Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:38 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Dodge what? You haven't even offered the verse you want to talk about.

I know I haven't.On purpose.But what does that matter?You should know it if you read the Bible regularly.

So,let's have an opinion on it rather than cut and pasted verses.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes. God (specifically, the second Person of the trinity-Jesus Christ) had revealed that in the fulness of time, a Messiah would come to pay the penalty for their sins. All the animal sacrifices were a type or picture of the Messiah. The lifting up of the serpent on the staff in the wilderness was similiarly a picture of the Messiah. (Num 21:9; John 3:14). As a matter of fact, Abrahams' near sacrafice of Isaac was a picture of the Messiah.

I had included these three passages which show that the entire 'inhabited' world had been evangelized in the first century. It was promptly pooh-poohed by one of posters who just doesn't want to believe the Bible.

Acts 17:6 And when they did not find them, they began dragging Jason and some brethren before the city authorities, shouting, ''These men who have upset the world (the inhabited earth) have come here also;

Colossians 1:5 because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel, [6] which has come to you, just as in all the world also it is constantly bearing fruit and increasing, even as it has been doing in you also since the day you heard of it and understood the grace of God in truth,

1 Timothy 3:16 And by common confession great is the mystery of godliness; He who was revealed in the flesh, Was vindicated in the Spirit, Beheld by angels, Proclaimed among the nations, Believed on in the world, Taken up in glory.

Missionary activity has gone on ever since then.

Let me get this straight.You seriously believe the Americas,Oceania,and Australia were evangelized in 100 AD?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Like I said earlier,it is amazing what you guys will come up with.The Bible SAYS Judas bought the field.
No, Matt says the priests bought it with his money, and Acts says Judas bought it. If they bought it with his money it is same as him buying it. You are bickering, and it is unfortunate you have chosen to bicker in order to find error in the Bible.

Quote:
BTW,the Jewish priests that he threw the money at were NOT the church,the were the Jewish priest who wanted Jesus dead.So there goes that excuse.
Call it an excuse if you want, but the Bible says they COULD NOT take it because it was blood money. Obviously they still followed whatever rules they had in existence evan after murdering Christ.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM

159 posts, read 174,983 times
Quote:
Let me get this straight.You seriously believe the Americas,Oceania,and Australia were evangelized in 100 AD?
Or that Socrates, who was basically a pre-Christian martyr, would reject Christianity. Or that Jesus wouldn't have one disciple if he was born century earlier. I wrote more on page 8 (although I meant to say "They just' not 'There just' in one place).

Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I know I haven't.On purpose.But what does that matter?You should know it if you read the Bible regularly..
Yep. I already posted what Paul said about Bible being inspired by God. I know you did not miss the post because you replied to it. If you want to play games, you'll have to find someone else to play them with.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:07 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:
Matthew 27:4-6 4 "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood." "What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility." 5 So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. 6 The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money." 7So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners. 8 That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day.

Acts 1:18-19 18(With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19 Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

P87 and LT although I agree with you guys that not everything in our bibles today is inspired as man has handled Gods word so much, adding things to it that are not in the original language, I don’t see the same contradiction you guys do in those two sets of scripture.

Not everyone writes the same, some people have a really good flow to their writings and others don’t. Some like myself write in short choppy sentences. Reading Acts take I see this

With the reward he got for his wickedness Judas bought a field.

There he fell headlong.

His body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

Mathew being a more prolific writer gives the details that omitted by the writer of Acts. Clarifying if you will, what the Acts writer was referring to.

Judas threw the money and the priest bought the field with the money.

The seller of the field would want to know whose name they should put on the deed to the land. As the money came from Judas it was only natural for the priest to use his name as the buyer of the field; thus Acts says Judas bought the field.

Point 1 reconciled

Mathew say Judas hanged himself and acts says Judas’s body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. In olden days it was not uncommon to leave a body to rot on the vine so to speak, and as nothing is said of Judas being buried, we can assume this was the case with him.

When a body is left exposed to the sun, the heat inflates the body, the body bloats up and basically explodes and all the innards come out.

Point 2 reconciled

Acts is the only one who says there he fell headlong, Mathew is silent on this point so there is nothing to reconcile. But how do we know that Judas did not hang himself by his feet?

Maybe he was the first bungee jumper.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yep. I already posted what Paul said about Bible being inspired by God. I know you did not miss the post because you replied to it. If you want to play games, you'll have to find someone else to play them with.
You posted a cut and pasted verse.I asked for YOUR opinion on the matter,of how it could work when the Bible is saying contradicting things.This now makes at least twice you have refused to answer.I'm guessing it is because the problem is not something you know HOW to answer.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
2 Timothy 3:16: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."
Fin if you know the history of the bible Paul wrote his writings BEFORE all the others except James. Therefore, when Paul stated this the ONLY scriptures available were the Old Testament scriptures and the writings of James.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

P87 and LT although I agree with you guys that not everything in our bibles today is inspired as man has handled Gods word so much, adding things to it that are not in the original language, I don’t see the same contradiction you guys do in those two sets of scripture.

Not everyone writes the same, some people have a really good flow to their writings and others don’t. Some like myself write in short choppy sentences. Reading Acts take I see this

With the reward he got for his wickedness Judas bought a field.

There he fell headlong.

His body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

Mathew being a more prolific writer gives the details that omitted by the writer of Acts. Clarifying if you will, what the Acts writer was referring to.

Judas threw the money and the priest bought the field with the money.

The seller of the field would want to know whose name they should put on the deed to the land. As the money came from Judas it was only natural for the priest to use his name as the buyer of the field; thus Acts says Judas bought the field.

Point 1 reconciled

Mathew say Judas hanged himself and acts says Judas’s body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. In olden days it was not uncommon to leave a body to rot on the vine so to speak, and as nothing is said of Judas being buried, we can assume this was the case with him.

When a body is left exposed to the sun, the heat inflates the body, the body bloats up and basically explodes and all the innards come out.

Point 2 reconciled

Acts is the only one who says there he fell headlong, Mathew is silent on this point so there is nothing to reconcile. But how do we know that Judas did not hang himself by his feet?

Maybe he was the first bungee jumper.
The point is very minor,granted.But when the literalists condemn folks like they routinely do,I like to see how they respond to such things as this.And the Bible does not say Judas OWNED a field,it says Judas BOUGHT a field.That implies action on the part of Judas,and not merely the field being bought in his name with his money.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
That's not an answer,just a dodge.Use your own words instead of cutting and pasting verses.

Again,HOW is a statement by Paul that says what he is saying is NOT scripture,scripture?When Paul says that what he is saying is not inspired,is he wrong?And if he is wrong,yet it is in the Bible,then how is that verse inspired?

It is like the old joke.A guy says,"I lie in everything I say.But the previous statement is a lie."
Paul also said in this referance that he had the mind of Christ, the mind of Christ qualifies what he said as inspired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity