Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 PM

182 posts, read 554,444 times

Advertisements

My husband & I have decided to post-pone our move to Charlotte, until early next year. Well it is really me who is the resistant one. Finding this site was a blessing & a curse. The blessing was I learned that Charlotte had more to offer than I initially knew. The curse, I have been scared senseless.

The wool has been pulled from over my eyes. Charlotte is not the paradise I was wishing for. I know it was niave of me to think a city was the answer to blissfull suburan life. Coming from a city of 100,000 to a city with more than 600,000 people had to be a change. I guess what really put the nail in the coffin was the tales of random crime.

So I guess have to sit back and make a decision of what I really want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,600 times
Wondering if you had ever been to Charlotte?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 PM

305 posts, read 1,809,352 times
We're moving to NC next year also.

For me, it was reading about all the humidity. Yuck.

Now we're going to search for other places. And with less crime.

Good luck on your search!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
There's random crime in every city in this country. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
My husband & I have decided to post-pone our move to Charlotte, until early next year. Well it is really me who is the resistant one. Finding this site was a blessing & a curse. The blessing was I learned that Charlotte had more to offer than I initially knew. The curse, I have been scared senseless.

The wool has been pulled from over my eyes. Charlotte is not the paradise I was wishing for. I know it was niave of me to think a city was the answer to blissfull suburan life. Coming from a city of 100,000 to a city with more than 600,000 people had to be a change. I guess what really put the nail in the coffin was the tales of random crime.

Well. Just shocked you would let some info about crime affect you this way! For the record, I have been here over five years now . . . and no one I know - and certainly my family - have never been a victim of any sort of crime at all. No one in my neighborhood, either.

Just for the record.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:45 PM

104 posts, read 339,082 times
There's nothing wrong with listening to your gut/intuition. I don't regret living in NC but it wasn't for us so we moved on. Maybe you could try the city quiz on Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!to see if any other cities pop into your list that you've never thought of. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:47 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post

Sorry you feel that way. Some people on here are bitter and love to exaggerate about things (such as crime). Charlotte is a great city that has a lot going for it. I have never felt unsafe here, but that doesn't mean I let my guard down either (same goes for anywhere else).

I am assuming you are from West Palm Beach? You do know that Palm Beach County as a whole has more people than Mecklenburg (although it will eventually catch up according to projections)? Since Charlotte has annexed so much of Mecklenburg County, its population figures can be a little deceiving.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Wondering if you had ever been to Charlotte?
Yes I have been about 5 times, and I love the city, it's very different for us, but I love the city (Steele Creek was my dream area until....) We were scheluded to move in June. But I am having mixed feeling right now. The crime, the taxes & the unemployment rate is scaring me. I live in West Palm Beach, FL now, and face those same issues here, but at least I already have a job.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 PM

93 posts, read 300,077 times
We also had a change of heart-in part due to this forum. It's not just the crime, the humidity or the water restrictions-it's just not a match for our family. Life is not always greener on the other side for some.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Sorry you feel that way. Some people on here are bitter and love to exaggerate about things (such as crime). Charlotte is a great city that has a lot going for it. I have never felt unsafe here, but that doesn't mean I let my guard down either (same goes for anywhere else).

I am assuming you are from West Palm Beach? You do know that Palm Beach County as a whole has more people than Mecklenburg (although it will eventually catch up according to projections)? Since Charlotte has annexed so much of Mecklenburg County, its population figures can be a little deceiving.
Yes I am , am believe me I am so ready to move from here. But yes the people have really turned me off. If I never have seen the city for myself, I would be scared to go through CHarlotte, according to SOME people's post. Not all, so I won;t be unfair and state that. I will be visiting again in May, so now that I know more information about the city I can visit certain areas at different times of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte