Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Howdeeeeeeee, everyone!!!

Well, sad story about my beloved Mac. Got dropped. No, I didn't drop it but I won't get into all that (blame) - let's just say - it was an accident and that's that.

So I am working w/ a crippled Mac that the Apple store says will cost a minimum of $1200 to fix. So I am doing a workaround and we will see how that goes.

Went down to Florida for a few days . . . beautiful weather in Orlando . . . kids went to Sea World - had a blast. Took pix.

So what is this about a get together at Ri Ra? I tried to read back thru/ things . . . whassup gang?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 AM

Where is everyone . . . I feel like I killed the thread.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:53 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Well, sad story about my beloved Mac. Got dropped. No, I didn't drop it but I won't get into all that (blame) - let's just say - it was an accident and that's that.

So I am working w/ a crippled Mac that the Apple store says will cost a minimum of $1200 to fix. So I am doing a workaround and we will see how that goes.

Went down to Florida for a few days . . . beautiful weather in Orlando . . . kids went to Sea World - had a blast. Took pix.

So what is this about a get together at Ri Ra? I tried to read back thru/ things . . . whassup gang?
Hey Ani!! Must be the season - my laptop suffered a terminal injury just before Christmas too!! Wondered where'd you been!

Anyway, it's the 2009 (first??) Charlotte City Data get together tomorrow evening at RiRa - 5:30 pm. I believe so far it's Johne482 and business associate, ChicagoCubs, Hooligan and wife and myself.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
Hey Ani, I just got my computer back last night. My husbands IT guy from work fixed it. Sorry to hear about your computer, mine didn't cost that much to fix.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:36 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

As Rosanne Rosannadana says "it's always something"! If I was looking at a $1200 repair bill for a Mac, I'd seriously give some thought to a replacement and an external hard drive case to transfer all the old stuff on the hard drive to a new machine, unless.... it's one of those models with the big screen that seems to cost as much as a new Toyota Corolla. First you cry!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
As Rosanne Rosannadana says "it's always something"! If I was looking at a $1200 repair bill for a Mac, I'd seriously give some thought to a replacement and an external hard drive case to transfer all the old stuff on the hard drive to a new machine, unless.... it's one of those models with the big screen that seems to cost as much as a new Toyota Corolla. First you cry!
I cried. I literally burst into tears. Well, I have the top of the line Mac w/ all bells and whistles . . . it isn't new but then . . . I had expected to amortize it over three years, ya know? When the Apple guys said $1200 . . . I took it back to the hotel room, got out my eye glasses repair kit and start whittling away at the smash corner of the metal wh/ was keeping my power cord from attaching. Em, you would be proud, LOL. I finally got the metal shaved enuff to barely attach the cord (wh/ is magnetic on a Mac, thank god, b/c it is HANGING and not securely seated at all). Anyway, I was very very lucky as no big internal damage (it appears at this point). But it messed up the case - can't close it well, etc. And shattered a corner . . . I added a plasma screen to mine wh/ ran up the cost of the laptop considerably and they said they would have to replace the whole body - including that expensive screen - so that is why it was so damn costly to repair.

However, I am set up at home w/ a nice monitor on my desk, so . . . I am fine in my office, even tho I don't think my Mac is ever gonna work very well for business calls again . . . we will see. I am sick about it and the whole family was sick about it, wh/ is why I decided to not start w/ the recriminations (who moved my mac when packing???) I just decided to move on b/c son was mortified, his fiancee burst into tears, and DH looked like he was going to be sick - b/c he was in charge of packing. Son and fiancee both own Macs and know how attached I am to mind (been working on Macs for over 20 years) and I had saved up the $$$ for months to go all the way w/ a very highly customized laptop . . .

I didn't want this to ruin our vacation . . . I am sooo grateful mother board seems intact as do opticals . . . think there was damage to my sound system, so we will see . . . It could have been so much worse.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Hey Ani!! Must be the season - my laptop suffered a terminal injury just before Christmas too!! Wondered where'd you been!

Anyway, it's the 2009 (first??) Charlotte City Data get together tomorrow evening at RiRa - 5:30 pm. I believe so far it's Johne482 and business associate, ChicagoCubs, Hooligan and wife and myself.
Hey Elle!!!! I would really like to come . . . but not sure b/c I am working on year end taxes (yuck) . . . LOVE Ri Ra!!!

BTW - for anyone interested - got an email saying Ri Ra is running a special burger this month - I belong to their Pub Club - here is info:

Enjoy the Ri Ra Pub Burger for $6 in January!

Premium grilled to order 8oz all American beef burger,
cheddar cheese, thick sliced tomato & onion and crisp
green lettuce, served on a freshly toasted bun.

Add fries or a side salad for $1.50

Available 3PM - 9PM Sunday-Thursday Not valid with any other offer.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Hey Ani, I just got my computer back last night. My husbands IT guy from work fixed it. Sorry to hear about your computer, mine didn't cost that much to fix.
So glad you are up and running! It feels soooo odd when one is no longer "connected!!!!"

Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Ani-Uncle Sam can wait for his money...he's only going to give it away anyway. What's a party w/o Ani?

john

Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Aww this is a true story how we can all put our differences aside
The Animal Odd Couple Video - CBSNews.com
Sunny, this is completely unrelated to your post, but I LOVE the status messages that you come up with!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte