Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte: infrastructure, college, graduate, racism information, education.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Really? What are your reasons? serious inquiry

Differing cultures being one. The same reason why my friend would prefer to live in a predominantly Asian community, the way I'm sure many blacks would want to live in a predominantly black community.

Then you take a look at predominantly black neighborhoods and for the most part they tend to be neither clean nor safe. You'd need to look no further than page 2 of this study:

http://www.colorofcrime.com/colorofcrime2005.pdf

And a great look at the issue here dated September of '05 (not that long ago: High Murder Rates in Cities with Large Black Populations by Walter Williams -- Capitalism Magazine

Quote:
Last year, among the nation's 10 largest cities, Philadelphia had the highest murder rate with 406 victims. This year could easily top last year's with 240 murders so far.

Other cities such as Baltimore, Detroit and Washington, D.C., with large black populations, experience the nation's highest rates of murder and violent crime. This high murder rate is, and has been, predominantly a black problem.

According to Bureau of Justice statistics, between 1976 and 2005, blacks, while 13 percent of the population, committed over 52 percent of the nation's homicides and were 46 percent of the homicide victims. Ninety-four percent of black homicide victims had a black person as their murderer.

Blacks are not only the major victims of homicide; blacks suffer high rates of all categories of serious violent crime, and another black is most often the perpetrator.
Look at some predominantly black neighborhoods in New Jersey...Newark, Irvington, Camden. Newark's been a bit on the rise lately but if you drive through the heart of town you'll see signs outside of people's homes warning trespassers to stay out. In Irvington, the FBI was brought in a couple of years ago in some attempt to curtail the violence. Lately they've been shooting at the cops, not exactly suggesting a decrease in crime.

Camden...I really don't need to go any further. If some friends of mine and I were driving separate cars to Camden for a concert, we would literally have a plan if we had to separate due to a possible confrontation while being stopped at a red light. That's no joke. It's no wonder Camden won "Most Dangerous City" however many years in a row.

I'd be willing to bet that if race and money were no longer issues, people would still segregate themselves from one another. So maybe it's not a variety of issues but a couple of them, one being a pretty huge deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No offense, but he seemed to explain it pretty well already. He said some people want to live "in a community that reflect their culture" and he can relate to that. It does make sense to me too. For instance, if you are a Jew and wish to have neighbors that also celebrate the kind of holidays and holy days you do, that no one else does, I could see trying to find an area concentrated with other Jewish families. It's meant as no slur against anyone of another faith, just an attempt to live entrenched in the parts of your culture that you value.

Yes, thank you. You definitely got it (I wish I had a spare rep point for ya).

People are going to migrate to a certain group of people that they're most familiar with. There's no hate involved, more like human nature. There are a few Indian communities in New Jersey, Iselin being the first that jumps to mind, and they've migrated to that one spot. Which is cool. There's no hate there, just a bunch of culturally like minded people living together. They're probably experiencing more harmony now than if they were forced to integrate themselves into a more diverse community.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:09 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
i don't get what you're saying? are you saying that it is a cultural thing that the predominatly Black neighborhoods you know have crime problems? I'm not from the east coast so I don't know the areas you mention.

IF that's what you are saying, I'm shocked that you don't find it offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Differing cultures being one. The same reason why my friend would prefer to live in a predominantly Asian community, the way I'm sure many blacks would want to live in a predominantly black community.

Then you take a look at predominantly black neighborhoods and for the most part they tend to be neither clean nor safe. You'd need to look no further than page 2 of this study:

http://www.colorofcrime.com/colorofcrime2005.pdf

And a great look at the issue here dated September of '05 (not that long ago: High Murder Rates in Cities with Large Black Populations by Walter Williams -- Capitalism Magazine

Look at some predominantly black neighborhoods in New Jersey...Newark, Irvington, Camden. Newark's been a bit on the rise lately but if you drive through the heart of town you'll see signs outside of people's homes warning trespassers to stay out. In Irvington, the FBI was brought in a couple of years ago in some attempt to curtail the violence. Lately they've been shooting at the cops, not exactly suggesting a decrease in crime.

Camden...I really don't need to go any further. If some friends of mine and I were driving separate cars to Camden for a concert, we would literally have a plan if we had to separate due to a possible confrontation while being stopped at a red light. That's no joke. It's no wonder Camden won "Most Dangerous City" however many years in a row.

I'd be willing to bet that if race and money were no longer issues, people would still segregate themselves from one another. So maybe it's not a variety of issues but a couple of them, one being a pretty huge deal breaker.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:12 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
no offense, but he clarified his response just fine. i think you and the pp are referring to differing ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No offense, but he seemed to explain it pretty well already. He said some people want to live "in a community that reflect their culture" and he can relate to that. It does make sense to me too. For instance, if you are a Jew and wish to have neighbors that also celebrate the kind of holidays and holy days you do, that no one else does, I could see trying to find an area concentrated with other Jewish families. It's meant as no slur against anyone of another faith, just an attempt to live entrenched in the parts of your culture that you value.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
i don't get what you're saying? are you saying that it is a cultural thing that the predominatly Black neighborhoods you know have crime problems? I'm not from the east coast so I don't know the areas you mention.

I'm shocked you can't even comprehend a simple post. Not to mention I don't care in the slightest what you find or don't find offensive.

I mentioned two separate things. I used the words "being one" for culture, started an entirely separate paragraph for the crime portion. Even in the final paragraph I used the words "a couple of them".. I mentioned two things: Culture and crime. Even if crime were to be out of the equation it still goes back to culture. Two different things.

Of course I could easily shoot that back at you, that YOU were the one willing to link the two together, I didn't. See how that wordplay works?

See, here's a shining example of the problem with the discourse on this particular subject: Too many people are willing to err on the side of caution because they're never given the full benefit of the doubt. I say two distinctly different things, not once saying, "I just don't like black people", and instead of being given the full benefit of the doubt, you're gearing up to jump the gun on me in case my answer isn't to your liking. People aren't allowed to speak freely lest they be branded a "racist".

And people wonder why we'll never be a fully integrated society....

Old 12-29-2008, 03:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:

Well, I am shocked that you are offended. Why would you find it offensive that there is more crime, per capita, in black neighborhoods than in white neighborhoods?

I mean, I find it offensive from the standpoint of how I feel about the people who are trying to live their lives in those neighborhoods, yet get caught in the line of fire b/c of some fools who make life difficult for others around them. But I don't live there and neither do you - so why would your sensibilities be offended? You are offended b/c Brian pointed out the stats on crime in black neighborhoods?

There are whole studies done on this subject. Google it - seek and ye shall find. Also, check out the crime maps for Charlotte and see where the majority of crimes take place.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:56 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
It is what it is! Probably will never change. Kids need 2 parents and rules & discipline & structure whether they are black, white, purple or yellow.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'm shocked you can't even comprehend a simple post. Not to mention I don't care in the slightest what you find or don't find offensive.

I mentioned two separate things. I used the words "being one" for culture, started an entirely separate paragraph for the crime portion. Even in the final paragraph I used the words "a couple of them".. I mentioned two things: Culture and crime. Even if crime were to be out of the equation it still goes back to culture. Two different things.

Of course I could easily shoot that back at you, that YOU were the one willing to link the two together, I didn't. See how that wordplay works?

See, here's a shining example of the problem with the discourse on this particular subject: Too many people are willing to err on the side of caution because they're never given the full benefit of the doubt. I say two distinctly different things, not once saying, "I just don't like black people", and instead of being given the full benefit of the doubt, you're gearing up to jump the gun on me in case my answer isn't to your liking. People aren't allowed to speak freely lest they be branded a "racist".

And people wonder why we'll never be a fully integrated society....

Brian, your first point of living where you want isn't the issue. Your second point which involves extrapolation of some of the worst places in NJ and PA as examples of the average black community (i.e. Camden, Philly, Trenton) and then superimposing that extrapolation as examples of the average black community is just plain wrong. There are many communities all over the country the represent the full gamut of the economic spectrum, urban, poor, middle class, and very affluent- only Philly, Camden, urban DC for example gets promoted as the model black community, and these are the images that people latch on to.

I don't need to look at a report to know what my own eyes can see. There's no problem with an open and honest discourse but we've got to assume that our own limited experience (self included) isn't the end all and be all of what there is.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Crime takes place more often in economically depressed areas. Plain and simple. Blacks are not only the victims of homicides more often than whites, but they commit more homicides than whites. That is b/c a lot of the crimes involve drugs right in their own neighborhoods.

Now, if any of you all want to get offended at that statement . . . write a letter to the Department of Justice, cause that is off THEIR website. (Mike - not referring to you!!!)

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Trends by race (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm - broken link)

Old 12-29-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Crime takes place more often in economically depressed areas. Plain and simple. Blacks are not only the victims of homicides more often than whites, but they commit more homicides than whites. That is b/c a lot of the crimes involve drugs right in their own neighborhoods.

Now, if any of you all want to get offended at that statement . . . write a letter to the Department of Justice, cause that is off THEIR website. (Mike - not referring to you!!!)

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Trends by race (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm - broken link)

Now why couldn't I find that type of a link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte