Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM

303 posts, read 430,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Here is a lay person's analogy of what you are describing here. You are destitute, poor, bankrupt, owe everybody you know and have NOTHING. It's like God put a million dollars in your bank account. You did not earn it, did not do anything to merit it. But if you don't pull out the check book and sign your name and pay the bills, you will continue to be in that same poor state of debt and bankruptcy. Everything has already been taken care of but you don't use your faith (writing the check) and remain in the state you were in.

I don't see why this is so hard to grasp.

Because if God is the one doing everything, then he will make your hand pull out the check book and sign your name and pay the bills. You will not continue in the same poor state of debt...he has paid it all. Everything has already been taken care of because God has already spoken it, his word will not return to him void. He will be faithful to his promise of redeeming us even if we don't believe. If you believe that you must write the check and pay the bills then you also play a part in that bill being paid. We don't play any part in our salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 PM

987 posts, read 1,119,498 times
Love your analogy of the wind in the trees, Cimaroon.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimaroon View Post
Is God is directly responsible for hardening your heart so you will not understand and turn to him for healing?

Romans 11:32
For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

God himself has imprisoned everyone in unbelief....he did it so that he could have mercy on everyone. Why would anyone of us need mercy...his undeserved kindness...if we believed. We would be doing his will so there would be no need for mercy.

John 12:40
He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Exodus 4:21
The LORD said to Moses, "When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go.

Exodus 9:12
But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said to Moses.

Romans 9:18
Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

If someone's heart is hardened, then they will not understand with their heart and if they do not understand with their heart then they cannot choose him and be healed.

Who does the scriptures say harden the heart of man? It says God.
So God is directly responsible for hardening your heart so you will not understand and turn to him for healing.

God hardens the hearts of those who have first hardened their own hearts. God hands you over to your own unbelief. Pharoah first hardened his own heart before God is said to have hardened it. And Israel's unbelief was not because God wished it to be so. But because of Israel's unbelief God temporarily set Israel aside. Because of Israel's constant rejection of God's revelation He punished them with judicial blindness and deadened hearts.

Man first hardens his own heart as seen in passages such as Rom. 1:18, 24, 26, 28 and 2 Thess.2:8-12.

God desires that no one perish, but that all men be saved (2 Peter 3:9; 1 Tim. 2:4). He does not therefore harden anyones heart without regard for their volition, so that they cannot be saved. Again, man first hardens his own heart. Refer to the passages I gave above.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God hardens the hearts of those who have first hardened their own hearts. God hands you over to your own unbelief. Pharoah first hardened his own heart before God is said to have hardened it. And Israel's unbelief was not because God wished it to be so. But because of Israel's unbelief God temporarily set Israel aside. Because of Israel's constant rejection of God's revelation He punished them with judicial blindness and deadened hearts.

Man first hardens his own heart as seen in passages such as Rom. 1:18, 24, 26, 28 and 2 Thess.2:8-12.

God desires that no one perish, but that all men be saved (2 Peter 3:9; 1 Tim. 2:4). He does not therefore harden anyones heart without regard for their volition, so that they cannot be saved. Again, man first hardens his own heart. Refer to the passages I gave above.

Pharoah did not harden his own heart first...That is your lie, I'll let you tell it...HaShem hardened Pharoah's heart...

Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:

That Pharaoh hardened his own heart is stated in 1 Samuel 6:6 ''Why do you harden your hearts as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their hearts? When He had severely dealt with them, did they not allow the people to go, and they departed?

Concerning the fact that Pharaoh first hardened his own heart before God further hardened it, refer to these articles on the matter:

Why did God harden Pharaoh’s heart?

Did God force Pharaoh to do evil by hardening his heart

Apologetics Press - Who Hardened Pharaoh's Heart?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Because if God is the one doing everything, then he will make your hand pull out the check book and sign your name and pay the bills. You will not continue in the same poor state of debt...he has paid it all. Everything has already been taken care of because God has already spoken it, his word will not return to him void. He will be faithful to his promise of redeeming us even if we don't believe. If you believe that you must write the check and pay the bills then you also play a part in that bill being paid. We don't play any part in our salvation.
Who said God is doing everything?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
That Pharaoh hardened his own heart is stated in 1 Samuel 6:6 ''Why do you harden your hearts as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their hearts? When He had severely dealt with them, did they not allow the people to go, and they departed?

Concerning the fact that Pharaoh first hardened his own heart before God further hardened it, refer to these articles on the matter:

Why did God harden Pharaoh’s heart?

Did God force Pharaoh to do evil by hardening his heart

Apologetics Press - Who Hardened Pharaoh's Heart?
There you go again with your 'articles'......I will go with what HaShem, Himself, stated to Moses in Exodus...

1Sa 6:5 And you shall make images of your hemorrhoids, and images of your mice that are corrupting the land, and shall give honor to the God of Israel. It may be that He will lighten His hand from off you and from off your gods, and from off your land.
1Sa 6:6 And why do you harden your heart as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their heart? When He dealt ruthlessly with them, did they not send them away? And they went.

Exo_7:3 And I will harden the heart of Pharaoh. And I will multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt.
Exo_14:4 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and he will pursue you. And I will be honored through Pharaoh, and through all his armies. And the Egyptians shall know that I am Jehovah. And they did so.
Exo 4:21 And Jehovah said to Moses, As you go to return to Egypt, see all the wonders which I have put in your hand, and do them before Pharaoh. And I will make strong his heart, and he will not send the people away.

Rom 9:1 I tell the truth in Christ, I do not lie, my conscience bearing witness with me in the Holy Spirit,
Rom 9:2 that my grief is great, and a never ceasing pain is in my heart,
Rom 9:3 for I myself was wishing to be a curse from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to flesh,
Rom 9:4 who are Israelites, whose are the adoption and the glory, and the covenants, and the Lawgiving, and the service, and the promises;
Rom 9:5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to flesh, He being God over all, blessed forever. Amen.
Rom 9:6 Not, however, that God's Word has failed. For not all those of Israel are Israel,
Rom 9:7 nor because they are Abraham's seed are all children, but "In Isaac a Seed shall be called to you." Gen. 21:12
Rom 9:8 That is: Not the children of flesh are children of God, but the children of the promise are counted for a seed.
Rom 9:9 For the Word of promise is this, "According to this time I will come, and a son will be to Sarah." Gen. 18:10
Rom 9:10 And not only so, but also Rebekah conceiving of one, our father Isaac,
Rom 9:11 for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of the One calling,
Rom 9:12 it was said to her, "The greater shall serve the lesser;" Gen. 25:23
Rom 9:13 even as it has been written, "I loved Jacob, and I hated Esau." Mal. 1:2, 3
Rom 9:14 What then shall we say? Is there not unrighteousness with God? Let it not be!
Rom 9:15 For He said to Moses, "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will pity whomever I will pity." Ex. 33:19
Rom 9:16 So, then, it is not of the one willing, nor of the one running, but of the One showing mercy, of God.
Rom 9:17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very thing I raised you up, so that I might display My power in you, and so that My name might be publicized in all the earth." Ex. 9:16
Rom 9:18 So, then, to whom He desires, He shows mercy. And to whom He desires, He hardens.
Rom 9:19 You will then say to me, Why does He yet find fault? For who has resisted His will?
Rom 9:20 Yes, rather, O man, who are you answering against God? Shall the thing formed say to the One forming it, Why did You make me like this? Isa. 29:16
Rom 9:21 Or does not the potter have authority over the clay, out of the one lump to make one vessel to honor, and one to dishonor? Jer. 18:6
Rom 9:22 But if God, desiring to demonstrate His wrath, and to make His power known, endured in much long-suffering vessels of wrath having been fitted out for destruction,
Rom 9:23 and that He make known the riches of His glory on vessels of mercy which He before prepared for glory,
Rom 9:24 whom He also called, not only us, of Jews, but also out of nations.
Rom 9:25 As also He says in Hosea, I will call those Not My people, My people! And those not beloved, Beloved! Hosea 2:23
Rom 9:26 "And it shall be, in the place where it was said to them, You are not My people, there they will be called, "Sons of the Living God." LXX-Hos. 2:1; MT-Hos. 2:23
Rom 9:27 But Isaiah cries on behalf of Israel, "If the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, the remnant will be saved."
Rom 9:28 For He is bringing the matter to an end, and having been cut short "in righteousness," "because the Lord" "will do a thing cut short" "on the earth." Isa. 10:22, 23
Rom 9:29 And as Isaiah has said before, "Except the Lord of hosts left a seed to us, we would have become as Sodom, and we would have become as Gomorrah." Isa. 1:9
Rom 9:30 What then shall we say? That the nations not following after righteousness have taken on righteousness, but a righteousness of faith;
Rom 9:31 but Israel following after a Law of righteousness did not arrive at a Law of righteousness?
Rom 9:32 Why? Because it was not of faith, but as of works of Law. For they stumbled at the Stone-of-stumbling,
Rom 9:33 as it has been written, "Behold, I place in" "Zion a Stone-of-stumbling," "and a Rock-of-offense," "and everyone believing on Him will not be shamed." LXX and MT-Isa. 28:16; MT-Isa. 8:14

So , I Samuel 6:6 is all you have?...

Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,989 times
Quote:
You claim that all men will not be saved. God says differently!

First of all God said we should know his will and not be ignorant. Why is that? Could it be because he does things according to his will? So if you know his will then you will know what he will do and your deceitful heart could not fool you.

Ephesians 5:17
Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

God first tells us to understand what his will is and here is why he tells us this:

Daniel 4:35
And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

God tells us to understand what his will is for he does according to his will. It's that simple!

So what is God's will?
1 Timothy 2:3-4
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have ALL men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

God's will is to have all men saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. He does according to his will. So I don't know how you can claim that the Bible says nothing about God saving all men.

What is not God's will?

Matthew 18:14
Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALLshould come to repentance.

This may be your will that some should perish but it is not God's will. His will is that all should be saved and he will do this because he does according to his will. His ministry is a ministry of reconciliation.

2 Corinthians 5:18-19
And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Your faith isn't reconciling the world unto God himself....it is only reconciling some. This is not scriptural.

How about this verse:

Philippians 2:10-11
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Notice it says every tongue should confess that Jesus is Lord

Romans 10:10
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

So if every tongue shall confess and confession is made unto salvation then everyone will see the salvation of God. Isn't that Good News!!! You would be unmerciful if you would rather it be that some will be eternally tortured. Christ himself said to learn mercy.

Luke 3:6
And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

And why will all flesh see the salvation of God? Because all flesh was given to Christ that he should give eternal life to as many as God gave him...which was all flesh and he will not lose one that God has given him...which is all flesh.

John 17:1-2
These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

John 6:39
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Now do as Christ said and learn mercy!!!!

Matthew 9:13
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

He is calling all sinners to repentance because God is not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALLshould come to repentance.
- Does 'should' mean Will ?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- Does 'should' mean Will ?
Joh 6:39 And this is the will of the Father sending Me, that of all that He has given Me, I shall not lose any of it, but shall raise it up in the last day.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
There you go again with your 'articles'......I will go with what HaShem, Himself, stated to Moses in Exodus...

1Sa 6:5 And you shall make images of your hemorrhoids, and images of your mice that are corrupting the land, and shall give honor to the God of Israel. It may be that He will lighten His hand from off you and from off your gods, and from off your land.
1Sa 6:6 And why do you harden your heart as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their heart? When He dealt ruthlessly with them, did they not send them away? And they went.

Exo_7:3 And I will harden the heart of Pharaoh. And I will multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt.
Exo_14:4 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and he will pursue you. And I will be honored through Pharaoh, and through all his armies. And the Egyptians shall know that I am Jehovah. And they did so.
Exo 4:21 And Jehovah said to Moses, As you go to return to Egypt, see all the wonders which I have put in your hand, and do them before Pharaoh. And I will make strong his heart, and he will not send the people away.

Rom 9:1 I tell the truth in Christ, I do not lie, my conscience bearing witness with me in the Holy Spirit,
Rom 9:2 that my grief is great, and a never ceasing pain is in my heart,
Rom 9:3 for I myself was wishing to be a curse from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to flesh,
Rom 9:4 who are Israelites, whose are the adoption and the glory, and the covenants, and the Lawgiving, and the service, and the promises;
Rom 9:5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to flesh, He being God over all, blessed forever. Amen.
Rom 9:6 Not, however, that God's Word has failed. For not all those of Israel are Israel,
Rom 9:7 nor because they are Abraham's seed are all children, but "In Isaac a Seed shall be called to you." Gen. 21:12
Rom 9:8 That is: Not the children of flesh are children of God, but the children of the promise are counted for a seed.
Rom 9:9 For the Word of promise is this, "According to this time I will come, and a son will be to Sarah." Gen. 18:10
Rom 9:10 And not only so, but also Rebekah conceiving of one, our father Isaac,
Rom 9:11 for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of the One calling,
Rom 9:12 it was said to her, "The greater shall serve the lesser;" Gen. 25:23
Rom 9:13 even as it has been written, "I loved Jacob, and I hated Esau." Mal. 1:2, 3
Rom 9:14 What then shall we say? Is there not unrighteousness with God? Let it not be!
Rom 9:15 For He said to Moses, "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will pity whomever I will pity." Ex. 33:19
Rom 9:16 So, then, it is not of the one willing, nor of the one running, but of the One showing mercy, of God.
Rom 9:17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very thing I raised you up, so that I might display My power in you, and so that My name might be publicized in all the earth." Ex. 9:16
Rom 9:18 So, then, to whom He desires, He shows mercy. And to whom He desires, He hardens.
Rom 9:19 You will then say to me, Why does He yet find fault? For who has resisted His will?
Rom 9:20 Yes, rather, O man, who are you answering against God? Shall the thing formed say to the One forming it, Why did You make me like this? Isa. 29:16
Rom 9:21 Or does not the potter have authority over the clay, out of the one lump to make one vessel to honor, and one to dishonor? Jer. 18:6
Rom 9:22 But if God, desiring to demonstrate His wrath, and to make His power known, endured in much long-suffering vessels of wrath having been fitted out for destruction,
Rom 9:23 and that He make known the riches of His glory on vessels of mercy which He before prepared for glory,
Rom 9:24 whom He also called, not only us, of Jews, but also out of nations.
Rom 9:25 As also He says in Hosea, I will call those Not My people, My people! And those not beloved, Beloved! Hosea 2:23
Rom 9:26 "And it shall be, in the place where it was said to them, You are not My people, there they will be called, "Sons of the Living God." LXX-Hos. 2:1; MT-Hos. 2:23
Rom 9:27 But Isaiah cries on behalf of Israel, "If the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, the remnant will be saved."
Rom 9:28 For He is bringing the matter to an end, and having been cut short "in righteousness," "because the Lord" "will do a thing cut short" "on the earth." Isa. 10:22, 23
Rom 9:29 And as Isaiah has said before, "Except the Lord of hosts left a seed to us, we would have become as Sodom, and we would have become as Gomorrah." Isa. 1:9
Rom 9:30 What then shall we say? That the nations not following after righteousness have taken on righteousness, but a righteousness of faith;
Rom 9:31 but Israel following after a Law of righteousness did not arrive at a Law of righteousness?
Rom 9:32 Why? Because it was not of faith, but as of works of Law. For they stumbled at the Stone-of-stumbling,
Rom 9:33 as it has been written, "Behold, I place in" "Zion a Stone-of-stumbling," "and a Rock-of-offense," "and everyone believing on Him will not be shamed." LXX and MT-Isa. 28:16; MT-Isa. 8:14

So , I Samuel 6:6 is all you have?...
Those of you readiing this, refer to post #215. You either understand it, or you don't. But it has been made clear enough. And yes, read the links. They are there to provide information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity