived. In retrospect, that wasn't the smartest move since there was more damage done to the house we were in than my house back on James Island (part of the roof was torn off, all the trees came down on the house and cars - mine was smashed). I decided to pay heed and evacuate further away next time...LOL. For Floyd, we went the back ways to Helen, Georgia and made a 3 day vacation out of it. Being on Johns Island, I definitely take hurricane warnings seriously...don't want to get trapped here.....so I think next time, we'll just go to my brother's house in Holly Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area