Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,936,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
...He lost his human spirit and became dichotomous - body and soul only.
As I understand it, that's not really what scripture presents. The spirit of the unregenerate man is still there, but it's like a stone, no longer alive to God and able to hear and receive His word.

In the OT scriptures, heart and spirit are often used interchangeably, being one and the same. A quick search of those terms, when used side-by-side, will demonstrate this. For example:

Psa 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Psa 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Isa 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Here is what Ezekiel tells us, considering the new birth:

Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

You'll notice that during regeneration the stony heart (or spirit) is being removed for a new heart (or spirit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 AM

289 posts, read 289,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
I agree. He did say that. However, KMG you assumed that Jesus was saying the he who believes and is baptized (in water) shall be saved. No, Jesus did not specifically say “water”, he just said “baptized”. KMG it seems as soon you see the word “baptism”— you immediately think about water. You shouldn't be so quick to jump the gun. "Baptism" is not always equated with water.
It is, unless the context specifically says something else, i.e. baptism of the Holy Spirit, baptism in Moses, baptism of suffering, etc.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:15 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
I agree. He did say that. However, KMG you assumed that Jesus was saying the he who believes and is baptized (in water) shall be saved. No, Jesus did not specifically say “water”, he just said “baptized”. KMG it seems as soon you see the word “baptism”— you immediately think about water. You shouldn't be so quick to jump the gun. "Baptism" is not always equated with water.
When the passage in question is speaking of salvation/forgiveness of sins/entrance into the Kingdom, then it is speaking of water baptism. When Jesus told His apostles to baptize, it was with water because they could not baptize with the Spirit.

Katie

Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
::SIGH:: Superstition and magic are king.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::SIGH:: Superstition and magic are king.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 PM

698 posts, read 647,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
When the passage in question is speaking of salvation/forgiveness of sins/entrance into the Kingdom, then it is speaking of water baptism. When Jesus told His apostles to baptize, it was with water because they could not baptize with the Spirit.

Katie
Could you please tell me the scripture that implies this?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Since John the Baptist said the Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit, the implication is that only He could do that.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Yes, it's Matthew 3:11. Only Jesus could baptize with the Spirit.
Katie

Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATDIVIDE46 View Post
It is, unless the context specifically says something else, i.e. baptism of the Holy Spirit, baptism in Moses, baptism of suffering, etc.
So you think water baptism saves?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM

Question:

Where in “the bible” is it explicitly recorded that Jesus told anyone, Jew or Gentile, to be water-baptized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity