Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 02:56 PM

355 posts, read 992,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
When you go to the ATM at night, who do you look over your shoulder for? The media?

I think the blame lies elsewhere.

(Adapted from Chris Rock.)
LOOK I KNOW THERE IS CRIME BUT IT ALL ABOUT WHERE YOU GO AND USE SOME STREET SMARTS. YOU ALWAYS HEAR ABOUT THE NEGATIVES AND NOT THE POSITIVES OF CHARLOTTE AND THE MEDIA IS TO BLAME ON SOME OF THIS IF IT BLEED IT LEADS. WHEN USING THE ATMS GO TO WELL LIT ONE IN BETTER AREAS. THAT LESSON NUMBER 1 AND IT DIDN'T COST A PENNY. THE ODDS ARE LESS GREATER IF YOU GO TO AREAS WITH LESS CRIME AND OF COURSE THERE CRIME BUT SOMETIMES IT START WITH YOU ALSO.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:35 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
LOOK I KNOW THERE IS CRIME BUT IT ALL ABOUT WHERE YOU GO AND USE SOME STREET SMARTS. YOU ALWAYS HEAR ABOUT THE NEGATIVES AND NOT THE POSITIVES OF CHARLOTTE AND THE MEDIA IS TO BLAME ON SOME OF THIS IF IT BLEED IT LEADS. WHEN USING THE ATMS GO TO WELL LIT ONE IN BETTER AREAS. THAT LESSON NUMBER 1 AND IT DIDN'T COST A PENNY. THE ODDS ARE LESS GREATER IF YOU GO TO AREAS WITH LESS CRIME AND OF COURSE THERE CRIME BUT SOMETIMES IT START WITH YOU ALSO.
Well thanks for clearing that up.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:29 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
Why are you shouting?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:49 PM

355 posts, read 992,469 times
sorry to shout but sometime we have to look at the whole picture and it like a movie everyone have there part and the media play there. i just wanted to explain that to amploud.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 AM

33 posts, read 31,170 times
You dont want to live in an area with crime? Well, not sure where you will find that; definitely not in a metropolitan area like CLT. Just be realistic when it comes to crime. Show me a 'major' city that doesnt have crime! Yes, I would say most crime is not random!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:53 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKITNC View Post
Yes, I would say most crime is not random!
Great, show me the data.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Great, show me the data.
Moderator cut: off topic

The answer to the crime question is not as simple as numbers would lead some people to believe. This is not an issue that "data" can fully describe or explain. You obviously put a lot of faith in numbers and data - some of us need more than that, or just take a different interpretation of that data. I say we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-12-2007 at 06:30 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 AM

33 posts, read 31,170 times
I am not naive enough to believe all the numbers I see. I think data is skewed and biased. I do know that a percentage of crime occurs to people who are known to the assailant. Fine, all victims of crime are innocent bystanders! Why do people act like CLT is becoming a Baltimore or Camden?
Quote:
Great, show me the data.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:46 AM

26 posts, read 95,228 times
Default How'd it work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffinnz View Post
Hi All. New here. Thinking about moving to Charlotte from the DC area. I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth about all that are worried about the crime in Charlotte. IMO, No, you cannot compare the crime in Charlotte with the crime in places like NYC, LA or DC. Of course not. But.....I think one of the reasons people are relocating from these areas is to get away from heavy crime. So, most are looking for a nice, quiet city with a low crime rate. From what I have been reading, it doesn't seem to have a low crime rate. So what' s the point of leaving a city like DC (or NYC, LA, ect.) with a much higher pay scale (and more job opportunities) and moving somewhere like Charlotte if I am going to have to deal with tons of senseless crime anyway???
Hi: Am considering the same move you made (DC to Charlotte) with my family (H&W&2 kids (13 & 11), plus dog). How has it worked out for you? Any info/suggestions, etc. appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Crime is definately increasing in Charlotte. As any city grows rapidly, so will crime. You can't live in fear. Charlotte has alot of crime compared to other NC cities. Raleigh has had maybe 19-21 murders this year. Charlotte is approaching 80. It is what it is. We just have to go about life a little more careful now a days. In any larger city especially!

Happy NEW YEAR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte