Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
You're right. God makes the rules. Here they are:

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails.
Rules? No, that is the definition of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerimiahJohnson View Post
Hello MysticPhD,

May I say something? I don't really like to get into this venue of discussion, as it always seems to turn out for the worst, and the edification of Christ is lost, but I couldn't help notice your interpretation on the revelation of Jesus' true nature. I have my Bible open in front of me, and after many years of diligent study of Jesus' true nature it is indeed love stretched out from God's holy tree, as Christ the BRANCH, and His desire for all mankind to come to Him in submissive union. Yet it is also very evidential, that Christ was very judgmental in His sermons to the Jews, where He took special care and attention to the condemnation of them, and specifically and personally, our denial in Him. He was very clear to His listeners about life after death, and who inherits it, and who doesn't. To be quite honest with you, most of His sermons were of the judicial nature, directed at His accusers and precisely what was going to happen to them when they would be judged, after they have gone and died naturally. Christ followed the same pattern as His predecessor. He began His ministry with love, but finished it with an iron rod. Thank you for taking the time in reading my response to you. God bless you.
Well said.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:57 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
I don't believe God's arms are folded..

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 AM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
How can I if all are saved? I'm defending the Truth and will until I die.
I believe completely in your sincerity and purity of motive, CW2L . . . that is the tragedy of it. You have been indoctrinated into an unthinking blind obedience to what you have been told is the truth and been prevented from developing your own independent judgment of evil (maturing in Christ). God does not need any exceptions from those judgments that our inner Jesus tells us are evil . . . using human rationalizations and special pleadings. IF it would be evil for one of us to do it . . . it would be evil for God to do it, period. Search your inner Jesus for the real answers, CW2L . . . I am absolutely certain they are there. He abides with us . . . not in some USEFUL books of instructions. God Bless.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 AM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, now you are the great judge who condemns others to punishment. Interesting.

Christ cleansed me the day I accepted Him as my Lord and saviour.
God is interested in our "state of mind" (intentions, motives, agape love, etc.) . . . nothing else. The judgment He wants us to have involves correctly recognizing good and evil on our own . . . not judging people. Your special pleading to except God's actions from those judgments is simply misguided. God needs no exceptions or special pleading . . . evil is evil no matter WHO does it. ANY mind that retains evil and excuses it as good is in need of cleansing.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
After all of the what would ET people do if threads this:

Scenario:

So what if you got to heaven (those of you who trusted in Jesus) and discovered that the historical/Orthodox view was correct? You realized that where Bible said those who don't trust in Jesus will be in hell forever, doing what people do in hell. The Bible was/is clear on such matters.

Then you came to realize that millions upon millions of people were lulled into a false sense of security, thinking they would not face God's eternal punishment due to the teachings of UR. Those same millions would have made the choice for Christ, but they thought; hey I'm OK regardless. No sense of urgency to say yes to Christ.

How would you feel?

1. You would be sad that they are suffering forever, but at least you would be joyful you are with God
2. You wouldn't even remember they are suffering forever
3. You would be really sad that you spread a false doctrine that caused people to think they would be OK.
4. Other.........
And threatening people with a fictional eternal fire brings them to Christ how? I don't choose any of your "scenarios" because I now know the truth that hell is not an eternal torment chamber, it simply means the grave. UR is much more likely to bring people to Christ because of the LOVE it shows and the fact that it puts our Creator in the light of love and forgiveness, not a monster who tortures people endlessly forever.

All of those questions have been asked before, and I used to do the asking!! I always doubted this ET thing, and I was very uncomfortable teaching it but I felt that if it were true then I had to do everything in my power to save people from this horrible fate! Why would God do this? It never made sense to me, but it was what I was taught and we all know how hard it is to break free from the teachings of men.

The God that I know is loving, longsuffering and merciful and He WILL have ALL to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth just like this scripture says:

1 Timothy 2:3-5

3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Old 07-22-2010, 07:01 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
You're right. God makes the rules. Here they are:

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails.
...God does make the rules, and the most important rule He made for us to keep was to confess and repent of our sins...to turn from our wickedness to Him and live a life walking in the Spirit of Christ...you can love...love hard!...the love you show to others must include telling them the truth of how to work out their own salvation, according to the Word of God...or you really don't love them at all. What kind of love is it that denies them the chance to have their eternity spent with Jesus the King in His Kingdom?...This is the love of God, To keep His Commandments. Nothing less will do.

In Christ's love...prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
What kind of love is it that denies them the chance to have their eternity spent with Jesus the King in His Kingdom?...This is the love of God, To keep His Commandments. Nothing less will do.

Verna.
And so, according to your POV, what do you say about the little child who dies of an illness? He "had his chance?"

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-22-2010, 07:15 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That's a good question. Of course, if I were not absolutely certain as to the "big picture" plan I wouldn't dare say anything that would possibly jeopardize one soul.

Yet I'm amazed how many Christian leaders who DO profess to believe in eternal torment (and believe they are influencing yea or nay decisions for or against Christ) are willing to do so much damage to the credibility of Christianity.

In the big city near me (San Antonio) the infidelities, lying and hypocrisies committed by high profile evangelicals has done great damage to the general public's view of the faith - so if you think God allows people's eternal destinies to be determined by other's bad decisions, believe me - there are a LOT bigger things to be concerned with than UR.

So, in your scenario, "Christianity" - with it's scandals and hypocrisies and failures to act would be responsible for the vast majority of souls in hell.
This is true firstborn...but the damage done by the one does not lessen the damage done by the other in any way...they both, Modern Day teachings of Christianity and the false teaching of UR, are equally responsible for the masses of lost souls.

Verna.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...God does make the rules, and the most important rule He made for us to keep was to confess and repent of our sins...to turn from our wickedness to Him and live a life walking in the Spirit of Christ...you can love...love hard!...the love you show to others must include telling them the truth of how to work out their own salvation, according to the Word of God...or you really don't love them at all. What kind of love is it that denies them the chance to have their eternity spent with Jesus the King in His Kingdom?...This is the love of God, To keep His Commandments. Nothing less will do.

Verna.
Yep, love is the fruit of salvation, not the other way round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity