Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 06:19 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I can post a nice sign in my yard that says...oh...says, "Catholic Church"
Does that make my house a real Catholic church?
No, it dont...

It dont make my house a Catholic church,
No matter what the sign says.
The sign is moot.

Now you may try to argue that "It should mean something"

Im just saying that it means nothing.

This is also why many Christians sit hidden in Mormon churches, in Buddhist Temples and in the Islamic mosque.
The Christian church cant be found just because of a sign on a door...

Old 06-08-2009, 08:31 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
And you would be wrong, because the sign is moot.
The only important matter is that stuff you learn when you walk past the sign and enter in.
If "names are moot" whose name is on your bank account?,your S.S.?, your driver's license?, your marriage license?, your birth certificate?
This is one of the weirdest theories that I have heard!!!

Fellow brethren, I think we are beating a dead horse here!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM

241 posts, read 379,303 times
Quote:
This is key to understanding what Im saying.

God does not have a "name" like we do.*
My "name" is Alan, it was given to me by my dad.

But in a very real way God does have a "name" if we understand that the term is used in the bible to talk about God's essence and His authority.

The English word we speak with our mouths is moot.
The way we spell the name of God is moot.
The only important matter is understanding his authority, his position over creation.

I couldn't care less what a church calls itself.

There are tons of denominations in the world I have never heard of.
Im sure there are many churches that have the very same name, and yet have no connection to each other and each others teachings at all.

The name therfore is a poor guide to use, if that is all you think matters.

What is important?
That would be the essence of the church you are thinking about going to worship at.
Their faith, their teachings, and how everything has worked to change the hearts of the membership.

You see, it dont make you a Christian to go to the right church, hear the right teachings, and sing the right songs.
Thats just the stuff going in.
You become known as a Christian by the things that come out of you.
This is how we know your heart is of Christ.

This is also why many Christians sit hidden in Mormon churches, in Buddhist Temples and in the Islamic mosque.
The church cant be found because of a sign on a door, rather it is found in the hearts of the church.
In many ways if you are looking for a good place to find a Christian in worship, the size of the building the shape of the building and the name of the building are moot points to consider.

This question of name was at the center of the arrogance I found in my own connection to a COC in Washington.
The people I knew and were close to me at that church had a blind spot when it came to understanding the true goodness found in other denominations.

I saw much good in all the different denominations, they only seem to see "The wrong name"
It was a bad fit for me clearly...lol

(* Moses ran into this fact when he asked God for His name so that he could tell people who had sent him on the mission. The "I am that I am" answer is what God gave Moses. Now lets face it, "I am that I am"? thats not a name like "Alan"...LOL)
True enough, God does not have a name like we do but you wouldn't want anyone to call you Fido or Rover as these names people use for dogs. You wouldn't answer someone if that person called you that name or any name that is not Alan. The English words we speak is not moot because the bible is written in this language so that we might understand it. You have to know English in school in order to graduate and to use in everyday life. Spelling is not moot. People can be mislead just with spelling. The right church, the teachings, and the songs are not stuff because Christ didn't put salvation anywhere, He put it in His church (Acts 2:47)andifyou are not in it, then how can you be saved? The teachings or doctrine is very much important. There is a such thing as false doctrine. Jesus even warned His disciples about the false doctrine the Pharisees were teaching. Christ has His doctrine and that is the one that we must adhere to. Singing songs is how we praise God (Acts 2:47, Eph. 5:19, Col. 3:16.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
The name on the sign stuck out on the lawn is moot.

And what I have learned from just from being around the people I work with or the people I go to Korean Kumdo with is that everyone has their own word for "GOD"
That there are ways to spell the words that are totally weird to my eyes, and look like chicken scratchings to me...LOL

and yet, Im sure God gets his mail no matter how we spell his name....

So my point is, that forget the name stuff, thats just COC hype and myth.
You cant trust a name slapped on something and think to yourself, "Thats all I need to know"

People I have known were evil and mean had some of the most "Christian" names you could think of.
Other people I have known were great examples of what a Christian should be, yet had names that never once appear in the Bible.

So, it is very true what mom said, "You cant judge a book by its cover"
I understand what you're saying about what matters is what the people inside are doing.

But, you did not answer my question.

Is it ok to worship at the Church of Raymond, and pray to the god of the moon...as long as I do what the NT teaches with everything else?

Or was your answer yes?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:53 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Again your missing the point on the tradition I am not saying communion is a tradition I am saying taking it every Sunday is a tradition just like churches who only take it once and twice a year at certain times is a tradition.
I think you are missing the point that the New Testament is a book of example, as compared with the direct commands of the Old Testament.

I guess you think that since there is no direct command about how often to meet that 'forsaking the assembly of the saints' is only theoretical, because what if the assembly only meets every 25 years and you happened to be sick for all 3 meetings in your lifetime - you might never assemble with the saints but also never deliberately forsake the assembly.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:27 PM

309 posts, read 512,072 times
Quote:
I think you are missing the point that the New Testament is a book of example, as compared with the direct commands of the Old Testament.
So is all the churches that doesn't take it every Sunday wrong?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
In other words, if you don't belong to their church, your chances of making it to heaven are very slim.

But, one thing they teach that doesn't sit well with many people is that women should be submissive to men and never speak in church.

no padgett2,

women CAN speak in the church of christ. we are just not aloud to stand in the pulpit and preach. we can in fact teach classes and spread the truth(gospel). i know the scripture you are quoting from.believe me the way it actually is, is not as harsh as it seems..

Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
If "names are moot" whose name is on your bank account?,your S.S.?, your driver's license?, your marriage license?, your birth certificate?
!!!
You are in error , and have misunderstood my point.

But to use you questions-
I can have any name I want , I can call myself any name I want.
No name is more "Christian" than another...

In fact, thinking one person is more Christian than another based only on the name of the person is a bit silly right?

see?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I understand what you're saying about what matters is what the people inside are doing.

But, you did not answer my question.

Is it ok to worship at the Church of Raymond, and pray to the god of the moon...as long as I do what the NT teaches with everything else?

Or was your answer yes?
You can worship God anywhere.
Inside the Sistine Chapel
Outside on a lake.
In outer space.
Under water.
In bed.
In a Mormom church, on the roof of a buddhist temple....anywhere.

As long as the God you worship is the one true God, you are going to find that:
Wherever you are, is a place of worship.
Whatever you are doing, is an act of worship.
Okay?

So to answer your question:
I have to first tell you that I dont know what the term " the god of the moon" means?
But as long as the "God of the moon" is the same Trinity God of the Bible I got no problem with it.
There is nothing wrong with people calling him "God of the moon"...after all, My Lord is said to be the Lord of the Heavens and the earth...

So MY ANSWER IS "YES"

Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM

241 posts, read 379,303 times
[quote=alanMolstad;9195518]You are in error , and have misunderstood my point.

But to use you questions-
I can have any name I want , I can call myself any name I want.
No name is more "Christian" than another...

In fact, thinking one person is more Christian than another based only on the name of the person is a bit silly right?
There is no name better than Christian period! Isaiah 56:5 says that "God would give the Gentiles a name better than of sons and daughters, an everlasting name that shall not be cut off" and that name is Christian. This
is the only name for God's children. No prefixes or suffixes. There is no such thing as Catholic Christian, Baptist Christian, Methodist Christian, or any such like. Either you are a Christian or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity