Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Do you have any clue what this thread is actually about?
The funny thing is that there's not even a park called "Rogers Park" in the Rogers Park neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:53 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Rogers Park is far from the worst neighborhood in the city.
I never specifically said it was, I was just saying in general. And I know statistically it is not, but out of all the so-called terrible neighborhoods on the south and west sides me and my friends have been to countless times, Rogers Park was the only one that has ever been a problem (and my friend was only just passing through it). So IMO, I have a huge bias against it compared to, let's say L/K Town on the Westside, or Fuller Park on the south side for instance.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
The funny thing is that there's not even a park called "Rogers Park" in the Rogers Park neighborhood.
Rogers Park (the park) is in the West Rogers Park neighborhood, but in the West Ridge community. One can argue that Rogers Park and West Rogers Park make up Rogers Park. Again a case of a neighborhood being split into two different communities much like Humboldt Park.

Growing up we called both Rogers Park and West Rogers Park together Rogers Park. In casual conversation I call both of them Rogers Park. Also we did (and I still do depending on whom I am talking to) call Ukrainian Village and East Ukrainian Village just Ukrainian Village. We really did not make a distinction between the two.

Again, Rogers Park is a case of a neighborhood being split into two different communities much like Humboldt Park. Only in this case they decided to call half of it West Rogers Park and the other Rogers Park making two different neighborhoods although they really are one. I believe this was done to separate themselves (the people of the western portion of Rogers Park) from all the crime that was going on in the eastern portion of Rogers Park at the time. The Edgewater area of Uptown did the same thing and even got their neighborhood made into a separate community.

Chicago Park District-Rogers Park (http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/parks.detail/object_id/1C01B756-2CC5-4F41-AF72-11A7F9C29A3B.cfm - broken link)

http://www.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/City_Neighborhoods_8_5x11.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-06-2008 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 08:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
My wife's best friend grew up in West Ridge, and scoffs any time someone calls it "West Rogers Park". I personally couldn't care less what anyone calls it, but certainly think of it as separate from "Rogers Park". I admit that I didn't know there was an actual park called "Rogers Park" in West Ridge, however!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
My wife's best friend grew up in West Ridge, and scoffs any time someone calls it "West Rogers Park". I personally couldn't care less what anyone calls it, but certainly think of it as separate from "Rogers Park". I admit that I didn't know there was an actual park called "Rogers Park" in West Ridge, however!
Do some research on Rogers Park history.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 PM

287 posts, read 1,086,790 times
I lived in Evanston for a couple years about 10 years ago and worked in Northbrook (couldn't afford to live anywhere near there). I had considered a place in Rogers Park because the rents were much cheaper, and I had a couple college friends that lived there, but honestly it scared the bejeebees outta me. I ended up in a 500 sq. foot studio instead of a 2 bedroom, but at least I could go out at night. I haven't been back since, but it sounds like it hasn't changed much.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
I've lived in East Rogers Park (Lunt and Sheridan) for about 8 months now and have not experienced any problems.I actually really enjoy the neighborhood, it is an incredible mix of people. I love being within extremely close walking distance to Morseland and the Heartland Cafe.

Now, lets say in the next couple months I get robbed or my jeep gets broken into I may change my opinion.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:42 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I've lived in East Rogers Park (Lunt and Sheridan) for about 8 months now and have not experienced any problems.I actually really enjoy the neighborhood, it is an incredible mix of people. I love being within extremely close walking distance to Morseland and the Heartland Cafe.

Now, lets say in the next couple months I get robbed or my jeep gets broken into I may change my opinion.

I live close to Devon and Clark (a bit east) in Rogers Park and I can tell you that I was VERY hesitant to move here (even went to LUC for 6 years and didn't move here), but when I wanted to buy, it was more affordable. I can tell you that I am more than pleasantly surprised. I feel safe, we haven't experienced crime, have great neighbors on all sides, and there is a lot more to do here than I thought, and it's a lot more family-oriented than expected. I also love the diversity and that there are still a lot of mom and pop businesses around here (like my drug store on the corner that delivers!). Before this, I have lived downtown, in Lakeview, West Lakeview, Buena Park.... and I actually like where I live now the best.
All of this being said, where exactly you are in Rogers Park makes a big difference!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Very true, I notice that the Morse stop can seem a little shady at night. I've never had any problems, but I usually make it a point to instruct friends to exit the train on the Lunt side of the platform. I dont know if its safer or not, but thats the perception I have.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,724,829 times
Rogers Park has the potential to be a great neighborhood. There's interesting architecture, the lakefront, a good university, bookstores, coffeeshops, theatres. Pesky crime problem though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago