Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,867,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Exactly my point bro.
For that to apply, you would have to deny existence of "Satan".

Quote:
Not entirely off topic...just not possible to prove so it detracts from the answering of the question and takes the debate in a different direction.
Deflection.

Do you, or do you not believe in existence of Satan since the beginning of humanity? If you do, why would God allow so? And then the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate, not on those who don't believe the myth. And you're trying to avoid it. Don't ask me to prove the non-existence, because the very idea of non-existence is the reason this thread exists. It may be just that you're not getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM

817 posts, read 741,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Ok so to the ones who don't even believe there's a real angel who rebelled against God called Satan, then why would Yahushua say He saw Satan fall from heaven like lightning? In other words, very quickly kicked out.

And what do you say about the scripture in Revelation that says one third of the angels went with him?
I'm finding that the issue is that the people who don't believe he exists don't really accept the Bible as it was written (at least not in its entirety) but still believe in God and many of the things that Christ stood for.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
For that to apply, you would have to deny existence of "Satan".

Deflection.

Do you, or do you not believe in existence of Satan since the beginning of humanity? If you do, why would God allow so? And then the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate, not on those who don't believe the myth. And you're trying to avoid it. Don't ask me to prove the non-existence, because the very idea of non-existence is the reason this thread exists. It may be just that you're not getting it.
I guess you didn't read back early enough in the thread where I answered the question and explained my views on it already??? Are you saying you thought I never answered the question posed in this thread?

And what I actually meant in the specific statement you responded to was...if I had authored this thread, I would have specifically asked to hear from only those who believed he existed...in order to keep the debate more focused.

You'll see an example of this when I start the new thread called "The Prophecies of Malachi" and where I ask to only hear from those who actually believe the Bible is inspired (at least mostly) by God.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I guess you didn't read back early enough in the thread where I answered the question and explained my views on it already??? Are you saying you thought I never answered the question posed in this thread?
No. This was my first post to you:

Quote:
Then why was Jesus protected from it? Then why is punishment and torture the guaranteed end game who don't meet that challenge? Besides, in a perfect world, you would think such problems shouldn't exist, much less the God getting overly angry and trying to fix it all, going all out literally wiping out everything as necessary?
Show me which post of yours provided an answer to it.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 PM

63,966 posts, read 40,253,710 times
Quote:
You can't prove a negative. The burden of proof rests on those who believe Satan exists, and be open to provide reasonable explanation to how it bodes well with the scenario they like to present.
It has been presented many times . . . just ignored by all sides who prefer to debate the superstitions and ancient ignorance of our ancestors. Here is the Serpent (Satan) in a real life photo embedded in my artwork. Any claims that the Serpent (Satan) does not exist are completely disproved by the photo.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It has been presented many times . . . just ignored by all sides who prefer to debate the superstitions and ancient ignorance of our ancestors. Here is the Serpent (Satan) in a real life photo embedded in my artwork. Any claims that the Serpent (Satan) does not exist are completely disproved by the photo.
Then I must assume you would believe in this (Hindu) story of creation. It involves churning of the oceans by Gods and the devils alike, to create life. Or is this somehow untrue but the Biblical story is true... in which case, how do you know which is?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:06 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,224,190 times
Quote:
I'm finding that the issue is that the people who don't believe he exists don't really accept the Bible as it was written (at least not in its entirety) but still believe in God and many of the things that Christ stood for.
Hmmm...you gave me the impression that you did some serious study regarding the origins of the bible, its history, who put it together, etc...I believe you misled me given the above statement.

Since I have done many years of serious study into this matter and even went so far as to study and look at the actual copies of the bible pages we do have...which have been heavily edited, I might add...you are correct in assuming that I do not accept everything written in the book. There are also many gospels and scriptures we have found...alot of which should have been in the bible...but we know who prevented that from happening don't we????????????

Old 09-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Hmmm...you gave me the impression that you did some serious study regarding the origins of the bible, its history, who put it together, etc...I believe you misled me given the above statement.

Since I have done many years of serious study into this matter and even went so far as to study and look at the actual copies of the bible pages we do have...which have been heavily edited, I might add...you are correct in assuming that I do not accept everything written in the book. There are also many gospels and scriptures we have found...alot of which should have been in the bible...but we know who prevented that from happening don't we????????????
Christy...I am also one of those who doesn't accept the entire Bible either. For one..I question Paul's letters. I question many other things also.

I'm not at all sure though why my statement would have offended you, if it did offend you. I was just stating a fact.

Though I question some of the texts of the bible myself...I believe in the existence of the preternatural beings.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:14 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,224,190 times
Quote:
Christy...I am also one of those who doesn't accept the entire Bible either. For one..I question Paul's letters. I question many other things also.

I'm not at all sure though why my statement would have offended you, if it did offend you. I was just stating a fact.

Though I question some of the texts of the bible myself...I believe in the existence of the preternatural beings.
OK...My Bad!!! I took it the wrong way...like you were agreeing with them that we are a bunch of nonbelievers...because that is what they claim.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:20 PM

63,966 posts, read 40,253,710 times
Quote:
Then I must assume you would believe in this (Hindu) story of creation. It involves churning of the oceans by Gods and the devils alike, to create life. Or is this somehow untrue but the Biblical story is true... in which case, how do you know which is?
More attempts to argue the superstitions and ancient ignorance of our ancestors. We have advanced our knowledge well beyond the ignorance of our ancestors, Einstein. The kind of explanations that were necessary for the primitives thousands of years ago are not necessary today. We don't pour new wine (generations) into old wine skins (beliefs). We have new wine skins (beliefs) to hold the new wine(generations).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity