Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:01 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I jumped into this conversation due to the appearance that two sides were speaking past each other, one side putting down the study as flawed and the other side supporting the findings. If some one claims that studies show that sex before marriage improves marriages then the onus is upon them to produce those studies. It was also not the size of the other studies but who were asked to participate that is bias as well.

What either of us believes is important only to ourselves unless and until we try to force that belief upon others, and I mean this in a total sense not just on this one topic. This particular topic is so personal that I think it should be left to each of us to decide for ourselves and not make a big issue of it, there are more important things to work on making one's marriage, life, world better than this one factor OMHO
But this topic speaks to a major proponent of Christian teachings. To suggest the opposite of the conclusion (not necessarily the study) is opposing that particular teaching so it's much deeper than how much you agree with a study.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:10 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
We are not discussing the study because you have already reiterated that the numbers are not enough to draw a conclusion. I didn't disagree with you, I think that is valid. For the 5th time, I'm not defending the study.

For the umteenth time.

I was only about the study from the get go. You wish to confuse the worthless conclusion with my personal opinion. Our opinions are not science no matter how much we want them to be. You decided the conclusions must be correct because you agreed with them. That is not science either.

Please give my best to the other's cowering behind you.

.......shh.... stop looking at me.....no pushing...... aaahahahahaha

Old 03-06-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
God gave women the ability to raise their children without men. Clearly you are not really necessary. God designed it that way. God did not make an imperfect choice. God knew women were not the weaker vessel. Women have been raising their children without men for centuries. That is fact.

You can get rid of the entire fornication argument too, given the fact sex is not a requirement for fertilization. The elimination of sin through science.

You do not have to agree.
Necessary =/= ideal

What you are talking about is what is necessary, I am speaking to what is ideal. You keep mixing the two concepts.

By the way you can argue that man can raise children without women too, but again that's not ideal either.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
For the umteenth time.

I was only about the study from the get go. You wish to confuse the worthless conclusion with my personal opinion. Our opinions are not science no matter how much we want them to be. You decided the conclusions must be correct because you agreed with them. That is not science either.

Please give my best to the other's cowering behind you.

.......shh.... stop looking at me.....no pushing...... aaahahahahaha
And once again I asked how does your personal opinion relate to Christianity?

Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
To be fair you are providing anecdotal evidence.
To be fair, I am providing evidence that is absolutely true.

In our family, premarital sex and living with a sexual partner worked very well. It saved our son from a probable bad marriage. On the other hand, his wife of 9 years is a real gem.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
So do you refute the findings? Do you think women who have children out of wedlock are more likely to stay married? What is the issues that you have with the information here?
You wish me to refute something you have not read, or understood. ummm, No.

My personal opinion is as follows;

Children are born into a family. Using the term out of wedlock is demeaning and unacceptable.

I do not believe women need to be married to have children, and raise children

I make no judgments about women having children, and raising children.

I make no judgement about women getting married, or staying married. It has nothing to do with children.

How ironic, you place women at the core of responsibility proving my point. You are not really needed.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:02 PM

So
Quote:
Necessary =/= ideal

What you are talking about is what is necessary, I am speaking to what is ideal. You keep mixing the two concepts.

By the way you can argue that man can raise children without women too, but again that's not ideal either.
Your ideal? You have decided everyone's ideal. You place the burden on women, making you less than ideal in the scheme of things.

Women have always been blamed for the failure of men.

"No, no. The rumor I taste like chicken is not true. I taste terrible."

The woman believed the snake, ate a piece of fruit, and it tasted good enough to share.
When God confronted the man about his sin, he pointed at the women and said,
"She did it"

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 03-06-2015 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-06-2015, 03:52 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
But this topic speaks to a major proponent of Christian teachings. To suggest the opposite of the conclusion (not necessarily the study) is opposing that particular teaching so it's much deeper than how much you agree with a study.
But does your God say that waiting until you are married results in happier marriages? If not then the study finding that it does not would not go against your religion as there are other reasons not to have sex before marriage. Is it important to you that any study needs to support your religious views?

Old 03-06-2015, 04:55 PM

25 posts, read 39,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
What either of us believes is important only to ourselves unless and until we try to force that belief upon others, and I mean this in a total sense not just on this one topic. This particular topic is so personal that I think it should be left to each of us to decide for ourselves and not make a big issue of it, there are more important things to work on making one's marriage, life, world better than this one factor OMHO
EXACTLY.

I have read through this whole thread, and I fail to understand why I should care about some study that purports to analyze whether premarital sex is a good thing or a bad thing. As far as I'm concerned, the question of whether to have sex before marriage is a personal decision, based on many possible factors, including (but not limited to) one's religious beliefs. I would not presume to make such a personal decision for anyone else, nor would I welcome anyone else thinking they have the right to do so for me.

For anyone who has made the decision to wait and feels this has had positive effects in your life, good for you. If you feel your personal experience is evidence that you made the right decision, that's great. Just be aware that your personal experience and/or what you FEEL it proves for you does NOT give you the right to judge anyone else's personal experiences or decisions.

In other words, you live your life and I will live mine. I won't tell you how to live your life, and I will thank you NOT to tell me how to live mine. I will respect your personal choices and your personal judgments as to what those choices have meant in your life. Likewise, I ask that YOU to respect MY personal choices and MY personal judgments as to what those choices have meant in MY life. It's as simple as that. If we can agree to that, we will get along fine. If not, well............................... who knows?

P.S. I'm not discussing my own personal choices in this post, because I feel that they have no bearing on the points I'm trying to make.

*Note: The last two paragraphs in the main part of this post are not directed at badlander, but at anyone who pushing the idea that there is only one "right answer" to this "sex before marriage" and that this one "right answer" is the one you have lived your life by.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
...... again you do not get to define my faith.

Here is my personal opinion. You are not Christian. You are a Fundamentalist. Your personal opinions have nothing to do with Christianity.

You will know them by their fruits.-- Mathew. I am capable of discerning bad fruit when it presents itself.

Hmm....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/38712709-post63.html

Quote:
No. A loving mother tells her son's they need to bring more than sperm to the table if they wish to raise a family. But rest assured they understand that their family will go on without them if they are irresponsible, at any time.

You are only entitled to get as personal as I allow you. I see your lack of information about me personally has caused you to speculate about something you call sever issues. ahahahaha I am very amused.

I do not hide my faith. I will not allow you to define it. Yet, you continue to speculate about it.

I do not consider you a Christian.
I consider you a Fundamentalist. Other than that, I have not spent a lot of time on it. There is no Fundamentalist board here, so you post in this forum.
Hmm...this reminded me of something

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...um-update.html

Quote:
By outright attacking another member's beliefs in their interpretation of, and understanding of Christianity, you are attacking that person. You are attacking that person inasmuch as their beliefs contribute greatly to who they are as people. This will no longer be tolerated. Despite the inevitable disagreements among members, these disagreements must be constructed in one's posts, where the member him/herself is not personally attacked for what they believe.
Seems like there is some cleaning up that needs to be done....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity