Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times

Advertisements

Regarding the Tower of Babel.....lip...is often considered to be of.....one mind. FWIW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
"Answers," Robin? You don't sound too sure when you make guesses like this:

When God confused the languages He could have done so...
It's called a lame attempt at "explaining away" things that cannot be rationally explained, just like when a little kid asks a tough question, make up more nonsense.

But what about the part that Noah and family being the only humans to survive, thus the were the only ones left to repopulated the earth, thus they had to practice incest, (father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister) and that would make everyone a product of incest?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:05 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's called a lame attempt at "explaining away" things that cannot be rationally explained, just like when a little kid asks a tough question, make up more nonsense.

But what about the part that Noah and family being the only humans to survive, thus the were the only ones left to repopulated the earth, thus they had to practice incest, (father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister) and that would make everyone a product of incest?
The apologetic answer to that is: "the law was not given yet" and so, it was not a sin - YET. God decided to make a fuss about it later on.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
I know this will sound weird or even wrong to some who read it, but I take the story of the flood in a prophetic manner pointing towards the end of the world as we know it. Noah is a "type" of the heavenly Father, the ark itself a "type" of Christ and the eight survivors with all the animals a type of the New Creation restored to paradise. I'm still anticipating the flood and keeping myself safe by being in the ark.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
its metaphorical. i think , it has to do with the end of the last Ice Age.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:31 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
its metaphorical. i think , it has to do with the end of the last Ice Age.
But we may have yet another Ice Age to pass through brought about by climate change and possibly even followed by the dreaded Nuclear Winter (something I find unpleasant to think about). It's a tough world for mortals to pass through - that's for sure.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
It all started with Adam and Eve, according to the Bible. Then the flood which would account for the Ice Age. Can you imagine what the earth would have smelled like if it had not frozen.

Did the tower of Babel come before or after the flood. I have no way of knowing this for sure but I always thought of this tower as the place where different cultures began. It all started with a lack of communication because they were getting along and doing wrong things. Maybe there is a lesson there someplace. LOL Coming together is only good if it is to do the will of God.

This is an interesting question. Some information is given to us on a need to know basis. Maybe there are some Bibical scholars that really know the answer to this question. I am not one of them.

I have heard things that I would never repeat on this forum about curses, etc. Could each culture have come from different circumstances. What elments on this earth would change the color of a person's skin. And does skin color come from living in a particular area. I could see that a particular culture could develop from being around people who have the same physical features and a need to belong.

Last edited by NCN; 01-15-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 02:59 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Weren't Noah's sons already married?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,406 times
yes,Noah's sons were married,thus,there was no incest.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Weren't Noah's sons already married?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
yes,Noah's sons were married,thus,there was no incest.
So the next generation would have been 1st cousins getting it on. That is considered incest. (sex between close relatives) Next generation would meant the 1st & 1st cousins, 2nd and 2nd cousins, and 1st and 2nd cousins would be getting it on. Of course there would be uncle/niece and aunt/nephew unions, but still close relative on close relative.

Makes for a very very shallow gene pool, with lots of inbreeding and the genetic hazards it causes. Taboo's and laws deal with the sex act between close relatives, however reality and biological fact show it is an unwise practice. Inbreeding leads to a higher probability of congenital birth defects because it increases that proportion of zygotes that are homozygous, in particular for deleterious recessive alleles that produce such disorders.

And of course today, now that the entire human genome has been decoded, the lack of diversity within the human gene pool would be easily proven by any lab capable of determining DNA sequences.

Then there is the obvious, the different races.

This is clearly shown in the danger of small numbers of different animal species, as it is difficult for the species to recover due to the lack of genetic diversity.

And of course this all follows the first shallow gene pool incestuous start to our species, the off spring of Adam and Eve. Of course Eve, made from Adam's rib would have almost identical DNA, while not incest (or is it?) would mean the gene pool has no depth at all. Did they also have daughters?..... really really shallow gene pool

And people wonder why atheists don't buy into the fable at all

Last edited by Asheville Native; 01-15-2011 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity