Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 05:26 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
...... Just because someone (or some group in this case) CAN or is allowed to do something, doesn't mean they SHOULD do it
Non Sequitor. They didn't redistrict because they "CAN". Anyone should see this.

They redistricted to address a problem because they had to. Whether you agree or not with their reasons is a different issue, but they did lay it out pretty clear why and what they planned to do. I am absolutely sure they didn't do it for fun and games as you suggest.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:31 PM

93 posts, read 127,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Non Sequitor. They didn't redistrict because they "CAN". Anyone should see this.

They redistricted to address a problem because they had to. Whether you agree or not with their reasons is a different issue, but they did lay it out pretty clear why and what they planned to do. I am absolutely sure they didn't do it for fun and games as you suggest.
Lets not exaggerate, i never claimed it was for fun and games. I also have a hard time believing a board could be this incompetent to move almost 6000 kids based on an overcrowding of roughly 300….Now, if you want to debate ulterior motives of why they decided to move this many kids, lets have at it.

Last edited by FIRST & TEN; 07-21-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 PM

36 posts, read 53,570 times
Quote:
Lets not exaggerate, i never claimed it was for fun and games. I also have a hard time believing a board could be this incompetent to move almost 6000 kids based on an overcrowding of roughly 300….Now, if you want to debate ulterior motives of why they decided to move this many kids, lets have at it.
May be i am not as informative as you are but for sake of my knowledge can you point out an official document that BOE used that shows overcrowding is limited to only 300 students for next 2-3 years ? or at least next year. We can go on to the debate of their motives and conspiracy theory based on your other secret documents later on.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 PM

36 posts, read 53,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcostello View Post
I really don't give a damn what the judge thinks, feels, or decides.....
so now all of a sudden you don't give a damn what judge thinks because his thinking does not fall in line with yours. don't worry, you are not minority.we had glimpse of such people during BOE meetings.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM

93 posts, read 127,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhaw14 View Post
May be i am not as informative as you are but for sake of my knowledge can you point out an official document that BOE used that shows overcrowding is limited to only 300 students for next 2-3 years ? or at least next year. We can go on to the debate of their motives and conspiracy theory based on your other secret documents later on.

Again, no conspiracy theory as you like to seem to imply….did you actually sit down and read the McKibben report? By the Boards own admission, that was the only document they admitted to using when formulating this plan….Are you going to claim that the BOE had a overcrowding issue of 5800 students?

Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 AM

Quote:
You gave us an associative logical fallacy in an attempt to discredit the decision. I just took it a step further with a little logic which causes all fallacies to fall apart. "Ulterior motives" and other conspiracy theories is what one brings to an argument when they can't otherwise logically defend their position. I don't think an group of independently elected officials as diverse as the BOE is capable of maintaining a secret agenda. I have no interest in debating this.

But no matter. Continuing to fret, cry, and get angry over why they made the decision is now pointless. It's done, it's over, and it's moving forward. This topic is about the attempt to overturn the decision via the court system and the dubious legal strategy being used.

if they prevail in court, then they will be vindicated and a lot of people will eat some crow. If they lose, then I suspect this still won't be good enough. Some will be miserable they were not able to "control" events and will continue to make pointless arguments about X # being moved because of Y #. I think they ought to move on and get on with their lives.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:12 AM

527 posts, read 744,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm confused now. I thought at one point CAPS was arguing that the redistricting was a social experiment of integration? Now they're arguing it's segregation?
I'm shocked that supporters of the BOE can be so easily confused... were you not confused by any of the following?

MCRs - We can do it.... oh wait, no we can't

MCRs - they are very dangerous.... although they weren't in the past when we loaded up Wingate elementary school

Siblings - They can use the transfer/appeal process... oh wait, no they can't

Yercheck - We met and typed up the motion and amendments.... oh wait, that's a violation of open meeting laws, we really didn't do that

Capacity - Watch and cap levels are calculations that just happen to round perfectly and are the exact same across the school system

Capacity - It makes perfect sense that one school has a watch level of 150% and another school has a watch level of 115%

Cost - Redistricting is free.... of course, no extra charge for all that fuel, maintenance, etc.

I could go on and on but you get the point. Support redistricting if you think it's the right thing to do, but to call out CAPS and let the BOE slide by is more than a little disingenuous.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 AM

93 posts, read 184,754 times
Mike,
I don't think any logical person can say the BOE did the right thing by UC families As a fellow redistricted family, CAPS has sincerely turned me off to their cause and I know I'm not alone amongst those being redistricted. CAPS fight is with the BOE, not a private citizen whom is looking out for his/her family. Completely classless!

I can see the writing on the wall. The judge's statements from Tuesday afternoon made it clear that CAPS suit doesn't hold much water. The BoCC election and subsequent runoff proved that the three CAPS supported candidates didn't have the best interest of the entire county at heart. I am bitter enough that I did vote and will continue to vote against any CAPS supported candidate(s) for BoCC or BOE elections solely on principle.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 AM

549 posts, read 680,104 times
Anyone know when the judge is going to rule on this?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post

I could go on and on but you get the point. Support redistricting if you think it's the right thing to do, but to call out CAPS and let the BOE slide by is more than a little disingenuous.
The two are not equivalent.

I can guarantee you that 100% of the people will find something they don't like about the public school system. The BOE has to contend with the interests of ALL the people, local politicians, and and ever intruding and over reaching federal government. It's the nature of any public institution.

CAPS on the other hand, has decided to sue the school system for the purpose of protecting their property values. This was admitted by them in front of the judge. Since it will be the taxpayer who will pay for this if they win their claims, then the public deserves to hold them to account for what they are doing. I see nothing disingenious about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte