Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 12:56 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,314,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
True.

I simply present it as

The Bible is God's word.
Jesus is the Word of God.

The Bible tells us, using words, about the Word of God (among other things). Gotta listen to both.
Excellent post:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 01:17 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Abraham was not "God-breathed".
Jacob wasnot "God-breathed".
Samson was not God-breathed.
David was not "God-breathed".
Peter was not "God-breathed".
"God breathed" is NOT some magical incantation that is applied to anything. It means "God-inspired" and ONLY human beings can be so inspired . . . NOT books.
Quote:
Yes---he worked through flawed men. There does not exist a claim in scripture that any of those men are flawless, or that God prohibited them from sinning.
You would need to demonstrate a time when God has lied.
John 17:17 states that God's word is Truth.
2 Tim 3:15-17 also is a good statement regarding Scripture. Why would Paul think it good for all correction if it was flawed?
You would need to demonstrate a time where God actually spoke to you, Vizio . . . otherwise you are again using other men's recorded words. For example your John 17 scripture BEGINS "These words spake Jesus . . ." NOT these words spake scripture or the Bible!!! As for 2 Timothy by what spurious logic do you proclaim that instructions must be perfect to be USEFUL (profitable)????

Old 03-20-2015, 01:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Excellent post:
Agreed. I think saying "God's word" is a little out of bounds, but I can live with itin the context of the rest.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Thanks

Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Abraham was not "God-breathed".

Jacob wasnot "God-breathed".

Samson was not God-breathed.

David was not "God-breathed".

Peter was not "God-breathed".

Yes---he worked through flawed men. There does not exist a claim in scripture that any of those men are flawless, or that God prohibited them from sinning.

You would need to demonstrate a time when God has lied.

John 17:17 states that God's word is Truth.

2 Tim 3:15-17 also is a good statement regarding Scripture. Why would Paul think it good for all correction if it was flawed?
I agree. They were all fallible men that God used. The authors of biblical texts were, too. I can provide dozens of Scriptures where they

But your conclusion is that people can be flawed but when it comes to written words God changes His mode of operendi. That' convenient--but it isn't supported biblically.

Where are the words inerrant and infallible in the Bible? You take words IN the Bible and translate them to mean inerrant and and infallible which are NOT in the Bible. And yet you have no obvious repentance for adding words to the Bible? How is that taking the Bible literally? You haven't taken it literally, you have self-translated Scripture to support a pre-conceived improper notion about Scripture.

Bottom line, for all your claims that liberals "translate" freely, you are guilty of the same thing.

Church fathers Origen and Augustine rejected the Bible as "scientific" explanations for creation. 1700 years later suddenly a new theological view invades Christianity. The emphasis is no longer on Jesus, the story of import when I was growing up, but the story of the Bible in which you think you have salvation.

The Bible has become the idol worshiped and living for Jesus is just another "step" that can't even begin until the Bible becomes inerrant and infallible. And I make no apology for condemning anything that people use to avoid the Lordship of Christ.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-20-2015 at 10:23 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 09:01 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
True.

I simply present it as

The Bible is God's word.
Jesus is the Word of God.

The Bible tells us, using words, about the Word of God (among other things). Gotta listen to both.
Not true, God said this is my beloved son in whom i am well pleased....... Listen to him.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:23 AM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not true, God said this is my beloved son in whom i am well pleased....... Listen to him.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I believe we should listen to Jesus AND the Bible. When Satan was tempting our Savior, Jesus quoted from the Bible every time and referred to Biblical passages many times in His admonitions.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
I believe we should listen to Jesus AND the Bible. When Satan was tempting our Savior, Jesus quoted from the Bible every time and referred to Biblical passages many times in His admonitions.
And when the Bible is (at least apparently) in opposition to what Jesus taught?

Old 03-28-2015, 09:16 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Hey Bob,

Why do you not think Jesus said when he was being tempted " the word of God says man shall not live by bread alone". What Jesus actually said was it is written we live by the word of God. I take that for what it is saying. We do not live by what is written but by the word of God. If we live by what is written Jesus would have said so.

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

The word of God is what proceeds from the mouth of God, and i do not believe for one minute, that what is written is the mouth of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity