Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 11:17 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mschicago View Post
I never heard of a good neigborhood, Northside alot of women are rape, cab drivers are killed, people are found an their homes dead. The south, west, north, east side all have it's problem. This world is not a safe place to live but we still are here.
Let's not let relativism carry us away here. Your point is taken in that bad things can happen anywhere but the odds of something really nasty happening to you in, say, Garfield Park are much, much higher than they are in Lakeview. Unfortunate but it's reality.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 PM

86 posts, read 698,375 times
Not sure about nowadays but back in the 80's there always seemed to be a rapist lurking the Rogers Park area.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 31,464 times
Default Englewood - enjoy your travels

Don't worry about traveling through Englewood on the Green Line (Used to be the "A" train). After the Ashland stop, Racine was closed some time ago. Halsted is the only other stop in Englewood, where the new Kennedy King College is located. All the stops on the "A" train from Halsted to 55th were eliminated (63rd Harvard, 59th Wentworth, 58th Street).

All the rest of the stops are Bronzeville, south loop, and Loop until you leave downtown (Clinton/Lake).

I agree with parking your car at Lake/Ashland. Although I parked my car in Bridgeport and it was vandalized (1984). I guess crime can happen anywhere, even in the "recommended living" areas.

Calumet, huh. My home high school. I attended Lindblom though - we were told to attend school and go home. The neighborhood did not want any "visitors" there, even though were were considered to be academically focused. The area around Lindblom is West Englewood, although is is sometimes tied to Englewood proper. Some of my fellow students used to take the "A" train to Lake Meadows.

Hmmm . . . strangely you'd feel that he'd need a travel companion. We traveled through Englewood for 4 years (in the '70's) when it was considered racially hostile west of Ashland.

Just act like you're supposed to be there . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
thanks Drover. have you recently taken the Soutshdie El from around 63rd and South Ashland all the way downtown? I know it travels through Englewood.

by the way, he's white who went to Calumet High School and maybe should have a travel companion along with him.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 31,464 times
Thumbs down Good Area vs Bad Area

. . . Of course. Anything that is the opposite of this is a bad area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Downer's Grove is typical middle-class white-bread suburbia. Good area.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolden View Post
. . . Of course. Anything that is the opposite of this is a bad area.
Why absolutely, because as everybody knows and as I very clearly state in the post you quote, it's an absolute either/or proposition!! Everyone knows that when you praise A, it logically follows that you mean A is good to the thorough exclusion of B through Z!

Don't put words in my mouth, chum.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mschicago View Post
I never heard of a good neigborhood, Northside alot of women are rape, cab drivers are killed, people are found an their homes dead. The south, west, north, east side all have it's problem. This world is not a safe place to live but we still are here.
Your inability to recognize degrees and distinctions does not mean they don't exist.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 16,751 times
Default Want To Visit

I Grew Up In Chicago I Beleive In Albany Park On Lawrence Ave I Went To Volta Elementary School Near Eugene Park,gompers Park
I Want To Bring My Kids To See Where I Grew Up Is It Safe To Go To That Area
Any Info Would Be Great

Old 09-16-2007, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 12,121 times
Default Check area neighborhoods

I'm relocating to Chicago and I've been using this link to search for a new home. It was provided from one of Chicago's own.

Chicago Police Department CLEAR MAP - Crime Incidents

Old 09-16-2007, 05:50 PM

60 posts, read 194,766 times
1250 South Michigan - 60605

My son is at 1212 South Michigan 60605 and it seems to be a great area. Close to everything.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 AM

36 posts, read 182,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
Yes, Garfield Park is one area that is consistently, overwhelmingly a violent craphole. Unfortunately.
East Garfield Park's wikipedia entry paints a much brighter picture:
"After experiencing years of neglect and disinvestment, East Garfield is seeing revitalization with respect to increased property values and some new construction.

Located directly in the path of gentrification heading westward from the loop, East Garfield Park has been named one of America's most "up and coming neighborhoods" in the March 6, 2007 issue of Business Week.[1] Its central location, proximity to downtown, vintage housing stock, and access to two mass transit lines have made this neighborhood attractive to many buyers and investors looking for quick appreciation. Rehabs of vintage buildings and construction of high end luxury condos are seen throughout the area alongside quality affordable housing developments."

The West Garfield entry is not so rosy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago