Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 11:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
wrong times 1000, most of the friends i have made here are natives who are also fed up with the redneck ways of this town and doing their part collectively to change it.
Done with this argument now also.
have a good day.
so much for this argument being done......

Like a NYer you are rude and do not know when to go away.....

Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
"war of northern aggression" oh boy...just gonna leave that one alone.

and gonna disagree with you that the natives are rednecks, some are, some are not. Some NY'ers are rednecks, in fact i would bet that (depending on your def of redneck) that there are more of them on Long Island than there are here.
Dont mistake my criticism of this town as a direct insult, i do like it here very much on some levels and despise it on others. i just see where the changes NEED to be made and the facts back it up across the board, from education, to personal and sexual health, drug use, drop out rates, etc etc.
good luck to you
It was the war of Northern Aggression, the Norht attacked the south, they were the first ones to march troups into the south....

Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 AM

171 posts, read 305,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
so much for this argument being done......

Like a NYer you are rude and do not know when to go away.....

i came here to have a discussion, you just want to sling insults around.
insecure much?
boy you guys down here get your feelings hurt so easily. i find it amusing, really.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
i came here to have a discussion, you just want to sling insults around.
insecure much?
boy you guys down here get your feelings hurt so easily. i find it amusing, really.
My feelings are not hurt, you are the one that said 'this arguement is done' and then you came back to argue some more.....

The only name I have ever called you is a Yankee and I can, since I am one too.....

You are the one who first resorted to personnel attacks...

The only difference is you are an ignorant one, I am informed....

Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,953 times
Quote:
Although i do like it here on many levels and enjoy the beach and scenery that's about it.
The drivers are THE ABSOLUTE WORST thus leading to constant traffic snarl ups and major accidents and forget about owning a motorcycle or bicycle here. The food is boring, usually overpriced and unless you want fried 'bar food' most resteraunts are closed by 9pm, maybe 10 on Fri/Sat. The people are generally VERY racist, ignorant and uneducated, the 'good ole boy' thing is way over the top here and they constantly attempt to suppress the native born blacks who large percentages of seem to refuse to contribute anything worthwhile to society here, just stick up kids and wannabe thugs.
Crime rates have gone way up over the past few years and it seems almost daily someone is shot in areas of downtown/N.Chas. Another thing to take into consideration is cost, Charleston is very expensive compared to other cities when you take into account the average pay here for most is way less than in the NE and west, Taxes are fairly high, homeowners/flood/car insurance is ridiculous, food is expensive and lacking alternatives, etc. etc. While It is beautiful here in many ways it's more of a great place to visit than live.
And lets not even get started on the heat, humidity and bugs!
I know this sounds contradictory but even though i haven't entirely turned my back on Chas I am however fully over this place.
I am new around here, but I do have to disagree with some of your post. First, where are the traffic snarl ups? Maybe I don't get out enough, because I just don't see it. I know in another post you said that you drove in NYC and Boston, and some other places, but I really have to disagree that the drivers are the worst here. I just don't understand how you can say they are worse than Boston drivers. I lived my whole life in MA, and the drivers are 100x worse than here. It is quite a relief to not have to drive defensively all the time now and deal with the constant tailgating, horn honking, and just plain rudeness of drivers.

Have you ever owned property in the NE? The RE taxes are much more there. I find that my car insurance now is the same I was paying living in the second largest city in MA around 12 years ago. I'm sure if I lived there now my car insurance would be doubled. My brother lives in RI and pays $4,000 a year for 2 vehicles and they both have great driving records. I will keep the cost of insurance here thank you.

As far as the cost of food, I still can't get over how low the prices are on most items here! Although I do find that dairy products are high here. Overall, even with the food tax, I pay less for groceries here.

Gas is consistently a good 30 cents a gallon less here than in MA. I pay less for premium then my mother does for regular in MA.

I find that the cost of living is much better here and I did take a cut in pay coming here, but it was a very small cut in pay. I do have to admit that I was surprised at that, I thought I would have to take a big cut.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
This is exactly the attitude that i'm referring to.
my counterpoint to this is that i'm here, along with many many other north easterners and we ARE changing this place into something that WE want, so YOU get over it or YOU get out and or stick your head further up you arse sir/madame cause like it or not we are here and not going anywhere anytime soon. Our numbers just get bigger and bigger and we will change this place and get rid of you racist close minded ignorant southerners.
good day to you.
This is your second post and you are calling me and others 'racist close minded ignorant southerns'

So insecure much?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I am new around here, but I do have to disagree with some of your post. First, where are the traffic snarl ups? Maybe I don't get out enough, because I just don't see it. I know in another post you said that you drove in NYC and Boston, and some other places, but I really have to disagree that the drivers are the worst here. I just don't understand how you can say they are worse than Boston drivers. I lived my whole life in MA, and the drivers are 100x worse than here. It is quite a relief to not have to drive defensively all the time now and deal with the constant tailgating, horn honking, and just plain rudeness of drivers.

Have you ever owned property in the NE? The RE taxes are much more there. I find that my car insurance now is the same I was paying living in the second largest city in MA around 12 years ago. I'm sure if I lived there now my car insurance would be doubled. My brother lives in RI and pays $4,000 a year for 2 vehicles and they both have great driving records. I will keep the cost of insurance here thank you.

As far as the cost of food, I still can't get over how low the prices are on most items here! Although I do find that dairy products are high here. Overall, even with the food tax, I pay less for groceries here.

Gas is consistently a good 30 cents a gallon less here than in MA. I pay less for premium then my mother does for regular in MA.

I find that the cost of living is much better here and I did take a cut in pay coming here, but it was a very small cut in pay. I do have to admit that I was surprised at that, I thought I would have to take a big cut.
compared to Mass your right! seriously aggressive drivers there but i will say that they do generally seem to pay attention to whats going on around them.
as far as cost i'm comparing from what i know of DT Chas which is probably not a good comparison as it's pretty pricey on most fronts, housing, food, etc.
that said the burbs are much better but the original poster asked about Chas which i assumed to mean the DT area, not the greater area.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The only difference is you are an ignorant one, I am informed....
pfft...
actually what you are is a troll, informed? maybe, but a troll nevertheless.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 AM

The original post was three years ago by someone had five posts and then wasn't heard from again....

Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
pfft...
actually what you are is a troll, informed? maybe, but a troll nevertheless.
Again with the name calling and once again you obviously haven't read very many of my other posts in other threads....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area