Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 04:12 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I see nothing in scripture to suggest that God is continuing to add to the canon. 1 Cor 13:8 states that prophesies will cease -- that they were for a time. I don't believe that I can get up and say "Thus saith the Lord!" and give new revelation for today.

I believe that God has called me into ministry. But no--he does not speak to me on a weekly basis in the same manner he spoke to an apostle or prophet in Biblical times.

If he did....should I call a church council and add it to the canon?
Nateswift gets it. And you have exposed yourself as a true fundamentalist. God stopped speaking once the Council of Nicene met.

Truly a sorry condition.

But the rest of us still are inspired now. We're still looking for that inspiration every day. Certainly in scripture, but more certainly in the lives of those around us that speak volumes of God alive today in the redemptive work of people with each other.

For you, God's grace is one of those one time things that keeps you looking in the past. For us it is the joyous expectation that the Good News is in the present and future as well as the past. When one actually looks for inspiration outside the Bible, it is amazing how much broader the scenery is than solely in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 04:54 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I see nothing in scripture to suggest that God is continuing to add to the canon. 1 Cor 13:8 states that prophesies will cease -- that they were for a time. I don't believe that I can get up and say "Thus saith the Lord!" and give new revelation for today.
I often wonder if this mentality of "it just isn't possible" is the biggest underlying cause of the many passing centuries without prophets or apostles stepping up and saying "Thus saith the Lord."

Quote:
I believe that God has called me into ministry. But no--he does not speak to me on a weekly basis in the same manner he spoke to an apostle or prophet in Biblical times.
A.) If you were called into the ministry, how did that happen? How is it possible that you could know that without receiving direct revelation from God above?
B.) Why does God love everyone who lived after that apostles less? Call it what you want, your doctrine of a closed canon essentially claims that God drops off a book and then abandons humanity.

Quote:
If he did....should I call a church council and add it to the canon?
I expect that if somebody did show up with a message from God, they would be ridiculed by you and those like you. He would most likely be killed for daring to claim that God had spoken to him.

Do you realize that insanity of that? God can't speak because you and others have decided that he can't. Anyone who does receive revelation is treated with contempt for claiming such a heretical thing as, "God spoke to me."

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 03-28-2015 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Nateswift gets it. And you have exposed yourself as a true fundamentalist. God stopped speaking once the Council of Nicene met.

Truly a sorry condition.

But the rest of us still are inspired now. We're still looking for that inspiration every day. Certainly in scripture, but more certainly in the lives of those around us that speak volumes of God alive today in the redemptive work of people with each other.

For you, God's grace is one of those one time things that keeps you looking in the past. For us it is the joyous expectation that the Good News is in the present and future as well as the past. When one actually looks for inspiration outside the Bible, it is amazing how much broader the scenery is than solely in the Bible.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:40 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,314,236 times
See Rom. 7:[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
If we truly believe in Jesus and beg Him to give us th Holy Spirit, He promises to give it to us, and that Spirit can enlighten our hearts so that we can serve intheto newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of th letter.
Jesus said in Matt. 5:[21] Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
[22] But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Jesus and His Spirit enhance the Spirit of the law.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 6,215 times
OSAS is biblically correct. Nothing we do or do not do "keeps" us saved. We are bought with a price. Believers become sons of God.Sinning still occurs because we are still in our fleshly bodies. Many people do not understand the difference between justification and sanctification.

You cannot go back into your mother's womb and be unborn again. Our salvation is never in question once we accept Jesus as our personal Savior. What is still in question is how well we run the race. Sinning and falling are all a given. Jesus died for us while we were STILL SINNERS.

Our good works will be judged at the JSOC/Bema Seat. We are not judged for our salvation, which is permenent but our sanctification and rewards.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:10 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Truly a sorry condition.

For you, God's grace is one of those one time things that keeps you looking in the past. For us it is the joyous expectation that the Good News is in the present and future as well as the past. When one actually looks for inspiration outside the Bible, it is amazing how much broader the scenery is than solely in the Bible
I cannot begin to tell you how planting seeds in my garden , watching squirrels and the birds of the air, the beauty of nature, have not increased my faith but spoken to me (in ways that cannot be explained too)like it was God himself talking to me, all of it God breathed and inspired.

For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD as the waters cover the sea

Old 03-29-2015, 05:58 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I cannot begin to tell you how planting seeds in my garden , watching squirrels and the birds of the air, the beauty of nature, have not increased my faith but spoken to me (in ways that cannot be explained too)like it was God himself talking to me, all of it God breathed and inspired.

For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD as the waters cover the sea
Pcamps, that was exactly how I felt the first time I stood atop Pike's Peak and looked west at row after row of snow-capped peaks, then turned east to look across the plains with their "amber fields of grain."

I know exactly that of which you speak.

God bless. The truth is revealed to those of us who know we don't deserve it, and hidden from those who think they do. It's a conundrum and I can't pretend to understand it.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,314,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin42yrs View Post
OSAS is biblically correct. Nothing we do or do not do "keeps" us saved. We are bought with a price. Believers become sons of God.Sinning still occurs because we are still in our fleshly bodies. Many people do not understand the difference between justification and sanctification.

You cannot go back into your mother's womb and be unborn again. Our salvation is never in question once we accept Jesus as our personal Savior. What is still in question is how well we run the race. Sinning and falling are all a given. Jesus died for us while we were STILL SINNERS.

Our good works will be judged at the JSOC/Bema Seat. We are not judged for our salvation, which is permenent but our sanctification and rewards.
We are saved by grace through faith in Christ. But we must also have the Spirit of the Holy Ghost. But the Apostles said in Acts 5:32 thatGod gives the Hply Ghost to those who OBEY HIM. The five foolish virgons were refused entrance to the great wedding feast because they had no oil in their lamps. I believe they did not have the Holy Ghost doing works of righteousness within them.

James said that faith without works is dead, but our natural works are as filthy rags, so we must have works done by the Holy Spirit to be saved.
Jesus said in Matt. 7:[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 03-30-2015 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
As I've written many times, there are too many texts in the Bible warning against falling away to maintain OSAS. I'll list a few. Paul also wrote part of a whole chapter on the subject. 1 Cornithians 10:1-13

Here's the relevant texts>

Jn 15:6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

Ro 11:21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.
Ro 11:22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

Heb 6:4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, Heb 6:5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, Heb 6:6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Also, read the parable of the sower. It clearly teaches that some fall away>

Lk 8:13 Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
As I've written many times, there are too many texts in the Bible warning against falling away to maintain OSAS. I'll list a few. Paul also wrote part of a whole chapter on the subject. 1 Cornithians 10:1-13

Here's the relevant texts>

Jn 15:6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

Ro 11:21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.
Ro 11:22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

Heb 6:4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, Heb 6:5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, Heb 6:6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Also, read the parable of the sower. It clearly teaches that some fall away>

Lk 8:13 Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away.
OSAS requires ignoring, not understanding, all verses on the subject. It is a pick and choose theology for a feel good belief.

When one accepts Jesus as their Lord and savior, that means they accept him as their Master if they are to be saved. If the master tells you to do something and you don't that is a rejection of him as your master, not an acceptance, regardless of what is claimed. Then the original claim of Jesus as Lord and Savior, was self serving and meaningless. Moist do thata s they do not want to go to ... hell. It is a selfish claim not a genuine one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity