Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christians attend a friends gay wedding?
YES 148 75.13%
NO 49 24.87%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:46 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Don't use it. It's that simple.

PS There is no love in telling people what to say or not say.
No, there isn't. And in real life, I hope I wouldn't.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:48 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, I must have been updating my post when you were writing yours.

Yeah, I noticed that. I was going to come back and edit mine since it was overkill. Too late.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Don't use it. It's that simple.

PS There is no love in telling people what to say or not say.
Quote:
Go ahead then. Tell people to shut up if you think it's a loving thing to do

I forgot I was speaking to a "universalist agape lover", who tend to express their love with insults, accusations, judgment and by telling others to shut up.

Your post which I responded to didn't say anything about telling people to "shut up". Personally, I try not to use that term and when I have used it, I haven't felt it was a very loving thing to do because I was speaking in anger, rather than out of a desire to help.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:55 PM

Must be because I'm a sinner myself!

I don't run around telling people to shut up, but I do wish people would stop using that worn out phrase. It's not nice.

I have a few gay people in my church and in my life, and I care about them. To hear people condemn and sneer at them for who they are and pretend to hide behind Christ to spew their hatred does make me angry.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:

I don't run around telling people to shut up, but I do wish people would stop using that worn out phrase. It's not nice.

I have a few gay people in my church and in my life, and I care about them. To hear people condemn and sneer at them for who they are and pretend to hide behind Christ to spew their hatred does make me angry.
It was obvious from the context of what you were posting that you were simply making a point. You weren't telling an individual to shut up. There's a big difference.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:00 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Everyone is a sinner.

Quote:
I don't run around telling people to shut up, but I do wish people would stop using that worn out phrase. It's not nice
I don't use it knowing its from Gandhi, but I don't think it is offensive at all. You should love the sinner regardless of their sins.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide in Christ View Post
We are not even to eat with a person who commits sin yet calls themselves a brother/christian. This does not apply to the whole world, because it is not our place to judge those outside the church, God judges them, but only to those in the church.

We are to call out sin because if we do not, we may be held accountable for it. The sinners blood may end up being on our hands if we do not speak truth, if we do not speak truth to some, that is the opposite of loving them. Another commandment we are to observe, love our neighbor as ourselves
Yes, we are qualified to judge sin because all in Christ have themselves ceased from committing sin willfully.
This is why Christ condmened sin in the flesh, so that we would be freed from its influence and not be under the dominion of sin any longer.

Those who sin and are in the church, must be kicked out of the church for they are not in Christ
It's going to be a very empty church. How long will you still be there?

Old 04-18-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It was obvious from the context of what you were posting that you were simply making a point. You weren't telling an individual to shut up. There's a big difference.
Thanks.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:04 PM

11 posts, read 7,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It's going to be a very empty church. How long will you still be there?
It won't be a 'mega-church', but it will be a real church. It may not be full of people initially but it will be full of the Holy Spirit which will lead people to repentance, turning from sin, the Spirit, love and life.

Anyways, it is what God tells us in His word to do

Old 04-18-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Everyone is a sinner.

I don't use it knowing its from Gandhi, but I don't think it is offensive at all. You should love the sinner regardless of their sins.
It's not offensive in and of itself, but it's often misused as a covering to spew hatred, most often for gay people.

Do most people who believe gay people are an abomination but claim to love them ever invite any such people to their homes for a meal? Bring them soup when they are sick? Comfort them when they are grieving?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-18-2015 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity