Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times

Advertisements

I personally do because I love people and would love to meet lots of people and build friendships with them in Heaven, I do know the only way to Heaven is through Jesus Christ and accepting Him as your Lord & Savior and turning away from your sins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 AM

794 posts, read 846,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I personally do because I love people and would love to meet lots of people and build friendships with them in Heaven, I do know the only way to Heaven is through Jesus Christ and accepting Him as your Lord & Savior and turning away from your sins.
Heaven will be populated and hell will be a very barren place. John saw a multitude of people no man can number in Heaven.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
If more people end up in hell than in heaven then Benny Hinn was right, Jesus was and is a colossal failure; He failed miserably at the mission His Father sent Him on.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If more people end up in hell than in heaven then Benny Hinn was right, Jesus was and is a colossal failure; He failed miserably at the mission His Father sent Him on.
How so? God never suggested that his plan was to have more in heaven than hell.

Yes--the existence of hell ought to motivate us to want to tell people that there is forgiveness in Christ.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Yes--the existence of hell ought to motivate us to want to tell people that there is forgiveness in Christ.
So you recruit based on fear.

A question: When you try to convert someone do you ever mention how awesome Jesus was? Or do you just tell them, "He's your fire escape in case you're worried about burning in hell." Do Jesus' good works on this earth get mentioned? Any talk of, "Join us! We believe we're here to follow in his footsteps and serve the poor and needy. It's a terrific journey through life when you follow Jesus." Or are you just telling them they'll burn in hell if they don't accept him as their savior?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

A question: When you try to convert someone do you ever mention how awesome Jesus was? Or do you just tell them, "He's your fire escape in case you're worried about burning in hell." Do Jesus' good works on this earth get mentioned? Any talk of, "Join us! We believe we're here to follow in his footsteps and serve the poor and needy. It's a terrific journey through life when you follow Jesus." Or are you just telling them they'll burn in hell if they don't accept him as their savior?
Right.

A typical hellfire-and-damnation Christian walks up to a person to witness. The first thing he asks is, "Are you saved?"
The guy looks puzzled. Are his pants of fire or something. Why is this nut approaching him with such a ridiculous question. "Saved from what?"
"From the fires of hell. Do you know that you are a sinner and sin has created a chasm as wide as the Grand Canyon between you and God? Until you come to Jesus, acknowledge to him you are a sinner, repent of your sins and say the "Sinner's Prayer" you will never bridge this chasm between you and God. That bridge is Jesus. He's the one that allows you to walk across the chasm to heaven. But if you don't, you will die separated from God. God will have no choice but to throw you in hell to burn for all eternity."
"No choice? isn't He God. Can't He do everything?"
No, He cannot save you if you choose to continue in your sin and refuse to accept Jesus."
"I thought Jesus died for everybody."
"He did, but He can only save you if you accept Him as your Lord and Savior. Broad is the way that leads to destruction, and narrow is the way that leads to life. And few are there who find it."
"Well, your God doesn't sound like much of a God to me, if He can only save a few people. Why is it He can only save a few of us?"
"I can only tell you it's in the Bible, God's Holy Word. If you don't repent and come to Jesus you will die in your sins and be tormented in hell for eternity. Please, please accept Jesus right this second. You could walk out that door, get hit by a car, and it would be too late. You'd die and go to hell. Do you want that?"
"I think you'd better make an appointment with your psychiatrist. Have a nice day."

Some testimony, huh? Wins a lot of people to Christ that way.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. I don't recruit.

Not out of fear, or anything else. I am not trying to get anyone just to join my team or my cause.
Quote:
A question: When you try to convert someone do you ever mention how awesome Jesus was?
First....Jesus is still alive...so it's not that he WAS great...but that he IS. Don't mean to be a nitpicker, though.

Second...if a person hates God and has no use for Jesus -- either good or bad....how does that work? I know a lot of very happy pagans that don't care how awesome Jesus is.
Quote:
Or do you just tell them, "He's your fire escape in case you're worried about burning in hell." Do Jesus' good works on this earth get mentioned? Any talk of, "Join us! We believe we're here to follow in his footsteps and serve the poor and needy. It's a terrific journey through life when you follow Jesus." Or are you just telling them they'll burn in hell if they don't accept him as their savior?
Following Jesus' walk in good works isn't what the Gospel is about. He lived a perfect life on earth--we are not capable of that. The Good News is that we don't have to. If we trust in him we are forgiven.

After that, of course, we are to do good works and love and serve our neighbor--but that comes AFTER a person first trusts Christ. We are not to saddle a non-believer with the burden of being good for goodness' sake.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We are not to saddle a non-believer with the burden of being good for goodness' sake.
"Saddle"? You look at being good and doing good works is a burden? Wow. Moderator cut: delete
Jeepers. Goodness only knows how y'all feel about preparing a casserole to take to the neighbor who broke her knee.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-29-2013 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: off topic and a flame

Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,379,056 times
Quote:
No! Its not sad! Its Fair!! FAIR! FAIR! FAIR!! God's superior cosmic morality demands that the significance of one sin be worth eternal torture for everyone and their offspring just as the original sin doctrine says!! Its their fault for not choosing the one true religion out of thosands or millions of religions over the past 2000 years and their parents fault for having them born in a non-Christian culture!! Wide is the road to hell!!! (slams down gavel)

..Actually, sad are those who believe exactly what I just said above without question.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,126,771 times
The view of the misery of the damned will double the ardour of the love and gratitude of the saints of heaven.

The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. . .Can the believing father in Heaven be happy with his unbelieving children in Hell. . . I tell you, yea! Such will be his sense of justice that it will increase rather than diminish his bliss.

- Jonathan Edwards

No I don't agree with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity