U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 AM
 
5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
Reputation: 3382

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I notice you once again conveniently skipped the portion of the post that addressed head on the flaw in the need for redistricting in the first place.
So are you saying no redistricting was needed? If so, did anyone show better numbers to prove that was the case? That's fine if you think you can prove the BOE's numbers to be wacky, but in order to change the overall outcome you'd need to show that your own numbers are better, and unless I missed it, I didn't really see anything convincing.

 
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM
 
45,001 posts, read 17,891,137 times
Reputation: 18864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Nasty View Post
but what denotes "obsessed"?…...
Asking personal details or forumers here that you apparently disagree with.
 
Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 AM
 
527 posts, read 637,573 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So are you saying no redistricting was needed? If so, did anyone show better numbers to prove that was the case? That's fine if you think you can prove the BOE's numbers to be wacky, but in order to change the overall outcome you'd need to show that your own numbers are better, and unless I missed it, I didn't really see anything convincing.
My job isn't to produce capacity or enrollment numbers. However, as a citizen of union county it is my job to analyze the numbers and call them into question when there are glaring inaccuracies and inconsistencies... and not just in the numbers, but in the process and solution to address the numbers.

Let's use Parkwood High School as an example.

Per the Comprehensive Facility Study, PHS has a classroom capacity of 975. Per the Enrollment vs. Capacity worksheet for 2013 - 2014 PHS has a capacity of 1,235. So, already there are 260 unexplained seats available at PHS.

Now, it was explained to us at one point that the school capacity numbers were based on cafeteria and media center capacity. If that's indeed the case, PHS has a serious issue. According to the same Comprehensive Facility Study the PHS cafeteria does not meet NCDPI standards and with 3 lunches can only serve 639 students. That's an unexplained gap of 596 students.

Even the dumbest dummy can figure out that the numbers don't add up... yet, not once did anyone on the BOE ask a single question regarding capacity/enrollment and the blatant discrepancies in the numbers being presented to them. Parents did the homework, the BOE chose to ignore it.

If you buy into the myth of Webbmatics then I seriously doubt I will ever be able to show you "better numbers".

.
 
Old 08-18-2014, 03:30 PM
 
5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
My job isn't to produce capacity or enrollment numbers. However, as a citizen of union county it is my job to analyze the numbers and call them into question when there are glaring inaccuracies and inconsistencies... and not just in the numbers, but in the process and solution to address the numbers.

Let's use Parkwood High School as an example.

Per the Comprehensive Facility Study, PHS has a classroom capacity of 975. Per the Enrollment vs. Capacity worksheet for 2013 - 2014 PHS has a capacity of 1,235. So, already there are 260 unexplained seats available at PHS.

Now, it was explained to us at one point that the school capacity numbers were based on cafeteria and media center capacity. If that's indeed the case, PHS has a serious issue. According to the same Comprehensive Facility Study the PHS cafeteria does not meet NCDPI standards and with 3 lunches can only serve 639 students. That's an unexplained gap of 596 students.

Even the dumbest dummy can figure out that the numbers don't add up... yet, not once did anyone on the BOE ask a single question regarding capacity/enrollment and the blatant discrepancies in the numbers being presented to them. Parents did the homework, the BOE chose to ignore it.

If you buy into the myth of Webbmatics then I seriously doubt I will ever be able to show you "better numbers".

.
I'm not saying I'm buying their numbers. But even if you prove their numbers to be faulty, that doesn't necessarily mean the "accurate" numbers will show there wasn't a need to redistrict. At best you're probably just delaying the inevitable.
 
Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 PM
 
45,001 posts, read 17,891,137 times
Reputation: 18864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Nasty View Post
But Phils, that is a hugely flawed argument….you state you don't agree with their numbers, but its ok to proceed with moving 14% of the student population under the guise of "well its going to happen anyway, so may as well do it now"….C'mon, what kind of logic is that? ....
Logic?

Let's say you are successful and prove beyond the shadow of a doubt, unquestionably, that the methodology used by the BOE was flawed. Then "logic" begs this simple question of you.


So what?


What do you possibly hope to accomplish at this point by continuing to pursue this ad nauseam?
 
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM
 
5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Nasty View Post
But Phils, that is a hugely flawed argument….you state you don't agree with their numbers, but its ok to proceed with moving 14% of the student population under the guise of "well its going to happen anyway, so may as well do it now"….C'mon, what kind of logic is that? What if we go thru another downturn? McKibbens own numbers, the only documentation the BOE used, said after the "bubble" passes, the population of school kids may actually decrease….So i need a bit more hard data than "well get it out of the way, it will probably happen anyway" to just accept this blindly without questions
First&Ten, that's why I'm surprised that there didn't seem to be more data to actually support the anti-redistricting case. When the main argument was "let's just wait til next year" I'm not surprised the fight wasn't incredibly successful.
 
Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 AM
 
527 posts, read 637,573 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
First&Ten, that's why I'm surprised that there didn't seem to be more data to actually support the anti-redistricting case. When the main argument was "let's just wait til next year" I'm not surprised the fight wasn't incredibly successful.
I'm not sure I understand... you don't necessarily believe in the #'s presented by the administration, but you believe redistricting was necessary because parents against redistricting didn't present "more data"? Honestly, it's that kind of thinking that keeps UC in the mess that it's in.

No-one, including the administration, could complete a thorough analysis in the time frame given. However, if the BOE had presented their position as redistricting or nothing, there would have been more time spent on the numbers. But, we were bamboozled under the guise of "Options to Relieve Overcrowding". If the intent was truly to evaluate options then it made sense to wait a year. Parents and the BOE could have partnered to do some real studies rather than BOE members and Webb lying about MCRs, cafeterias, McKibben, safety, security, etc. Shame on the public for not recognizing earlier that the BOE had no intention of anything but shuffling kids.

.
 
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 AM
 
45,001 posts, read 17,891,137 times
Reputation: 18864
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
..... Shame on the public for not recognizing earlier that the BOE had no intention of anything but shuffling kids.

.
LOL. Odd response from one who has since claimed that he is quite pleased with how redistricting turned out. Do you include yourself in this county wide shame?

But this was easy to see by anyone who was paying attention and wasn't deluded by false assumptions. I called it several weeks before they made the decision to redistrict. So you are wrong on that account too.

This link.

02-20-2014, 04:37 AM

The school board's actions have been completely consistent with one that intends to enact the original districting plan presented some weeks ago. They may tweak it somewhat, but I don't see where they have any other choice at this point. It's getting too late in the year for any alternative to work by next fall.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 08-19-2014 at 06:58 AM..
 
Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 AM
 
56 posts, read 66,948 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post

Not that anyone cares, but this will be my last post and I'll leave you with this.

.
Couldnt help yourself Mikey?
 
Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 AM
 
24 posts, read 24,481 times
Reputation: 15
Webb, Hughes, and Collins and the 3
Running the show. The rest are nothing more than pawns in the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top