Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
You need to understand that there are no absolute morals; as you show in your post.
Maybe for you but the bible has Absolute morals, God is good, the absense of God is evil.

The bible is very clear on what is good and bad. I feel sorry for you and evolutionary man's future that you don't know.

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
You guys have dodged the issue I raised before. How do you go from 8 to 600,000+ in 875 years with the population doubling every 150 years like AIG claims?
The population more than doubled in the first 150 years. Noah had three son each had children. If each had eight children, that would be 24 children in the first 30 years or so. This would be a tripling of the population in the first thirty to fifty years. I think the population growth is a function on a graph, where it starts out rapidly moving up. Then as time progesses the rate tapers off. So, this statement of doubling every 150 years is not entirely true, since the rate is changing over time.

Why is it that you want to get 600,000 people in 875 years. I have glanced through the previous posts, but I am not clear what you have been trying to get at.

789 posts, read 1,334,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
naw that was the big bang, millions and billions of years ago which no one was around to "observe" another scientific terminology
Which is what we are NOT talking about.

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
It's a leap of logic to think evolution has anything to do with the origins of life.

How do you go from 8 (on the ark) to 600,000+ (Exodus) in 875 years (time between flood and Exodus) with the population doubling every 150 years (AIG's model)?
fancofu, I think you just gave AIG another reason to update their website....I imagine they have to do that quite a lot as new discoveries continue.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
What is your education background?
University

Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 AM

789 posts, read 1,334,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The population more than doubled in the first 150 years. Noah had three son each had children. If each had eight children, that would be 24 children in the first 30 years or so. This would be a tripling of the population in the first thirty to fifty years. I think the population growth is a function on a graph, where it starts out rapidly moving up. Then as time progesses the rate tapers off. So, this statement of doubling every 150 years is not entirely true, since the rate is changing over time.

Why is it that you want to get 600,000 people in 875 years. I have glanced through the previous posts, but I am not clear what you have been trying to get at.
Moses led 600,000 men during the Exodus which was 875 years after the flood. You should also include disease, war, famine, inbreeding, etc. but I'll be generous and say you don't have to.

Quote:
The Exodus is said to have happened 3,584 years ago. That leaves 2,416 years to go from 2 to at least 603,550. You also have to figure in all the other people that weren't involved in the Exodus. Figure in the flood, which is said to have happened in 2,350 BC, 875 years before the Exodus, how do you go from roughly 8 people (on Noah's Ark) to over 603,550 (not everyone was involved in the Exodus) in 875 years. Sin was rampant at this time so you can't say that inbreeding and disease were not factors in population growth.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default Reformed Liberal

I consider myself to be a Christian, believing Jesus died for my sins, but I do not take Genesis literally. Just because I believe the earth is older than 6,000 years does this make me not a Christian? Some things, particularly the New Testament I just take on faith, not trying to explain things scientifically. The resurrection and much of the New Testament is miraculous. I think when you try to take the Bible literally you run into problems.

I believe evolution is a theory, just like gravity. We tend to more readily accept gravity than evolution as it does not go against fundamentalist Christianity.

I have background in biomedical engineering, history, economics, and marketing and currently head up commercial banking for a large money center bank in Chicago. I am not some liberal wannabe.

Fancofu,

Your numbers argument is very compelling:

The Exodus is said to have happened 3,584 years ago. That leaves 2,416 years to go from 2 to at least 603,550. You also have to figure in all the other people that weren't involved in the Exodus. Figure in the flood, which is said to have happened in 2,350 BC, 875 years before the Exodus, how do you go from roughly 8 people (on Noah's Ark) to over 603,550 (not everyone was involved in the Exodus) in 875 years. Sin was rampant at this time so you can't say that inbreeding and disease were not factors in population growth.

Reformed,

You may be out of your league in these discussions regarding population growth. Numbers are numbers. Faith is faith. Please don't try to mix the two.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Which is what we are NOT talking about.
What you are talking about is you DON'T know, that is why you guys always say, we don't know right now but science will answer, and that is faith therefore evolution is a religion not science.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,938 times
Default boom!

I believe in evolution about as much as I believe that an explosion in a junkyard full of old car parts and pieces of scrap metal can result in a brand new Cadillac Escalade fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. We have to remember that it is and was just a theory and nothing more.
ArtCMe

Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
All carnivores eat vegetation, but that vegetation comes from the stomachs of the animals they kill. This is necessary to obtain proper nutrients. I have seen this behavior first hand with Cougar kills on deer. Take a look at the teeth of any carnivore. They are not designed for vegetation, and to claim that in Noah's day all animals were vegans is beyond belief.

The only place I would expect that hypothesis is on an AIG website...It's just silly.
Tooth design does not dictate what an animal eats. Sharp teeth can be used for cutting up vegetation as much as meet.

All animals were vegetarian from the beginning. So their teeth were used for eating fruit and vegitation from the beginning.

Look at the teeth of the panda, very sharp, yet they eat only vegitation. or certain dear in Alaska eat small birds. So the idea that teeth shape dictates diet is a false assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity