Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 10:26 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times

Advertisements

My opinion about the crime in Charlotte is that it is out of control. You cannot compare Huntersville to other parts of Charlotte, it is totally different there. Look at the crime stats and see for yourself: http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cfs/Default.aspx (broken link)

I have only lived here a year and compared to FL and the areas you described, it is much worse here. We used to live in that area of FL and it doesn't even compare. The difference here is crime is everywhere, in the burbs, EVERYWHERE. There are bad areas surrounding us even though we live in an upscale neighborhood. People come here b/c they are trasferred here, for example Charlotte is a big banking city. Bofa and Wachovia are the big banks uptown.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
My opinion about the crime in Charlotte is that it is out of control. You cannot compare Huntersville to other parts of Charlotte, it is totally different there. Look at the crime stats and see for yourself: http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cfs/Default.aspx (broken link)

I have only lived here a year and compared to FL and the areas you described, it is much worse here. We used to live in that area of FL and it doesn't even compare. The difference here is crime is everywhere, in the burbs, EVERYWHERE. There are bad areas surrounding us even though we live in an upscale neighborhood. People come here b/c they are trasferred here, for example Charlotte is a big banking city. Bofa and Wachovia are the big banks uptown.
Would you be so kind as to tell us which development you live in?

Also, while many people do come here because they have been transferred with jobs, I believe a greater number come here on their own because they WANT to be here

Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Would you be so kind as to tell us which development you live in?

Also, while many people do come here because they have been transferred with jobs, I believe a greater number come here on their own because they WANT to be here
I don't think it is necessary to say what development I live in but I live in Southwest Charlotte, like I have said in the Steele Creek area in a brand new neighborhood which has already seen it's share of crime. If you want a price range we paid nearly $300k for our house which you would think would be enough to ensure you were in a safe neighborhood but apparently there are no boundaries in Charlotte.

BTW, yes Charlotte is beautiful. The trees, the weather it's all great. Too bad there are far more unattractive things that make it very undesirable to live here. Yes some people do just pick a dot on the map and move and those are the people that create the overcrowding situations and the drain on welfare, etc.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I actually feel safer here than 10 years ago and definitely before 1995.

Naive I was over this city and what is the best part to live in. I did that common newcomer mistake we see here and chose a place to live on price but unaware what sides of town was sketchy. Since 28k modem was popular and sites like this probably didnt exist (This site only 2 years old) I lived in Sunset Village Apartments near Mulberry Church Rd & Queen City Drive. I got a real good dose of what city metro life can be especially for someone coming from a city of 35k.

Only type of crime I witness was my roommate at the time shady friends. I can say I never witness a real crime I didn't drive at the time and bus number 8 would go through same very shady areas of Tuckaseegee and Berryhill Rd I was spit at from through the bus window but I knew the rules of safety walk tough and aware with hands clutched and keys ready in one hand.

I use to go shop and get my hair done at Freedom Mall but never felt unsafe.
During that time the news all they ever did was report on West Charlotte and I would go ooh I was just near there but the crime happen at night a time I tried to not roam that area. Now on the news west Charlotte is hardly ever mention go figure.

In 2002 my work truck broke down off Sugar Creek and 85 at night so I called my brother he about freaked at my location but I was never scared just very vigilant about my surroundings.

I think it really how well you know the city and when to not visit certain areas. As with any major metro or small city for that matters.
There is awesome shoe store I like to shop at off Freedom but I don't go there at night.
There is good food at this Drive In off Wilkerson but I pay attention to who lurking around there. I like eating at the Landmark Diner off Central close to Eastway but I know to be very vigilant in that area. I actually feel safer on Beatties Ford by I 85 than I do other areas of the city.

I have never witness a major crime and feel safer here than I did when I worked in Flint, MI or visited Rochester NY, Newark, NJ, South San Francisco, and Harlan, KY
People dont want crime but it happens and they adapt a better way of life or choose a locaition that it will not happen to them or cities like Detroit and Atlanta would be ghost towns. But these cities and this one still has working class to the wealthy still here.
They know what areas to avoid or precaution they need to make.
I don't live in fear I just live smart and vigilant. Anywhere will have crime.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I actually feel safer here than 10 years ago and definitely before 1995.

Naive I was over this city and what is the best part to live in. I did that common newcomer mistake we see here and chose a place to live on price but unaware what sides of town was sketchy. Since 28k modem was popular and sites like this probably didnt exist (This site only 2 years old) I lived in Sunset Village Apartments near Mulberry Church Rd & Queen City Drive. I got a real good dose of what city metro life can be especially for someone coming from a city of 35k.

Only type of crime I witness was my roommate at the time shady friends. I can say I never witness a real crime I didn't drive at the time and bus number 8 would go through same very shady areas of Tuckaseegee and Berryhill Rd I was spit at from through the bus window but I knew the rules of safety walk tough and aware with hands clutched and keys ready in one hand.

I use to go shop and get my hair done at Freedom Mall but never felt unsafe.
During that time the news all they ever did was report on West Charlotte and I would go ooh I was just near there but the crime happen at night a time I tried to not roam that area. Now on the news west Charlotte is hardly ever mention go figure.

In 2002 my work truck broke down off Sugar Creek and 85 at night so I called my brother he about freaked at my location but I was never scared just very vigilant about my surroundings.

I think it really how well you know the city and when to not visit certain areas. As with any major metro or small city for that matters.
There is awesome shoe store I like to shop at off Freedom but I don't go there at night.
There is good food at this Drive In off Wilkerson but I pay attention to who lurking around there. I like eating at the Landmark Diner off Central close to Eastway but I know to be very vigilant in that area. I actually feel safer on Beatties Ford by I 85 than I do other areas of the city.

I have never witness a major crime and feel safer here than I did when I worked in Flint, MI or visited Rochester NY, Newark, NJ, South San Francisco, and Harlan, KY
People dont want crime but it happens and they adapt a better way of life or choose a locaition that it will not happen to them or cities like Detroit and Atlanta would be ghost towns. But these cities and this one still has working class to the wealthy still here.
They know what areas to avoid or precaution they need to make.
I don't live in fear I just live smart and vigilant. Anywhere will have crime.
I don't live in fear I just am not willing to take dumb risks or go to a lot of the local stores past dark. I've lived near Newark, NJ, I've lived in FL and Dallas, TX and the differences between those cities and Charlotte is that they all had strong police departments that were ahead of the crime and DID not have a revolving door on their jails. Yes, Newark is rough, but the crime stayed in Newark it didn't leak it's way into the burbs like here.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is necessary to say what development I live in but I live in Southwest Charlotte, like I have said in the Steele Creek area in a brand new neighborhood which has already seen it's share of crime. If you want a price range we paid nearly $300k for our house which you would think would be enough to ensure you were in a safe neighborhood but apparently there are no boundaries in Charlotte.

BTW, yes Charlotte is beautiful. The trees, the weather it's all great. Too bad there are far more unattractive things that make it very undesirable to live here. Yes some people do just pick a dot on the map and move and those are the people that create the overcrowding situations and the drain on welfare, etc.
I can understand not wanting to share your neighborhood, how about which major road is closest? I have a reason for asking, but of course you do not have to share

I notice you have made a comment similar to another unhappy poster, that since you paid nearly $300,000 for your home you thought that was enough to "ensure your safety". The problem is, that is an assumption on your part, which may or may not actually be acurate I'm afraid.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
I don't live in fear I just am not willing to take dumb risks or go to a lot of the local stores past dark. I've lived near Newark, NJ, I've lived in FL and Dallas, TX and the differences between those cities and Charlotte is that they all had strong police departments that were ahead of the crime and DID not have a revolving door on their jails. Yes, Newark is rough, but the crime stayed in Newark it didn't leak it's way into the burbs like here.
If crime leads to the burbs then Huntersville would have a high crime rate

Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I can understand no wanting to share your neighborhood, how about your which major road is closet? I have a reason for asking, but of course you do not have to share

I notice you have made a comment similar to another unhappy poster, that since you paid nearly $300,000 for your home you thought that was enough to "ensure your safety". The problem is, that is an assumption on your part, which may or may not actually be acurate I'm afraid.
I am off of Shopton. It is not just this neighborhood. We rented for 6 months in Planters Walk and we hated it! There was sooooooo much crime there and some very interesting individuals. We heard nothing but great things from the neighborhood where we currently reside so we built there. For a while it was crime free and then it happened and we have had a lot of break-ins and theft and suspicious incidents. I have friends that live in all parts of Southwest Charlotte and they all have the same complaints about their developments.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I agree, especially for us women, we should not take dumb risks like shopping at WalMart at midnight or going to the ATM after dark. Not doing so doesn't make you "afraid", it makes you smart!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I am off of Shopton. It is not just this neighborhood. We rented for 6 months in Planters Walk and we hated it! There was sooooooo much crime there and some very interesting individuals. We heard nothing but great things from the neighborhood where we currently reside so we built there. For a while it was crime free and then it happened and we have had a lot of break-ins and theft and suspicious incidents. I have friends that live in all parts of Southwest Charlotte and they all have the same complaints about their developments.
Do you have a neighborhood watch formed in your area? Do you know who your community police officer is? (every area has one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte