Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 PM

33,316 posts, read 26,524,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When will this misunderstanding about Faith get resolved! The ONLY faith that mattered to our salvation was Christ's! It was His faith that achieved our salvation. We have nothing to do with it. The Good News is we can have faith that we are saved because of what Christ did . . . but our faith in that has nothing to do with it, It is NOT necessary for our salvation because Christ's faith achieved that for us all. The corruptions of Christ's message (Good News) into the Bad News in the "precepts and doctrines of men" is a travesty that has existed for far too long.
The New Testament states numerous times that we must have faith in Christ in order to be saved. You already know the verses. You simply don't believe them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,026,879 times
Quote:
When will this misunderstanding about Faith get resolved! The ONLY faith that mattered to our salvation was Christ's! It was His faith that achieved our salvation. We have nothing to do with it. The Good News is we can have faith that we are saved because of what Christ did . . . but our faith in that has nothing to do with it, It is NOT necessary for our salvation because Christ's faith achieved that for us all. The corruptions of Christ's message (Good News) into the Bad News in the "precepts and doctrines of men" is a travesty that has existed for far too long.
Amen, brother. As I've said before, I had FAITH in Jesus and God for YEARS and it did not profit me. Why? Because I had not been given the faith of Christ UNTIL God's sovereign time to give it to me.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,391,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And once again Universalism rears its head. No one has eternal life until they place their faith in Jesus Christ. There are no Scriptures which say that anyone is saved apart from faith in Christ. There are passages which Universalists take out of context in order to promote their belief. On the other hand, the Bible shows quite clearly that those who die without receiving Christ as Savior are eternally lost and will spend the eternal future in the lake of fire.

The finished work of Christ on the cross makes salvation available to those who trust in Jesus for the forgiveness of sins. It does not make salvation automatic apart from faith in Christ.

Unlimited atonement means that Jesus paid for the sins of the world. It does not mean that anyone is saved without personally receiving Christ as Savior.

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. IF anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever." (John 6:52-53)

That is a big IF.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. IF anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever." (John 6:52-53)

That is a big IF.
You are disqualified for the priesthood of Christ so long as you do not have the faith of Christ.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Quote:
The New Testament states numerous times that we must have faith in Christ in order to be saved. You already know the verses. You simply don't believe them.
I know the verses you refer to and they do NOT say what you insist on believing they say because of your mentors' "precepts and doctrines of men." The inner conviction and commitment to the higher guidance (Comforter) within our consciousness is the sign of belief ON/INTO (pisteuo eis) Christ. It is revealed in our "fruits" . . . NOT our claims and proclamations of faith. Those who truly follow Christ "love God and each other" . . . and it shows in their "fruits" . . . not their claims.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I know the verses you refer to and they do NOT say what you insist on believing they say because of your mentors' "precepts and doctrines of men." The inner conviction and commitment to the higher guidance (Comforter) within our consciousness is the sign of belief ON/INTO (pisteuo eis) Christ. It is revealed in our "fruits" . . . NOT our claims and proclamations of faith. Those who truly follow Christ "love God and each other" . . . and it shows in their "fruits" . . . not their claims.
To be saved a person must understand that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He died on the cross for his sins. And believing that, to then simply trust in Christ for salvation. Once a person has been saved through faith alone in Christ alone he is saved forever. Those who do not believe that Christ paid the penalty for their sins remain under condemnation and are headed for 'Torments' and ultimately for the lake of fire.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,935,337 times
I believe a Christian can lose their faith because the Bible says so: It warns Christians about this and cites examples of those from the Old Testament.

Please see, the parable of the sower. Hebrews 6:4-7, 1 Corinthians 10:1-14. Also consult Romans 11

:Ro 11:22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Quote:
To be saved a person must understand that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He died on the cross for his sins. And believing that, to then simply trust in Christ for salvation. Once a person has been saved through faith alone in Christ alone he is saved forever.
I know you believe this "easy peasy believism," Mike . . . but your mentors are misguided . . . besides being believers in magic and assorted spiritual entities. Your desire to believe on Christ is a good sign . . . but if it does not impact your "love of God and each other" daily and repenting when you don't . . . it is pointless. Fortunately, it does not affect our salvation . . . but it definitely affects our sanctification and what we will reap of what we sow here on earth.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I believe a Christian can lose their faith because the Bible says so: It warns Christians about this and cites examples of those from the Old Testament.

Please see, the parable of the sower. Hebrews 6:4-7, 1 Corinthians 10:1-14. Also consult Romans 11

:Ro 11:22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.
You are correct that the bible does say that people can shipwreck their faith and fall away, fall from grace, etc... I'm not sure how anyone who believes the bible is the infallible WORD of GOD could possibly believe in Once Saved Always Saved. Not saying I am worried about the matter, but it does astonish me that those who are die-hard bible-ists ignore the scriptural warnings about losing one's faith. I would think that some people are set up to lose their faith by listening to certain teachers who teach that God wants you to have everything good in the here and now -- just "say what you want" and God will give it to you. Or if they listen to those preachers who tell people to send them a "seed-faith" (MONEY) gift for the "ministry" and that God will mulitply that back them 100 fold (financially). And then I can see how those who are taught that God will always heal all our sicknesses and then they pray and the sick loved one dies, I can see how those people are being set up to lose their faith. There is a lot of false teaching in the world.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I know you believe this "easy peasy believism," Mike . . . but your mentors are misguided . . . besides being believers in magic and assorted spiritual entities. Your desire to believe on Christ is a good sign . . . but if it does not impact your "love of God and each other" daily and repenting when you don't . . . it is pointless. Fortunately, it does not affect our salvation . . . but it definitely affects our sanctification and what we will reap of what we sow here on earth.
Salvation and the spiritual life after salvation are two different things. Eternal salvation is through faith alone in Christ alone. Those who die without receiving Christ as Savior are eternally lost. Those who believe on Christ which means to understand that He is the Son of God and that He died a substitutionary death on the cross are eternally secure.

If by assorted spiritual entities you are referring to angels, the Bible is also quite clear that they exist. Not the topic of this thread however.

And neither is whatever you are referring to as 'magic' the topic of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity