Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times

Advertisements

I don`t think you should forsake Jesus Christ because some of these Christian leaders are wicked preachers who use their position and condemn others like rock stars and actors do , To here if a leader in the media make a comment which is negative political then I will avoid their music and never watch them in movies or TV turn the channel , I got other thing going on and listening to them is not one of them , as I do not hate them but I will not be influenced by any of their views , like who cares what they like on face-book

Old 03-01-2016, 02:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Where is Graham with Christ?

Let's see....he inherited his father's job and all the goodies like a private jet, he makes $622,000/year running his charity and he tells people to boycott Wells Fargo and cookies because he thinks the LGBTQ are sinners headed for hell. I'm not seeing Christ in any of that.
From what I've seen from him, his heart appears to be in the right place. I've used some of his material in an outreach with other churches in the area. I've also gotten involved with his Samaritan's Purse ministry and I know he does a lot with the National Day of prayer.

Of course, people don't seem to pay much attention to that stuff because it doesn't affect things they personally care about.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:58 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
From what I've seen from him, his heart appears to be in the right place. I've used some of his material in an outreach with other churches in the area. I've also gotten involved with his Samaritan's Purse ministry and I know he does a lot with the National Day of prayer.

Of course, people don't seem to pay much attention to that stuff because it doesn't affect things they personally care about.
I can somewhat agree with this if we are talking about several years ago, but over the past few years he has basically become Jerry Falwell on steroids. Jerry Falwell was known for his political activism, self-righteousness, and dividing this country religiously and politically. He is not known much for any good he may have done on the side.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:02 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'll put it this way. If I am friends with somebody on Facebook and I see they follow Franklin Graham, I lose a ton of respect for them. The reason is Franklin Graham isn't preaching the Christian gospel. He is preaching politics, divisiveness, hatred, and bigotry. In my opinion he is by far one of the most dangerous figures in modern Christianity. He has a big bullhorn and people listen because of his last name. If it wasn't for being the son of Billy Graham (who he is nothing like) he would likely not be taken seriously except by the most fringe segment of evangelicalism and be regarded in the same way as people like Scott Lively or Kevin Swanson.

And yes, I have been disillusioned with evangelicalism for quite some time because of people like Franklin Graham and his followers. It's been difficult for me to go to church ever since the SCOTUS decision (when my dad's church decided to burn a rainbow flag) and in the past five months or so I haven't went at all.
Are you giving up on Christianty? Maybe you need to find a church more to your liking.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
From what I've seen from him, his heart appears to be in the right place.
So.... promoting anti-LGBTQ protests and boycotts shows you his heart appears to be in the right place?

Old 03-01-2016, 03:09 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So.... promoting anti-LGBTQ protests and boycotts shows you his heart appears to be in the right place?
Why would a Christian leader want to support something that directly opposes the Gospel?

Old 03-01-2016, 03:47 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Don't confuse them, jimmie. They're bound and determined that he hates children. They don't want to be bothered by facts. If he doesn't support their pet cause, he must be evil.
Why doesn't Franklin stand for what the Girl Scouts stand for:
Quote:
The Girl Scout Promise
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.
The Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and to
respect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.
What We Stand For

Oh, I know---it sounds too much like Jesus.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Why would a Christian leader want to support something that directly opposes the Gospel?
Why do you avoid answering questions by asking questions?

Franklin may be a Christian fundamentalist leader but he doesn't speak for anyone outside of fundamentalism.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:58 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
To be boycotted by a moronic fundamentalist should be considered a badge of honour. The Girl Guides should be proud.

I hope their cookie sales skyrocket.
It seems they have!

The Missouri Girl Scouts are up $350,000 in donations since the archbishop declared them to be evil.

Missouri Girl Scouts haul in more than $350,000 in donations after criticism from St. Louis archbishop

That's a LOT of cookies.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It seems they have!

The Missouri Girl Scouts are up $350,000 in donations since the archbishop declared them to be evil.

Missouri Girl Scouts haul in more than $350,000 in donations after criticism from St. Louis archbishop

That's a LOT of cookies.
Good for sensible Missourians!

I hope it's record sales across and up and down the continent. (And so do dentists.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity