Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 AM

45 posts, read 125,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Souls View Post
I'm curious......where would you pack up and go in a heartbeat?
I know I'd pack up and go back to northwest New Jersey in a heartbeat. Give me nicer summer weather, snow, 4 distinct normal seasons, higher property taxes, the mountains, NYC 30mi away.... (I had no say in leaving the state, or else I probably would have stayed).

Only problem on going back, is that my husband wouldn't go with me (lived here the last 20 out of his 25 years), which is a big part of why I'm still here.

My updated list (since last time I posted was in 2008 in here)
- Still the hot weather (winters have been pleasant for me the last couple years with some snow! )
- Traffic
- More crime making its way into Summerville
- Drivers (the ones who ride up the right lane in historic Summerville just to try and cut you off when the lane ends at the train tracks; those with nowhere to go doing 10 under the limit; those who go slow as molasses in the left lane of the interstate or cut you off then go slow... had one driver run me off I-26 in Columbia over the weekend )

Things I like
- Italian Bistro in Knightsville! Without that place, I'd lose my mind when it came to finding good Italian food.
- Local caught seafood
- Being close to the beaches
- The fact it's snowed the last 2 winters.

Last edited by JerseyGirl217; 07-07-2011 at 08:51 AM..

Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 8,559 times
Well visiting Charleston and actually living in it are two different things. It's like a teenager thinking they can handle raising kids bc they've babysat for a few hours! I really do not like to be negative and try to find the positive in almost anything but I just am not feeling it here. That's just me though. Oh and I agree about the slow drivers. When we say slow, we're talking at least 5-10 mph under the speed limit!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:33 AM

870 posts, read 1,988,209 times
Hmmmm.... 5 things I hate about Charleston....this is going to be tough

1. People from out of state (usually up North somewhere) who come here to get away from wherever they are from and then do nothing but complain about how much better it is back home.

2. People who are considering a move here but feel that, because they don't fit into what they think is our "cookie cutter" mindset, they won't be accepted.

3. Having to work on Isle of Palms when the weather is nice. No chance of me getting anything useful done when I am that close to the ocean on a beautiful day.

4. That Joe Reily made the Italian Ice girls put shirts on. The bikini tops and shorts weren't hurting anyone JOE!!!!!!

5. The fact that I don't own a boat...yet...

There you have it!

Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
1. Cockroaches and mosquitos.
2. Worst drivers in the world live here, and I've driven all over the world. I know.
3. Racial politics and animosity in the schools and workplace - from the black side especially.
4. South Carolinians have no sense of humor. They don't understand sarcasm.
5. No sidewalks and no bike paths.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:54 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
I don't know where you are from or where you live, but this is the south we have bugs....

Worse drivers in the world, you have never been to Greece, Italy, Spain, Etc.....

Racial politics I will give you that one, on both sides....

Humor is different, I know quite a few locals that get sarcasm, they just don't think yours is funny....

Lots of bike paths and sidewalks what rock do you live under?

Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 AM

482 posts, read 845,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletomcat View Post
humor is different, i know quite a few locals that get sarcasm, they just don't think yours is funny....
:d

Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 AM

171 posts, read 305,316 times
Although i do like it here on many levels and enjoy the beach and scenery that's about it.
The drivers are THE ABSOLUTE WORST thus leading to constant traffic snarl ups and major accidents and forget about owning a motorcycle or bicycle here. The food is boring, usually overpriced and unless you want fried 'bar food' most resteraunts are closed by 9pm, maybe 10 on Fri/Sat. The people are generally VERY racist, ignorant and uneducated, the 'good ole boy' thing is way over the top here and they constantly attempt to suppress the native born blacks who large percentages of seem to refuse to contribute anything worthwhile to society here, just stick up kids and wannabe thugs.
Crime rates have gone way up over the past few years and it seems almost daily someone is shot in areas of downtown/N.Chas. Another thing to take into consideration is cost, Charleston is very expensive compared to other cities when you take into account the average pay here for most is way less than in the NE and west, Taxes are fairly high, homeowners/flood/car insurance is ridiculous, food is expensive and lacking alternatives, etc. etc. While It is beautiful here in many ways it's more of a great place to visit than live.
And lets not even get started on the heat, humidity and bugs!
I know this sounds contradictory but even though i haven't entirely turned my back on Chas I am however fully over this place.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
Although i do like it here on many levels and enjoy the beach and scenery that's about it.
The drivers are THE ABSOLUTE WORST thus leading to constant traffic snarl ups and major accidents and forget about owning a motorcycle or bicycle here. The food is boring, usually overpriced and unless you want fried 'bar food' most resteraunts are closed by 9pm, maybe 10 on Fri/Sat. The people are generally VERY racist, ignorant and uneducated, the 'good ole boy' thing is way over the top here and they constantly attempt to suppress the native born blacks who large percentages of seem to refuse to contribute anything worthwhile to society here, just stick up kids and wannabe thugs.
Crime rates have gone way up over the past few years and it seems almost daily someone is shot in areas of downtown/N.Chas. Another thing to take into consideration is cost, Charleston is very expensive compared to other cities when you take into account the average pay here for most is way less than in the NE and west, Taxes are fairly high, homeowners/flood/car insurance is ridiculous, food is expensive and lacking alternatives, etc. etc. While It is beautiful here in many ways it's more of a great place to visit than live.
And lets not even get started on the heat, humidity and bugs!
I know this sounds contradictory but even though i haven't entirely turned my back on Chas I am however fully over this place.
I'll say it again.....

I-26w to I-95N.....

Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 AM

171 posts, read 305,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I'll say it again.....

I-26w to I-95N.....
This is exactly the attitude that i'm referring to.
my counterpoint to this is that i'm here, along with many many other north easterners and we ARE changing this place into something that WE want, so YOU get over it or YOU get out and or stick your head further up you arse sir/madame cause like it or not we are here and not going anywhere anytime soon. Our numbers just get bigger and bigger and we will change this place and get rid of you racist close minded ignorant southerners.
good day to you.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
This is exactly the attitude that I'm referring to.
my counterpoint to this is that I'm here, along with many many other north easterners and we ARE changing this place into something that WE want, so YOU get over it or YOU get out and or stick your head further up you arse sir/madame cause like it or not we are here and not going anywhere anytime soon. Our numbers just get bigger and bigger and we will change this place and get rid of you racist close minded ignorant southerners.
good day to you.
You obviously have never read any of my other posts.....

First I am from the NE, I was forced to move here by Uncle Sam, had a similar attitude to yours until I actually got to know the people here and learn something that I would have never learn in the government indoctrinations centers known as the public schools up north......

Second your attitude is probably why you are treated the way you are and why you have not been able to assimilate into society here. Your rude 'arse' will not be tolerated in polite society......

Third you obviously have not been to very many places other than where you grew up to claim that the drivers here are the worse, try driving in LA, NYC, Atlanta, Boston, Dallas or Houston and then tell me how bad the traffic is here.....

Fourth no matter how many Yankees move here and there will be plenty they will never change the way Southerner's do things, they will always stand out as Yankees and be labeled as such until they learn to assimilate.....

I could go on and give you the information you need to know, but leasons learned hard are leasons learned long....

Now Bless your heart and have a wonderful day......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area