Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:17 AM

376 posts, read 419,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio
He's awesome BECAUSE he saves us from hell.
Do you have a scripture which says that ?
So The Father sent The Son to save mankind from Himself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The view of the misery of the damned will double the ardour of the love and gratitude of the saints of heaven.

The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. . .Can the believing father in Heaven be happy with his unbelieving children in Hell. . . I tell you, yea! Such will be his sense of justice that it will increase rather than diminish his bliss.

- Jonathan Edwards
So Jesus steals God's glory by saving people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He's awesome BECAUSE he saves us from hell.
A hell that he creates for sinners. Its all nonsense. That's like me pointing a gun at you, demanding you swear loyalty to me, then putting it away if you comply. Does that make me your savior? Wouldn't it be better if I just never had the gun in the first place?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,019 times
Why are more people go to hell than to Heaven? Because humans love darkness more than Light. Pure love does not manipulate or control, God has given us a free will. We are created in the image of God that means we have a sovereign will, God respects and cannot overrule, but the Devil cannot do this either, but there is no love in him, so he deceives, manipulates, controls, kills and lies. There is a battle going on to get our souls, but we decide whom we want to serve. Some people may have a better chance than others, but God knows our hearts and he has chosen them that love him. And all kinds of people have made the right decision, so that a multitude of people will be in Heaven. God draws us by His love, the Devil hates us and tries to destroy as much as he can. If we would call it a game, the rules seem to be unfair, but God is God and He gives the rules and He told us in His revealed word. The Devil always attacks God`s word. Should God have said? Satan is sowing doubt and fear, but God`s love cast out fear. We need Jesus Christ, the power of the Holy Spirit and God`s love to overcome and receive what God has prepared for them that love Him.
God bless!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
The alternative is to believe in a god that is a nanny-pamby, wispy-washy god whose creation doesn't obey him, he has no control over them, but he just needs a friend bad enough that he is willing to overlook the worst offenses against him.

I am sorry, Sir....I will not believe in your God. He is much too small.
Come on Vizio, that is not the (only) alternative. But it is a straw-man. I don't believe in the god you just described either.

The alternative is that God is a wise and loving Father who is capable of correcting ALL and bringing them into a state where all will be reconciled.

A good and wise Father punishes and disciplines his children so they will be corrected and made better.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I personally do because I love people and would love to meet lots of people and build friendships with them in Heaven, I do know the only way to Heaven is through Jesus Christ and accepting Him as your Lord & Savior and turning away from your sins.
I find it sad that you subscribe to such dogma.

To each their own, learn from that statement.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Quote:
I personally do because I love people and would love to meet lots of people and build friendships with them in Heaven, I do know the only way to Heaven is through Jesus Christ and accepting Him as your Lord & Savior and turning away from your sins.

I don't see it as "sad"; I see it as false.
Well said.

What I have come to realize is if there were an eternal hell, then we are already in it. There can be no heaven if such a place ever existed. Thankfully it does not.

This world we live in right now is (a kind of) hell. Think about it for a bit. People argue over trivial matters like what their favorite football team is doing or what's happening on their favorite TV show, while our so-called leaders start wars and children in another country die to chemical weapons or depleted uranium or maybe just lose a limb to a land mine. And no one cares. Its ok, they are in Iraq or Syria or Afghanistan so they are probably going to hell anyway... according to many here.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Yes it is very sad, OP. That's why I quit my career, went to the seminary to become a pastor. Doing what I can. But it is what it is. No one can force people to give up their evil ways and their idolatry.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
So The Father sent The Son to save mankind from Himself?

So Jesus steals God's glory by saving people?
Good point.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
If someone was in danger of losing their life, say in a burning building, would you warn them of the danger of staying in the building or would you tell them how sunny and nice it was outside?
I'd tell them to take the stairs, not the elevator and to keep low to the ground because the smoke is what usually kills people.

Oh, I also encourage people to seek happiness. To look in the corners during their spiritual journey and expect something wonderful.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:37 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is so absurd. According to this ridiculous doctrine . . . God created this Hell to punish us for our disobedience so He could love us and send His Son to save us from it by horrendous scourging and crucifixion to appease His anger at us and His justice and Holiness . . . but He will only save us IF we claim to believe all this, love Him and His Son (who is actually Himself) . . . and we don't need to do anything else. Ri i i ight!
Quote:
The alternative is to believe in a god that is a nanny-pamby, wispy-washy god whose creation doesn't obey him, he has no control over them, but he just needs a friend bad enough that he is willing to overlook the worst offenses against him.
I am sorry, Sir....I will not believe in your God. He is much too small.
This is not your heart speaking, Vizio. I have too much faith in your humanity based on your chosen profession. It is the vanity and hubris of the human ego judging God by man;s savage and barbaric standards. It decries the meekness unambiguously displayed by Christ and which God says will inherit the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity