Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:35 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
No
What's considered a south Chicago suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 06:30 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
A suburb to the south of Chicago.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:54 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Southland

ChicagoDirectMail.com: Direct Mail in Chicago South/Southwest Zip Codes

Old 09-20-2015, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 5,492 times
Default Thee best!!!

Here are the best that I could come up with:

10. Elmhurst
9. Park Ridge
8. Forest Park
7. Oak Park/River Forest
6. Glenview
5. Northbrook
4. Lake Forest
3. Highland Park
2. Evanston
1. Des Plaines

Yeah, some people might give the old argument: "Des plaines is BOOORING!!!".

Well, *********! If it isn't your cup of tea, you don't have to move here.

Des Plaines has low cost of living and low crime rates. What more could you ask for??

Old 09-20-2015, 10:50 AM

36 posts, read 41,090 times
Thanks for your input. I would like hear more about what you specifically like about Des Plaines. It keeps coming up on my places to move to radar. I think I noticed that the Metra doesn't run on the weekends that is important to me. What are the other perks of living there?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:00 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,818 times
Des Plaines is infamous for John Wayne Gacy (I know, it was a long time ago, but still), and the horrible Des Plaines river which can flood. The schools aren't that good either, but to each his/her own. I personally wouldn't live there. There's a lot of sections with low income housing too, and the airplane noise as well.

I'm a bit biased against Des Plaines though. I know people that live there, and to be honest, it was always depressing visiting their homes. I just don't like the area, it gives me a bad vibe.

Last edited by twodoor2; 09-21-2015 at 07:11 AM..

Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 AM

I get the bad vibe thing. Thanks for your honesty. I know for a fact that the schools are very good. I do know people that live there and they say they see a lot of planes but not much noise.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 AM

At any rate the schools are not a factor as no school age children. I heard they have a great Library. I like that. Des Plaines does not seem to have a great reputation but maybe that will be a plus in keeping housing costs low?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:41 AM

773 posts, read 786,014 times
For 28 years, I lived in unincorporated DuPage County, southeast corner, nestled in with Burr Ridge, Darien and Willowbrook. I just sold my house to a very nice couple with two young children.

During my time there I found the schools to be top notch. Crime was virtually non-existent. The neighbors were friendly. And we were close to the train and I-55, the highway that takes you straight into downtown Chicago or out to St. Louis. Housing was the same or cheaper than in the incorporated areas and housing values remained in line.

In the winter, the roads were quickly plowed. We needed a dying tree on public property taken down and they were there within a couple of weeks. A sewer backup, caused by root intrusion in the public area, was immediately cleared. Public services were great.

Three times while we lived there we took off for the weekend and left the garage door wide open. Not once was anything missing when we got back. Locking the door wasn't even necessary, so if the kids were out and we had to make a run to the store, we'd just leave the doors unlocked without worry.

I lived in and around Chicago for 64 years, it was the best neighborhood I ever lived in.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:44 AM

Default ?

Thanks! Sounds like the kind of place we are looking for. I am confused regarding your location. An actual suburb or town or ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs