Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

I am constantly amazed by these "complaints" leveled against Charleston because I just don't see it. I wonder if perhaps they are experiencing a Charleston that I have not in the last 15 years and where in the world they are living that makes it so "bad". I love it here and Charleston is consistently rated as one of the top places to live and visit so it would seem I am not alone in that thought.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 AM

171 posts, read 305,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
You obviously have never read any of my other posts.....

First I am from the NE, I was forced to move here by Uncle Sam, had a similar attitude to yours until I actually got to know the people here and learn something that I would have never learn in the government indoctrinations centers known as the public schools up north......

Second your attitude is probably why you are treated the way you are and why you have not been able to assimilate into society here. Your rude 'arse' will not be tolerated in polite society......

Third you obviously have not been to very many places other than where you grew up to claim that the drivers here are the worse, try driving in LA, NYC, Atlanta, Boston, Dallas or Houston and then tell me how bad the traffic is here.....

Fourth no matter how many Yankees move here and there will be plenty they will never change the way Southerner's do things, they will always stand out as Yankees and be labeled as such until they learn to assimilate.....

I could go on and give you the information you need to know, but leasons learned hard are leasons learned long....

Now Bless your heart and have a wonderful day......
apologies to you then sir,
as far as driving goes, aside from living and working as a delivery driver in NYC for years i spent a year in Boston, a summer in SF and LA, and drove the country with my dog for a year so i feel like i am entitled to make a judgment call about drivers and the painfully distracted drivers here SUCK, like it or not that's that, the facts back it up.

As far as my 'attitude' and not being treated good here you couldn't be any more wrong, i have actually made way more friends here, life long ones, that i ever imagined in NYC so i have been treated very well here. I'm just trying to be subjective and looking at things from an insiders POV. The issues i bring up are real and what makes us the laughing stock of the country.
No feeling hurt and hope you have a good day as well.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
as far as driving goes, aside from living and working as a delivery driver in NYC for years i spent a year in Boston, a summer in SF and LA, and drove the country with my dog for a year so i feel like i am entitled to make a judgment call about drivers and the painfully distracted drivers here SUCK, like it or not that's that, the facts back it up.

As far as my 'attitude' and not being treated good here you couldn't be any more wrong, i have actually made way more friends here, life long ones, that i ever imagined in NYC so i have been treated very well here. I'm just trying to be subjective and looking at things from an insiders POV. The issues i bring up are real and what makes us the laughing stock of the country.
Yes you but I would be willing to bet that all of the friends that you made here are from Ohio, NY or elsewhere and that there are very few of the people you call friends that are from here or have lived here for more than a few years.....

If you drove in all of those places than you must of had your head up your 'arse' to not see all the same things you complain about here only 10Xworse....

Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I would feel safe in saying that most do not agree with you on this. In addition, your prior statement about how people from the Northeast are going to take over, etc, was, on its face, both rude and insulting.

Having lived all over due to my military service, I have never felt it necessary to be rude. I have, however, found it necessary to adjust to my environment because other parts of the country simply have a different way of living and thought than my own. There's a saying that I think is quite apropos...when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Yes you but I would be willing to bet that all of the friends that you made here are from Ohio, NY or elsewhere and that there are very few of the people you call friends that are from here or have lived here for more than a few years.....

If you drove in all of those places than you must of had your head up your 'arse' to not see all the same things you complain about here only 10Xworse....
wrong times 1000, most of the friends i have made here are natives who are also fed up with the redneck ways of this town and doing their part collectively to change it.
Done with this argument now also.
have a good day.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I would feel safe in saying that most do not agree with you on this. In addition, your prior statement about how people from the Northeast are going to take over, etc, was, on its face, both rude and insulting.

Having lived all over due to my military service, I have never felt it necessary to be rude. I have, however, found it necessary to adjust to my environment because other parts of the country simply have a different way of living and thought than my own. There's a saying that I think is quite apropos...when in Rome, do as the Romans do.
was just being a smart ass.
sorry if i offended you.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM

88 posts, read 185,070 times
Default Some people give transplants a bad name

I have to say I find some comments amusing , if not pathetic . I am currently in RI and have visited Charleston . After doing a great deal of research on possible retirement or 2nd homes , we are looking seriously at Charleston . It has a moderate climate in winter , great restaurants , the ability to play golf and tennis year round , better taxes and a more conservative political climate than what I am forced to endure up here . It also has a Yankee farm team , which is terrific as a Yankee fan . No place is perfect , and yes I am sure the summer is uncomfortable , but it beats snow shoveling and 20 below . For those northeasterners who are bent on "taking over " you sound like morons . You are obnoxious in the South and you were probably obnoxious and miserable back in the North . Why don't you just enjoy the good aspects of the area and stop complaining . If you want New York , move back or shut up . I for one can't wait to leave this declining area and move on down and associate with both transplants and natives who are both realistic and pleasant .

Old 07-18-2011, 08:59 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
wrong times 1000, most of the friends i have made here are natives who are also fed up with the redneck ways of this town and doing their part collectively to change it.
Done with this argument now also.
have a good day.
Seriously, the natives are the rednecks so like I said you have not made friends with any, maybe second generation yankees whose parents moved here or maybe third gen whose grand's moved here but not true southerners who have been living here since before the war of northern aggression.....

Like I said before, bless your heart and have a great day......

Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Seriously, the natives are the rednecks so like I said you have not made friends with any, maybe second generation yankees whose parents moved here or maybe third gen whose grand's moved here but not true southerners who have been living here since before the war of northern aggression.....

Like I said before, bless your heart and have a great day......
"war of northern aggression" oh boy...just gonna leave that one alone.

and gonna disagree with you that the natives are rednecks, some are, some are not. Some NY'ers are rednecks, in fact i would bet that (depending on your def of redneck) that there are more of them on Long Island than there are here.
Dont mistake my criticism of this town as a direct insult, i do like it here very much on some levels and despise it on others. i just see where the changes NEED to be made and the facts back it up across the board, from education, to personal and sexual health, drug use, drop out rates, etc etc.
good luck to you

Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrossi View Post
Why don't you just enjoy the good aspects of the area and stop complaining .
hmmmmmm, lets see..
maybe because this thread was titled 'top 5 (or more) things that you HATE most about living in Charleston' genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area