Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You’re pulling that one out again? As I said to you before when you brought this up:

A “grown” child who was groomed by an adult who had complete authority over them for 18+ years has had their ability to refuse to consent effectively removed.

How do you not understand that?
Jeff does like to bring out his PRATTs.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You can't just compare an ancient culture to our modern day society and then judge them.
In that same vein of thought, you cannot take an ancient culture and judge people today by it.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
In that same vein of thought, you cannot take an ancient culture and judge people today by it.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Jeff does like to bring out his PRATTs.
What’s s PRATT?

Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What’s s PRATT?
Point Refuted A Thousand Times.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

When you ignore what is in your heart for what is "written in ink" you are being heartless and contrary to Christ's instructions. I do not want to believe that your heart actually resonates with some of the barbaric and evil things in the Bible that you accept and seem to revere. That would not be good for your fate, IMO. I believe that you know in your heart what God would actually want and your heart is probably fine, but you override it in obedience to what you THINK God wants as "written in ink." At least, I hope that is true otherwise your heart is a truly clanging empty vessel.
Does it ever get old? The smug Gnosticism? The constant badgering and insulting? Your little I’m better than you because God talks to me attitude?

Old 09-19-2018, 11:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Your post is completely irrelevant and dodging my point which is that if sexual orientation is part of a person's identity and they have ZERO choice in the matter then why is it ok to punish them for having the misfortune of being born with that type of orientation?

It just shows how the notion of sexual orientation at birth is a farce. Just swap out one form of orientation that you celebrate with one you don't approve and now it is problematic. The consent argument is irrelevant. You can't just compare an ancient culture to our modern day society and then judge them. You don't have all the facts. God designed us for the opposite sex.
You are the one conflating sexual orientation with sexual deviation. Consent is EVERYTHING, even for your bakers who demand they be allowed to “consent” to walking a second mile.

Quote:
Rarely does a pedophile experience sexual desire for adults of either gender. They usually don’t identify as homosexual; the majority identify as heterosexual, even those who abuse children of the same gender. They are sexually aroused by extreme youth, not by gender.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-k...b_1932622.html

And you are the very worst at trying to ram ancient culture into a 21st century setting. Your defense of ancient marriages has nothing to do with guessing. Marriage of older males to children was common. So was slavery. There were reasons for that being so, yet none of them reflect our modern growth in morality.

So are you supportive of 50 year old men marrying 14 year olds in Alaska? Is that a marriage made in your modern heaven?

Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
The curse of sin did.
Why would god create the curse in the first place? Why did he create satan?

Old 09-19-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Your post is completely irrelevant and dodging my point which is that if sexual orientation is part of a person's identity and they have ZERO choice in the matter then why is it ok to punish them for having the misfortune of being born with that type of orientation?

It just shows how the notion of sexual orientation at birth is a farce. Just swap out one form of orientation that you celebrate with one you don't approve and now it is problematic. The consent argument is irrelevant. You can't just compare an ancient culture to our modern day society and then judge them. You don't have all the facts. God designed us for the opposite sex.
Who cares what the orientation is?

What matters that any sex that occurs is between consenting adult. Orientation is not the act itself.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
When you say Jesus talks to you, and he gives YOU a different message than anyone else, and you say MY message is wrong, then you are doing just that.

That's exactly what nate and mystic have done, as well.

It's what so many people do on this forum daily, when they post their snide comments about us "fundies" and how we actually believe the Bible.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what atheists have been saying a long time. There are so many flavors of christianity that what is at one side of the spectrum doesn't resemble at all what is at the other side.

I've asked the question many different times as to how I, as an atheist, can get the same feeling you do, and how can it be replicated. No one ever has been able to answer it other than to say it is written on one's heart, whatever that means. Or open up one's heart. Or read the bible and the spirit will guide you.

I've READ and STUDIED the bible. All of it. In context. In more than one language. And doing so made me, and many, many others, atheists.

Don't skip any parts. They tell a story. How many gods did the Hebrews have as example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity