Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
No I didn't.

See your posts 21, 23, 26 & 33
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 AM

231 posts, read 327,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
See your posts 21, 23, 26 & 33
Nothing about believing in God. Quite the opposite.

21: What guarantee do you give me if I end up in hell for believing a lie?

23: I want some sort of guarantee that Louis' interpretation of the Bible won't end me up in hell for not believing in your god. What can you offer me?

26: And how sure are you that what you just wrote won't be held against you in the judgment? Are you willing to trade places with me in hell if you're wrong? The grand ASSUMPTION here is that you're right in this whole thing. Except you are gambling with people's souls and openly declaring it on an internet forum.

33: What is ET/penal substitution? The actual point is, pleroo, if you're wrong and the plain promises of the Bible was not somehow negated by promises of love, grace, and mercy for, not only God's people, but for all mankind, I will experience ETERNAL (something no one can fathom) punishment. All because you don't like the idea of punishment from a deity and decided to try to convince others of your uneasiness.

If historical Christianity (reformed, roman catholic, or orthodox) is wrong, I still enjoy the comfort of eternal bliss with our maker.

SOOOOO, I want a guarantee, like anything promised to me by a salesman, that what they are selling me will work: the obvious, plain understanding of promises made in the Bible that my sin against God is not punishable.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:

The "lie" you are afraid of believing is that God will save all ... you would first have to believe in God to believe that God will save all.

Quote:
23: I want some sort of guarantee that Louis' interpretation of the Bible won't end me up in hell for not believing in your god. What can you offer me?

26: And how sure are you that what you just wrote won't be held against you in the judgment? Are you willing to trade places with me in hell if you're wrong? The grand ASSUMPTION here is that you're right in this whole thing. Except you are gambling with people's souls and openly declaring it on an internet forum.

33: What is ET/penal substitution? The actual point is, pleroo, if you're wrong and the plain promises of the Bible was not somehow negated by promises of love, grace, and mercy for, not only God's people, but for all mankind, I will experience ETERNAL (something no one can fathom) punishment. All because you don't like the idea of punishment from a deity and decided to try to convince others of your uneasiness.

If historical Christianity (reformed, roman catholic, or orthodox) is wrong, I still enjoy the comfort of eternal bliss with our maker.

SOOOOO, I want a guarantee, like anything promised to me by a salesman, that what they are selling me will work: the obvious, plain understanding of promises made in the Bible that my sin against God is not punishable.
So, there you go ... you were worried that if you believe the "lie" that God will save all people, you will end up being eternally tormented by God. And I'll ask you again: Why would believing in God and believing that God will save all be something for which God would torture you eternally?

Last edited by Pleroo; 05-03-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,353 times
Quote:

What if Islam is true and you go to hell, whom will you blame then?

What if exactly your attitude of following historical Christianity, just to be sure, makes you end in hell, even if it were true (maybe your attitude does not please God and you did not exactly believe as the dogma demands it), what then?

Your sentiments are to a large degree irrational, you even equate Protestantism with Catholicism when you put them par on par, personally I couldn't care less what you believe, I present and defend what I consider to be the truth, I am not trying to foist my opinion upon anybody.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
The "lie" you are afraid of believing is that God will save all ... you would first have to believe in God to believe that God will save all.
No I don't. The lie I'm afraid of is "atheism will eventually lead to blessedness." If I'm an atheist, I think I will be destroyed at death. If I'll be blessed otherwise, no need to change my course in this life. If I'll be damned otherwise, I may rethink my position.

You encouraging me that I'll be blessed may lead to my damnation. See?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
What if Islam is true and you go to hell, whom will you blame then?

What if exactly your attitude of following historical Christianity, just to be sure, makes you end in hell, even if it were true (maybe your attitude does not please God and you did not exactly believe as the dogma demands it), what then?

Your sentiments are to a large degree irrational, you even equate Protestantism with Catholicism when you put them par on par, personally I couldn't care less what you believe, I present and defend what I consider to be the truth, I am not trying to foist my opinion upon anybody.
I will blame myself and my sins.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
No I don't. The lie I'm afraid of is "atheism will eventually lead to blessedness." If I'm an atheist, I think I will be destroyed at death. If I'll be blessed otherwise, no need to change my course in this life. If I'll be damned otherwise, I may rethink my position.

You encouraging me that I'll be blessed may lead to my damnation. See?
If an atheist believes that God will bless them, then they are no longer an atheist ... see?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
There are no guarantees in life worth the paper they are printed on. This is the classic fear-induced rationale underlying Pascal's wager. It proceeds from an absurd premise that we can control what we truly believe . . . as a choice. We can NOT! We truly believe whatever we truly believe and do not believe what we do not believe. No amount of proclaiming belief will alter that. God cannot be fooled. It is a silly wager and a silly solution. To believe the wrong things is to "miss the mark" (Sin) . . . but God is not holding them against us. What Christian Universalism spreads as the Good News is that God IS love and we will only reap what we have sowed and not repented of in "love of God and each other."

Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
If an atheist believes that God will bless them, then they are no longer an atheist ... see?
If I don't believe this, it wouldn't matter. Me and my beliefs have no bearing on your gospel...unless of course your gospel is a lie. See?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There are no guarantees in life worth the paper they are printed on. This is the classic fear-induced rationale underlying Pascal's wager. It proceeds from an absurd premise that we can control what we truly believe . . . as a choice. We can NOT! We truly believe whatever we truly believe and do not believe what we do not believe. No amount of proclaiming belief will alter that. God cannot be fooled. It is a silly wager and a silly solution. To believe the wrong things is to "miss the mark" (Sin) . . . but God is not holding them against us. What Christian Universalism spreads as the Good News is that God IS love and we will only reap what we have sowed and not repented of in "love of God and each other."
This is not Pascal's wager. I only said that one should be careful when being dogmatic about universalism as the Bible is clearly not settled on the matter. There are plenty of verses that spell out the eternal damnation of some and to brush them aside and call the "all clear" is dangerous at best and declaring a curse on yourself and others at worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity