Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 PM

382 posts, read 825,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
I suspect it has more to do with morals/culture than income...
Completely agree with this statement. There are and have always been many, many poor people all over the world who are not criminals. My own family came as dirt poor immigrants to this country as many other dirt poor immigrants along with them. They worked hard, provided for their families, and then their children broke the cycle of poverty in most cases. My grandmother worked 12 hours per day in a factory, had an 8th grade education, but stressed education to her own children so they could have a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
To Harman Fox:

Diversity is a disaster to the European-American culture if it is blacks who are moving in. Cal City, Country Club Hills, Park Forest, Matteson, Richton Park, Dolton, Riverdale, Posen, and Midlothian were fine places to live and raise children safely until the south and southwestward movement of blacks from the South Side of Chicago to the south suburbs picked up speed.

Here's a question I challenge people with and to this date I've NEVER gotten an answer. What city/area in America changed from White to black and the crime rate subsequently went down, school test scores went up, and one-parent families decreased?]
A) Which city has gone from richer to poorer with a decreasing crime rate, you ask? But..... Oh I actually looked it up! My computer almost fried from running the obvious but 40 years of data later...suggest . . .

There is a correlation between lower test scores and lower income. There is a mathematical realtionship between household income and standaradized test scores.

of a crime rate. There is a correlation that people with less to lose and a lack of a solid income generating J - O - B

(Note: poor people commit more crime. when

Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,240 times
I am careful with the word "racist" because it means hate. However I do understand many of the concerns I've read in this forum.

I believe anyone working class that cares about their family, property, and community DO NOT wish to be surrounded by individuals who appear to have no morals or values. I am African American with one son who plays football for TF South, I've owned my home in Lansing for more than 5 years. I love my neighbors and never encountered any issues while living here. I moved to this area to be closer to my job. I am a nurse with a Masters degree in Leadership, my son is a B+ student, My husband is a retired veteran who works from home now. My point is--my family is here , we are black, and we respect the village we live in--I'm sure there are many others with the same profile living here and in surrounding suburbs.
Yes there are reckless people moving to the suburbs period, but is it fair to just pick up and move? or should we find for our village ? The secret why other communities last longer is their willingness to fight, not run away.

My Thoughts--1Nurse4

Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 AM

424 posts, read 468,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchingcancer View Post
A) Which city has gone from richer to poorer with a decreasing crime rate, you ask? But..... Oh I actually looked it up! My computer almost fried from running the obvious but 40 years of data later...suggest . . .

There is a correlation between lower test scores and lower income. There is a mathematical realtionship between household income and standaradized test scores.

of a crime rate. There is a correlation that people with less to lose and a lack of a solid income generating J - O - B

(Note: poor people commit more crime. when
The correlation exists, but isn't fully recognized by white America, and often decried as racist when you point it out. That's because most of this demographic lacks experience. Many in the western or northern suburbs just aren't exposed to low income people, beyond the 5% or so who live in their particular community. So they don't understand the correlation and assume you are racist for pointing it out, often citing to some ancestor's success despite lack of income (and completely failing to recognize the different economies which exist now versus then haha!). You just can't talk to someone from Oak Park or the city about this topic the same you talk to someone from a more suburban area, I've learned the hard way.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM

424 posts, read 468,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
Completely agree with this statement. There are and have always been many, many poor people all over the world who are not criminals. My own family came as dirt poor immigrants to this country as many other dirt poor immigrants along with them. They worked hard, provided for their families, and then their children broke the cycle of poverty in most cases. My grandmother worked 12 hours per day in a factory, had an 8th grade education, but stressed education to her own children so they could have a better life.
Unless they move to China, it'll be pretty hard for them to replicate this model. Everything's about education now, which individuals in the poor areas usually don't get. You should go check out some school scores from CPS schools. Yikes.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM

46 posts, read 71,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban-Mess View Post
How do you think the southern suburbs from say Orland Park/New Lenox to the Indiana state line will be 10, 20 years from now. Do you think the area will stay the same? Improve? Decline? How about the shopping options such as Orland, Chicago Ridge, Lincoln, Homewood, and River Oaks will be? The schools? Etc. Please share your opinions.
The suburbs that already are crap (east of 57 and north of 80) will still be just as bad as they are now. The towns east of 57 and south of 80 will be like the former suburbs mentioned above except with newer housing. The suburbs west of 57 are what worry me. They'll probably be similar to how the far southern suburbs are now. Which btw is NOT good.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
At least everyone here doesn't look the same - unlike a large swath of the south side of Chicago, the north burbs and the west burbs.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
At least everyone here doesn't look the same - unlike a large swath of the south side of Chicago, the north burbs and the west burbs.
The west burbs are VERY diverse taken as a whole.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The west burbs are VERY diverse taken as a whole.
Western Cook County is but not Dupage.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Western Cook County is but not Dupage.
Not true. What about Glendale Heights? West Chicago? Addison? Heck, even Carol Stream has a sizeable Hispanic populations these days. There just aren't a whole lot of African Americans out in DuPage (but still thousands, so it's not like none are out there).

And the western suburbs of Dupage County have some of the largest Asian communities in Chicagoland as well.

Cross in to Cook, and there are LOTS of African Americans in suburbs like Maywood, Bellwood, Hillside, and Broadview. And of course, Oak Park is a good mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs