Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 04:40 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times

Advertisements

You know, I give up. I try to answer topics in the other forums as politely and honestly as I can:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7639267-post16.html

and then have to read all of the idiotic responses from people trashing Charlotte/NC who don't even live here.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
mornin' all...day ?? of this crud....slept practically 24 hours...and still feel bad.

RUN AWAY from anyone that says that they have the flu...

Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Lutherans don't get ashes on their heads....at least not where I grew up...
Maybe they were not ELCA. My father is a Lutheran minister. Trust me, I know Lutherans, LOL!!! And on top of that . . . Hubby studied for the priesthood! I am surrounded by theologians.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
mornin' all...day ?? of this crud....slept practically 24 hours...and still feel bad.

RUN AWAY from anyone that says that they have the flu...
I am so sorry to hear you are sick!!! DH has had bronchitis - had to go to doc. Running a fever, but no sinus problems. So his is definitely not the flu. I pray we don't get it.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am so sorry to hear you are sick!!! DH has had bronchitis - had to go to doc. Running a fever, but no sinus problems. So his is definitely not the flu. I pray we don't get it.

Hope you start feeling better soon.
thanks. going to the dr this afternoon. fairly certain it is the flu, but, need that paper saying it for work...

Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Maybe they were not ELCA. My father is a Lutheran minister. Trust me, I know Lutherans, LOL!!! And on top of that . . . Hubby studied for the priesthood! I am surrounded by theologians.
nah, I think that we were reformed Lutherans...not sure...but, I do know that they were so paranoid about being lumped with Catholics that they did not do ANYTHING that the Catholics did...

Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
nah, I think that we were reformed Lutherans...not sure...but, I do know that they were so paranoid about being lumped with Catholics that they did not do ANYTHING that the Catholics did...
That is an attitude that was very prevalent in the Lutheran church (all branches) to some degree until the last 50 years or so. Our branch has finally recognized that Luther himself did not advocate throwing out the rituals of the Mother Church. Things went wacko during the century following the Reformation. I am probably the only Lutheran you know who crosses herself, prays the Rosary and lights candles to the Blessed Virgin, yet Luther himself advocated those worship tools. Most Lutherans are not aware of this and would argue that I am wrong. The Lutheran church has made a lot of progress in replacing the things that got lost after the initial Reformation movement but Lutherans still argue w/ me when I tell them that there are hardly any differences at all - theologically - b/n what Catholics and Lutherans profess. Yet, that is a fact. Of course, I am speaking of the ELCA. Missouri and Wisconsin Lutherans would say I am a heretic, Hee Hee. They really get upset when I try to explain that Lutherans are Reformed Catholics, and not actually Protestants.

And we wonder why we can't all get along on this planet. Even different branches of the same church can't see eye to eye!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
That is an attitude that was very prevalent in the Lutheran church (all branches) to some degree until the last 50 years or so. Our branch has finally recognized that Luther himself did not advocate throwing out the rituals of the Mother Church. Things went wacko during the century following the Reformation. I am probably the only Lutheran you know who crosses herself, prays the Rosary and lights candles to the Blessed Virgin, yet Luther himself advocated those worship tools. Most Lutherans are not aware of this and would argue that I am wrong. The Lutheran church has made a lot of progress in replacing the things that got lost after the initial Reformation movement but Lutherans still argue w/ me when I tell them that there are hardly any differences at all - theologically - b/n what Catholics and Lutherans profess. Yet, that is a fact. Of course, I am speaking of the ELCA. Missouri and Wisconsin Lutherans would say I am a heretic, Hee Hee. They really get upset when I try to explain that Lutherans are Reformed Catholics, and not actually Protestants.

And we wonder why we can't all get along on this planet. Even different branches of the same church can't see eye to eye!!!
Yeah, well because I could not find a "proper" Lutheran church here..., I became "NON DENOMINATIONAL". That way, I have no argument with any other "branch of my denomination"

Old 02-27-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, well because I could not find a "proper" Lutheran church here..., I became "NON DENOMINATIONAL". That way, I have no argument with any other "branch of my denomination"
It is really nutty, isn't it? My thing is - anyone interested in attending church should find a spot where they are comfortable, cause all the subtle theological differences really amount to a hill of beans in the big picture!!! I prefer a liturgical church (I would - being an organist) and I am just so glad there are many different types of churches so anyone who desires to attend can find whatever he/she wants. I think a LOT of people have gone to non-denominational churches b/c they wanted the fellowship and got tired of all the quibbling over small theological differences in various churches.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,060 times
I always thought that Lutheran was Catholic "lite" anyhow LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte