Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:56 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcurious View Post
We have gone there 5 times already and we LOVED IT!!!! Reading some of the comments here I find that the majority who posted negative reviews are people who have NO CLUE as to what a Diner concept truly is.
Wake up people, your not back north, DITTOS to the owners!! You brought some of old with the new, In a town that has not seen what your vision is about.
I love reading comments as to what a Real Diner is supposed to be. To all of you I say stick to your franchise garbage food, you wouldn't know good food if it hit you in the face!
I am sure this place will be here for many years as the Landmark and will be a Landmark in the future.
Are you speaking of the Landmark Diner or the Big View Diner?

Old 05-10-2009, 08:14 AM

620 posts, read 2,119,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
UUUUHHHH...Landmark is here in Charlotte, on Central Ave & Kilborne...slightly more upscale than actually a diner, but, still great food at reasonable prices.
UUUUUUUHHHHH... this has nothing to do with the Landmark Diner in Charlotte. They just share the same name but they are completely different and they are not owned by the same people. It isn't a chain either - it's a local Atlanta thing.

Landmark in Atlanta is a group of greek owned diners that are exactly like the ones found in NY/NJ. I noticed people saying Big View isn't like a "real" diner (that doesn't mean the restaurant sucks by the way) and they have yet to find one here that reminds them of ones back home so that is why I said if you want a "real" NY/NJ diner experience you have to drive to Atlanta. All I'm doing is offering a solution to the problem.

I'm sure Big View is good, their menu has a large variety of food, and it will be nice to have another place to get breakfast all day. I'm not sure how much food you get, but the prices look reasonable to me.

Last edited by nyxmike; 05-10-2009 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
For those of you not happy with the Big View Diner, have you checked out Punchy's Diner on Concord Pkwy in Concord? It's not in a fancy building, it's not very fancy at all, but they have traditional diner food, 50s theme with old cars and oldies playing, etc. The menu is pretty large, but nothing too fancy and the prices aren't bad. I think they may host classic car nights there as well, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

The only problem I have with it is they're not open very late (9pm I think). Other than that, that is by FAR the closest thing I've found here to the Chicago-style diners I'm used to. And actually, it has most of the midwest diners I've been to beat as far as prices, service, & menu selection.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:37 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
I haven't tried it yet (Big View) but eager to see if its a diner or not...

Old 05-17-2009, 05:34 PM

175 posts, read 412,904 times
Well...we attempted to try it today around 4:00. We show up, there are a number of folks sitting along the seats in the front waiting for a table...looked like a couple larger parties. Anyway, we told them that we had four and they (the 7 girls dressed in black that seemed to have nothing to do) said it would be 45 minutes. Now, mind you we could clearly see at least 10 booths/tables (that is being conservative)empty and clean.

So...either they didn't have enough staff to wait the tables, or they just don't have a clue. in any case, they better get it together or they will be the Bad View Diner. Again...it was 4:00....not 7:00, so to expect me to wait 45 minutes? My first thought was why cant you get a few of these dolled up girls that I assume were "hostesses" and put them to work! Seriously, if one of them had to lift a menu I think they may have passed out from over working themselves!

Bad trip...went to Lorenzos instead. Should have went there to start with! Don't plan to try the Bad View again anytime soon.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:51 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Tried it for lunch last Thursday. Food was room temperature, plates were hot as hades. Fish was overcooked, turkey was dry and tasteless, dressing under turkey was very good. Owner/manager was apologetic about the room temperature food. He offered to bring another plate of food, but we were already eating and didn't want to wait again. No other offers forthcoming. Paid bill and left. Might try it again in six months, might not.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM

148 posts, read 468,084 times
Default Big View- our experience

Our party of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) arrived at about 5pm yesterday, Saturday. We were told one hour wait and decided to stay. We were seated in about 40 minutes. At times, we did notice tables and booths empty but in five or ten minutes they were full again, so looks can be deceptive if it seems they are making people wait when they have empty tables. Their timing was definitely off. We waited what seemed like too long for our server to come around, so we placed drink and dinner orders. I was just getting antsy wondering about the status of our drinks, when our food arrived! Our server showed up with our drinks a few minutes later and seemed surprised that the food had come first. My daughter had the ricotta ravioli which had generous wild mushrooms. It was delicious. DS6 had the kid mini burgers which were good but since he had just come from a birthday party, he didn't eat much. DH had the turkey and stuffing. The manager or owner (nice, eager gentleman with an accent- probably Greek), came by and noticed that DH's turkey didn't have cranberry sauce with it. He returned shortly with the cranberries and some bread for the table. DH enjoyed the turkey. I thought it was pretty good but I don't care for sausage- and the stuffing is a sausage cornbread stuffing. When I ordered the pork chops, I was surprised that the server asked how I wanted it cooked. I said medium was fine. The pork chops were delicious- 2 medium size chops with yummy sweet potato mash. The pork chops had a lemon olive oil on them. Unfortunately, as I finished my first chop, the meat closest to the bone was rare. This made me concerned, but I still feel fine today. We reheated the leftover chop in the micro tonight, cooking til no sign of pink and it was still juicy and delicious. DD had an eclair for dessert which was pretty good but my cannoli was great. We will go back but will wait another month or so and hope some of the kinks get worked out.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM

240 posts, read 732,163 times
Cool Big View

We ate there on Friday at about 4pm and enjoyed our meal.
We had some extra excitement going on as 2 High School Seniors from Ardrey Kell were going for the Double D dessert!!! That thing is huge and you get it for FREE if you can eat it all but with no help. I costs about $13.95.
When we left at 5pm, they were getting to the brownie. I don't know if they made it. Our server told me nobody has done it yet.
I am thinking at least one of these young men did it though!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,369 times
We ate there Thursday night, there were people waiting for tables. We were told that the wait would be 30 minutes. The booth we were seated in was empty the whole time (for 6 of us), but it was 25 minute wait. Food was really good I thought. The kids meals comes with a cookie (snickerdoodle only), or a small dish of ice cream with whip and sprinkles. DD wanted a choc-chip, cookie but the waitress said they could only give out snickerdoodles??? Other than a wait for a booth that was empty the entire time we waited, it was a good experience. We will go back. It did seem easier to get a table for 2 than getting a table for 4 or more. I think that they still have some bugs to work out.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2nc View Post
We ate there on Friday at about 4pm and enjoyed our meal.
We had some extra excitement going on as 2 High School Seniors from Ardrey Kell were going for the Double D dessert!!! That thing is huge and you get it for FREE if you can eat it all but with no help. I costs about $13.95.
When we left at 5pm, they were getting to the brownie. I don't know if they made it. Our server told me nobody has done it yet.
I am thinking at least one of these young men did it though!
What's the Double D dessert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte