Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 AM

547 posts, read 773,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Pearl Jam has cancelled their concert due to this law as well. NC is losing money left and right. What gives??
How are they losing money? Where did it go? Was NC sponsoring this concert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:22 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Taxes on concession sales, hotels/food/travel for people from out of town, tax on the rental of the venue, and the list goes on, but you know it's okay because we have "safe" bathrooms and a mandated minimum wage right? You don't even live in NC so no sweat off your back right?

Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
And who will be in charge of determining who by looks qualifies for which room. .
Those who use the facility. Not many look at people in restrooms, so anyone noticed would be an obvious no no. I'm sure there are some who would be noticed in bright sunlight, yet might be fine, if quiet, as most users tend to be. Having an obvious make voice would be unnerving, which can be remedied by not speaking.

I have no issue with gay women using the same restroom, such an objection would be small minded.

For me, the more important standard would be the right for a mannish looking women being able to use the ladies room unencumbered.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:30 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The bigger point is that I'm certain adult trans folks have being changing in the locker rooms and using the bathrooms of the sex they identify as, regardless, for years. So, again, I'm suspecting this is a complete non-issue.
I totally agree.

Which makes me wonder why City council made this an issue in the first place?

I applaud the City's desire to see that all citizens are treated equally.

Yet the notion that my Wife is being deprived of choices, is what really ticked me off.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I totally agree.

Yet the notion that my Wife is being deprived of choices, is what really ticked me off.

Again, the CCC's actions is a whole different discussion. Not to mention it is almost completely divorced from what actually ended up in HB2.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:38 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I totally agree.

I think it was part of the bill, but I think it had more to do with adding a sexual identification/orientation clause to the discrimination side of things.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:41 AM

294 posts, read 232,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Those who use the facility. Not many look at people in restrooms, so anyone noticed would be an obvious no no. I'm sure there are some who would be noticed in bright sunlight, yet might be fine, if quiet, as most users tend to be. Having an obvious make voice would be unnerving, which can be remedied by not speaking.

I have no issue with gay women using the same restroom, such an objection would be small minded.

For me, the more important standard would be the right for a mannish looking women being able to use the ladies room unencumbered.

And you really think that mannish looking woman you so afraid of will say......Damn that HB2 now I can't go in there.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:50 AM

294 posts, read 232,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post

Lets see........a sold out concert of maybe 15,000 tickets sold. average price maybe $60. State might get 4% of that...... one concert one loss of $36,000. all averages but conservative numbers. multiply that by 25 plus concerts and performances of all sizes and it is conservatively over half a million dollars the state did not get. But hey lets go ahead and fly the Gov and his people to NY to be on Meet the Press so they can make fools of themselves.........wonder what that cost the state. Get it now?????

Old 04-19-2016, 11:04 AM

547 posts, read 773,930 times
Quote:
Lets see........a sold out concert of maybe 15,000 tickets sold. average price maybe $60. State might get 4% of that...... one concert one loss of $36,000. all averages but conservative numbers. multiply that by 25 plus concerts and performances of all sizes and it is conservatively over half a million dollars the state did not get. But hey lets go ahead and fly the Gov and his people to NY to be on Meet the Press so they can make fools of themselves.........wonder what that cost the state. Get it now?????
So the people that would have bought tickets to these concerts will never spend that money on something else (food, beer, clothes etc)? For your economic theory to work, that would have to be your assumption.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:05 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
That might be a little low for average price. 18th row tickets in Colombia are going for almost 450 a pop.

Don't forget to factor in other expenses too. Hotels. Income tax for band. Restaurants, gas stations, etc... That one concert is a lot more than tax on ticket sales. And more important than the state, what about the PEOPLE? The guy who owns the nearby hotel or restaurant. The part-time working mother who lost a shift at the restaurant? The economic fall out is real, no matter how much the anti-LGBT folks "don't care"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte